Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 07:39 pm
Who can build the tallest tall tales? Spin the strongest yarn? Blissfully pull your leg while talking your ear off?

David Sedaris and Garrison Keillor both have the savvy to shell out somethings funny, somethings heartwarming, somethings heartbreaking, somethings embarrassing, and all stories human.

Garrison Keillor is the legendary host of the Minnesotan public radio show, A Prairie Home Companion.
http://prairiehome.publicradio.org/

David Sedaris is the hysterical self deprecating American essayist who is a reguluar on Ira Glass' This American Life.
http://www.npr.org/programs/specials/lists/sedaris/

And thanks to Djjd, I've become hooked onto Stuart McLean and his homey Canadian-centric Vinyl Cafe.
http://www.cbc.ca/vinylcafe/home.php

So who are your favorite storytellers? Are they raunchy storytellers? Family safe? Quaint and sentimental? Bitter and blisteringly funny? Are they charismatic and articulate? Are their stories true and autobiographical or too dangerously funny to be true? Do they make a living off of their rare talent?

djjd62

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 07:46 pm
@tsarstepan,
i have to admit, i don't get keillor, i've tried to listen and it doesn't do it for me

sedaris is very funny

i'm a big fan of mclean

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 08:17 pm
@djjd62,
I think that's Keillor's bleak Lutheranism that's an acquired taste. Growing up in Puritan New England, I can get his self deprecating gist and direction.
djjd62

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 08:23 pm
@tsarstepan,
i remember seeing him years ago on pbs and liking him (but only got to see him maybe once a year on pledge drives), but i've tried to listen to the podcasts over the last year or so and haven't got hooked, i'll keep trying every so often though
ossobuco

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 08:27 pm
@tsarstepan,
I didn't get Keillor for a long time, more that I didn't want to get him, something hokey homey annoyed me. Then one sunny day, listening to my car radio, I started to enjoy his show. I don't hear Sedaris, I read him, usually in the new yorker, and I'd never skip his writing. Don't know McLean, will check him out.

Who else? well, Richard Pryor.. but he's not current. I think of short story writers like William Trevor or Alice Munro, both probably acquired taste.
Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 08:31 pm
@djjd62,
Keillor is a disaster on TV. Even on radio, he's an acquired taste but, personally, I like him a lot (most of the time). You have to be able to appreciate stream-of-consciousness to follow his spiel. Funny thing -- I don't like Keillor as a writer at all. If I'm reading one of his books, I have to very conciously imagine his voice reading it. Otherwise, the humor sails by me completely. It's all in the delivery and timing, I guess.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 08:33 pm
@ossobuco,
Stand up comedians worth their salt are natural talents in telling stories (above and beyond those singular one-liner hacks).

Part of the story telling power is to tell it with passion. Passion can be telegraphed verbally as well as choreographically. Richard Pryor was a very animated stand up! Good call ossobuco!
djjd62

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 08:36 pm
@tsarstepan,
comedians - louis ck, lewis black, bill hicks

0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 08:41 pm
loved reading hunter s thompson, and got to see him live once

my radio god ron bennington is a pretty cool story teller
msolga

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 08:45 pm
@tsarstepan,
Interesting, I just picked up a copy of Me Talk Pretty One Day (David Sedaris) in a second hand bookshop. Now I'm wondering if he's best listened to, or read. Most likely a bit of both, yes?
Rockhead

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 08:47 pm
@djjd62,
you kinda hafta have some redneck in you, but Rodney Carrington can tell some gutbuster stories.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 08:48 pm
@msolga,
Matter of personal taste and preference, msolga. Personally, I prefer to read his material. He's quite clever and funny in a self-deprecating sort of way. It's probably a failing in me, not him, but I find his voice campy and slightly annoying.
msolga

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 08:49 pm
@djjd62,
Quote:
loved reading hunter s thompson, and got to see him live once

Me too. What a crazy person! Wonderful. Very Happy

Loved the Fear and Loathing ... books. (including Ralph Steadman's terrific drawings)

Tell me, what was he like in person? Anything like as in his books?
ossobuco

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 08:51 pm
@msolga,
I loved the Fear and Loathing books too..
tsarstepan

@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Interesting, I just picked up a copy of Me Talk Pretty One Day (David Sedaris) in a second hand bookshop. Now I'm wondering if he's best listened to, or read. Most likely a bit of both, yes?

I've read and obsessively listened to him. Iced tea vs hot tea. It all depends on my mood I guess.
msolga

@Merry Andrew,
Ah. I'll tell you what I think after I've had a chance to have a listen & a read listen myself, Andrew. At this stage he's a totally unknown quantity.
msolga

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 08:54 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:

I've read and obsessively listened to him. Iced tea vs hot tea. It all depends on my mood I guess.

Obsessively, tsar!
I trust your judgment, so it sounds like I'm in for a treat if you're such a fan! Smile
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 08:54 pm
@msolga,
I think I enjoyed reading his sister Amy too, but that's a faint recollection, probably only one story.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 08:56 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
I loved the Fear and Loathing books too..

Yeah, they were wonderful, osso.

I'll never forget the last page of Fear and Loathing on The Campaign Trail:

Five more years ...
Five more years..
Five more years ..

`
djjd62

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 09:00 pm
@msolga,
yes, it was in the mid 80's in toronto he was on a book tour (can't remember which one), he spoke did readings and then a Q&A, very entertaining, i wasn't actually able to go, and was supposed to meet friends afterwards, the theatre he was in was on the danforth a bit of a walk from the subway at yonge and bloor, but it was a nice night and i decided to walk as i had time before the show was to end

while crossing the bridge over the don valley, still about 20 minutes or so from my destination it started to pour rain (the sky had been cloudy,but not threatening), when i finally arrived at my destination i was soaked, and found out that thompson had been late and the talk was still in progress

the nice lady at the ticket window told me to go in an find my friends, i walked down one aisle and was going to duck down and cross at the stage, as i did thompson, who was walking around and talking, came to the foot of the stage, looked at me, looked around as if puzzled and said "you're all wet", i replied that it was raining outside, he said"best place for it" and reached down to shake my hand, best way to get noticed by your friends is to crash a lecture and get to meet the host

got to see the last of the talk and hear the Q&A