Why doesn't the film industry accept bisexuals?

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 04:28 pm
I'm quite sure the "film industry" "accepts" bi-sexuals at least as much, and probably a lot more so, than most other industries.

If and when there is a compelling and commerically viable story to tell on film that features bi-sexuals, you will see the movie.

The film industry in this nation hardly flees from contraversy and so the paucity of bi-sexual film characters probably has very little to do with prejudice or fear.

Are you suggesting that the characters in conventional Hollywood fare can just as easily be rendered as bi-sexuals as heterosexuals or homosexuals?

There aren't extensive collections of novels or plays that feature bi-sexual characters and both are common source material for films.

There is neither a classic bi-sexual formula that can be done and redone by numerous filmmakers nor enough imaginable bi-sexual specific narratives.

0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 05:21 pm
@msolga,
Quote:
Maybe because there aren't too may good scripts around with bisexual characters?
Napoleon, Hitler, Caesar (most Roman Emperors), can all have good arguments put forward towards their bisexuality. One of the problems is it can be quite difficult to determine someone's sexuality whilst they are alive, once they are dead and there is some passage of time, it becomes even more difficult. Add to that a heterosexual nature tends to hide a homosexual nature, and bisexuality is very difficult to determine. You have most likely seen many movies about a bisexual person, it just did not address their bisexuality.
joefromchicago

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 05:26 pm
@Muarck,
Muarck wrote:

I did point out where you disagreed with yourself:

Quote:
Bisexuality involves a CONFLICT. In this particular case, it is the conflict between heterosexuality and homosexuality.

Quote:
Happy, contented bisexuals can't be at the center of a drama, because they LACK the requisite internal CONFLICT.

Let me see if I can help you out here:

Quote:
Bisexuality AS PORTRAYED IN THE MOVIES involves a conflict. In this particular case, it is the conflict between heterosexuality and homosexuality.

Normally, in a thread about characters in movies, I don't feel like I have to point out that I'm talking about characters in movies, especially when the original poster (i.e. you) specified that s/he was talking about characters in movies. I recognize now, however, that I need to exercise special consideration when I'm discussing these sorts of things with you, given your apparently limited mental faculties. My sincerest apologies.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 05:30 am
@Ionus,
Quote:
You have most likely seen many movies about a bisexual person, it just did not address their bisexuality.

Well yes, I probably have, Ionus.

What I meant was that there probably aren't too many good scripts around with bisexuality as a feature of the plot.
0 Replies