Help Pleez - getting selected posts to the front page fetch

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 07:38 am
Hi Gang/CdK!
I haven't mooched/picked craven's brain in a while...so i figure i'm do Smile
One of my holy grails has been to select a post, and toggle a button to allow it to post to the front page (using phpfetch) - anyway, I'm not there yet!
Someone did install a "readmore" function - where you type [readmore] and the word readmore appears at that point in the post, and it splits the post, which was holy grail .5 - now if i could just get more control over which posts go to the front page (instead of just the first forum) I'd be ruler of the universe, or, at least have a potentially better site.
Any ideas? any code? anyone read this? Smile
Thanks for any help!
Gary
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,895 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 08:17 am
Hey, I found a question I can answer!

Quote:
anyone read this?

Yep, I am reading it! Just feel totally helpless to offer anything other then that. Good seeing you around again though. You should stick around and chew the fat at the water cooler with us now and then. Wink
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 03:43 pm
Not sure exactly what you want done, but I think I do, and I think I already do it.

You want to be able to specify which threads show up on the home page right? Why not just have the sticky threads or announcements display and that way you can edit the thread, and decide whether it's displayed by choosing between sticky, announcement and normal.
0 Replies

gadgetaddict

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 08:15 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
Not sure exactly what you want done, but I think I do, and I think I already do it.

You want to be able to specify which threads show up on the home page right? Why not just have the sticky threads or announcements display and that way you can edit the thread, and decide whether it's displayed by choosing between sticky, announcement and normal.

um, because i don't know how Smile
actually, the way fetch is set up, the specified forum goes to the front page - i don't know how to make anything else go there. the stickys remain at the TOP of the various forums, but don't hit the front page. there's probably a simple way to do what i want - i just have no idea how.
my better choice would be what i've seen on say, phpnuke, where you can click a check box (if you have the permission) to make the post a front pager.
any simple way?
Buterflynet - i know EXACTLY how you feel. about the only thing i can answer is what i had for breakfast, and even then, sometimes i'm not sure Smile
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 08:45 am
Ok, in your fetch folder open posts.php

Find

Code:$CFG['posts_hide_normal'] = false;

Replace with

Code:$CFG['posts_hide_normal'] = true;

Now normal posts won't be displayed.

By setting the option below to false you make it display stickies.

Code:$CFG['posts_hide_sticky'] = false;

By setting the announcements option to true you hide the announcements and thereby force the page only to pull sticky threads.

Code:$CFG['posts_hide_announcements'] = true;

What I suggest you do is use stickies to determine front page threads, then set normal to true, announcements to true and sticky to false.

Now you can determine a front page topic from the posting page by making it sticky.
0 Replies

gadgetaddict

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 08:49 am
thanks cdk - the reply just gave me a headache, but i'll try it!
0 Replies

gadgetaddict

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 08:58 am
thanks cdk - i tried it - and it returned my board to brand new condition - i.e. it hid all my posts. i tried it in the non-main forum, and it didn't pick up the sticky.
the problem at least with how i have fetch set up, is that it pulls all the posts from my #1 forum to the front page - so i have a bloated first forum, and can't get the other fora to the front - i don't know how to select what fetch will pull - or is your suggestion, that there is a way to have fetch pull ONLY stickies from each fora (once i establish that a particular fora can post to the front? - if so, that would simply mean i have to change the current front page posts to stickies (which is okay, or i can change the flags to make them announcements, etc. - and then i have to set fetch to accept those other fora.
one question - is there a way to limit permissions?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 10:02 am
Can you explain? I am not sure what you mean by permissions. Normal phpbb permissions are already handled by fetch.

Yes it's possible to do what you mention, but first download the lastest fetch as there was a bug I reported to Ca5ey months ago that he fixed. Then replace just the posts.php page and try again.

If it still doesn't work wait for me to release my own version of fetch all. Ca5ey gave me permision to distribute my own modified version (which is not yet ready).
0 Replies

gadgetaddict

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 10:19 am
sorry if i'm not clear - i'll try to be - and use actual examples.
on my rinky site, gadget news goes to the front page. you have to be a moderator to post to gadget news. no other forums will go to the front page.
i'd like to be able to post in say, Pocket PC Related, and have that picked up on the front page if i want that post there, otherwise i'd like to be able to just post to Pocket PC Related section and have it as a regular non-front page post. Likewise, I'd like moderators to be able to post to Pocket PC Related and choose whether their post will go to the front page, or remain in that forum as a regular post.
there are roughly 34 forums (we may consolidate a bit) but i'd like the option for each forum to either go to the front page, or not, depending upon permissions and desired post.
whatcha think? i'm afraid to muck around with it too much because you put in a lot of custom coding (which is of course highly appreciated! Smile
0 Replies

gadgetaddict

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 10:27 am
okay, it's starting to come together. only moderators and up seem to have sticky/announcement capability, so my plan is to make phpfetch only pull the news items that are announcements. easy enough. i'm actually having trouble finding which forum to specify - i'm checking all over the place and can't remember how i set it up, so if you can hold my hand and tell me where, that would be 50% of my situation.
problem 2: hiding the "normal" posts from the front page results in an empty front page - that's okay - i can convert the existing front page news to announcements easily enough - the problem comes in - that the "recent discussion" column also gets wiped out - i'd like the recent discussions to remain while the rest of the front page is only announcements - any idea how to implement?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 10:37 am
The recent discussions runs off the same queries as the rest so it too will be limited to announcements.

The only way around it is to duplicate the code and have it run twice or to recode pretty much all of fetch.

The forum that fetch pulls from is determined in the actual fetch page, look for:

Code:$news = phpbb_fetch_posts();

There should be a number within the parenthesis but if you remove it like my example shows it will fetch from all forums.
0 Replies

gadgetaddict

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 10:42 am
i want my mommy! no easy way to keep my recent discussions? i hate this tradeoff Sad i wouldn't mind duplicate code to make it happen - i just have no clue how i'd do that!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 11:21 am
gadgetaddict wrote:
no easy way to keep my recent discussions?

No easy AND smart way. There is an easy and dumb way but it will double the load on your server and make your pages slow.
0 Replies

gadgetaddict

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 11:24 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
gadgetaddict wrote:
no easy way to keep my recent discussions?

No easy AND smart way. There is an easy and dumb way but it will double the load on your server and make your pages slow.

wah, i want my mommy! <sucking thumb>
is there a better suggestion of a portal to use? or is there a way to cache the recent discussions so the server isn't doing double duty on every refresh? is nuthin' easy?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 11:36 am
I'd lose the recent discussions altogether. Or just live with the server load.
0 Replies