Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 10:55 am
@Letty,
Quote:
Anyone remember Carson McCullers?

How can anyone over the age of 30 forget Carson McCullers? The Heart is a Lonely Hunter; Reflections in a Golden Eye, The Sad Hotel. Brilliant writing. Brilliant.
farmerman

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 11:39 am
@Merry Andrew,
heres a small bit of Jean Shepherd. Just in case someone thought he was that Christian COuntry music broad of the same name (just spelled differently)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjUHA1Laedw
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 12:07 pm
@tsarstepan,
I have fond memories of Keillor from when I was a kid, which has two parts -- it was a) before he was a big deal and b) while I could still hear. I've always considered him so local (I went to school with his son) and always have a moment of "wait, other places know about him too" when he comes up in this sort of thing.

As a kid, I loved listening to him. Very cozy/ homey associations. Kind of an irony-free zone, not sure what I'd think of him now, but I guess no matter what it'd be colored by early memories so would probably be positive. I haven't liked his writing as much as his radio stuff.

I haven't ever heard David Sedaris but I love love love his writing.

Redmond O'Hanlon and Douglas Adams are another couple of storytellers I'd add to the mix. (When I mention Douglas Adams I mean more his anecdotal writing like "Last Chance to See" than his fiction books.)

Also Calvin Trillin.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 12:30 pm
@sozobe,
I thought of Trillin too. I'll never forget his article about making tripe, er, from scratch.
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 01:04 pm
I enjoyed Justin Wilson and his Cajun stories.
I heard him live one time in Baton Rouge a long time ago.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 03:00 pm
The fact that Keillor and McLean are broadcast on public systems doesn't alter the fact that they both hope to sell their ancillary works to the public. The target audience of advertising which is not otherwise targeted is women between the ages of 24 and 54.
Setanta

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 03:02 pm
What i found most striking about Carson McCullers was that The Heart is a Lonely Hunter was published when she was just 23 years of age. She had great wisdom in one so young. The only other example i can think of of someone so young showing such insight into human nature and the human condition is Emile Zola.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 03:31 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
The fact that Keillor and McLean are broadcast on public systems doesn't alter the fact that they both hope to sell their ancillary works to the public. The target audience of advertising which is not otherwise targeted is women between the ages of 24 and 54.

They hope to distribute their programs to a wide audience. That is the aim of just about everyone in the media. Their target audience is anyone who might be interested in their work. They simply want people to listen & to enjoy their programs. They are not advertising or selling anything much else than that. (I'm not familiar with McLean, but I am with Garrison Keillor - via public broadcasting in Oz.)
Setanta

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 03:50 pm
@msolga,
You misunderstand completely, Miss Olga. Both of these gentlemen have books, tapes and CDs (at the least) which they wish to sell.
msolga

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 04:00 pm
@Setanta,
Well why wouldn't they, Setanta?
Everyone has to make a living, including public broadcasters. Good luck to them, I say. But I'm certain their "advertising" of their wares is nothing like the hard sell we experience on the commercial networks.
Setanta

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 04:04 pm
@msolga,
So what? I never mentioned anything about hard sell. I'm just pointing out that their style suggests to me that they are attempting to target the group most likely to buy their wares. It's a straw man to bring up anything about hard sell.
msolga

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 04:08 pm
@Setanta,
OK, OK, have it your way. Smile

Me, I see things very differently to you. I'm also a big fan of public broadcasting & appreciate the financial constraints compared to the commercials.
Setanta

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 05:24 pm
@msolga,
I don't know what kind of assumptions you are making here, but i am getting tired of having attitudes inferentially imputed to me without any basis. My only comment was that i didn't care for the style of those two because i feel that they tend to pander to sentimentality (and yes, i know that wasn't the language i used). I didn't say they were using a hard sell, i didn't say that they're not entitled to make money from their efforts, i didn't make a distinction between them and those who broadcast from commercial stations.

I do hope you will allow me to have a taste of my own, and exclude those two from it?
djjd62

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 05:25 pm
@Setanta,
no, you will like them or else

and then we're going to have a look at your wardrobe Razz
Setanta

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 05:41 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:
and then we're going to have a look at your wardrobe Razz

Oh, the humanity!

I agree with Beth and Djjd that one of the attractions of the Vinyl Cafe is the musical entertainment; i also often enjoy the stories that listeners send in.
farmerman

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 05:48 pm
@Setanta,
I remember the CBS's "Dead Dog Cafe". is the Vinyl Cafe similar?
djjd62

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 05:55 pm
@farmerman,
http://www.cbc.ca/vinylcafe/home.php

no the vinyl cafe is a radio show and traveling stage show much like prairie home

The Vinyl Cafe stories are about Dave, owner of the second hand record store. The stories also feature Dave's wife, Morley, their two children, Sam and Stephanie, and assorted friends and neighbours.

The motto of Dave's store - and of the radio show - is "We May Not Be Big, But We're Small".

the shows also feature music and stories from listeners

when the show is on the road the host uses local musicians and incorporates local stories into the shows
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 05:58 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
I don't know what kind of assumptions you are making here

Setanta, you had your say. I disagreed with you. And called it quits.
I honestly don't know what would be gained from pursuing this any further.
Let's just agree to disagree & get on with the thread topic.
Setanta

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 05:59 pm
Not really. DDC was sharply sarcastic political and cultural commentary from aboriginals--Jasper Friendly Bear, Gracie Heavy Hand and Tom King. It was based on a novel by King. He always played the patsy in their silly schemes. I greatly enjoyed it.

Vinyl Cafe is like an old fashioned radio variety show, with a musical guest, listener letters, stories submitted by listeners, and, of course, McLean's weekly story from the saga of Dave and Morley, his fictional married couple. I could do without the Dave and Morley stories, which, although often having hilarious passages, also often involved the sentimentality to which i object.

Where i did you hear Dead Dog Cafe? That show was great.
Lash

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 06:08 pm
@farmerman,
Correct about Jean Shepard. Thanks for reminding... The boyish glee, hardly restrained comes through in his voice... a very gifted expressionist.
0 Replies