msolga

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 12:45 am
@tsarstepan,
She certainly sounds very unusual, unique even, tsar.
Intriguing. I must check out Sarah Vowell.

Quote:
Book overview

Sarah Vowell exposes the glorious conundrumsof American history and culture with wit, probity, and an irreverent sense of humor. With Assassination Vacation, she takes us on a road trip like no other -- a journey to the pit stops of American political murder and through the myriad ways they have been used for fun and profit, for political and cultural advantage.

From Buffalo to Alaska, Washington to the Dry Tortugas, Vowell visits locations immortalized and influenced by the spilling of politically important blood, reporting as she goes with her trademark blend of wisecracking humor, remarkable honesty, and thought-provoking criticism. We learn about the jinx that was Robert Todd Lincoln (present at the assassinations of Presidents Lincoln, Garfield, and McKinley) and witness the politicking that went into the making of the Lincoln Memorial. The resulting narrative is much more than an entertaining and informative travelogue -- it is the disturbing and fascinating story of how American death has been manipulated by popular culture, including literature, architecture, sculpture, and -- the author's favorite -- historical tourism. Though the themes of loss and violence are explored and we make detours to see how the Republican Party became the Republican Party, there are all kinds of lighter diversions along the way into the lives of the three presidents and their assassins, including mummies, show tunes, mean-spirited totem poles, and a nineteenth-century biblical sex cult.
msolga

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 01:07 am
@msolga,
Ah, found her!

0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 03:22 am
Quote:
Who are the best storytellers?

Those who can remember the ending.
roger

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 04:02 am
@Ionus,
Never heard a good shaggy dog story, huh?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 06:56 am
@tsarstepan,
thought she seemed familiar, i have her books on my audible wishlist, loved the descriptions, might have to move them up
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 07:29 am
Keillor and McLean suck--they use every low-rent, cutesy trick in the book to attempt to tug at the heart strings of middle-aged women in the audience, and, of course, for advertising purposes, that's all the sponsors care about.

I'm not sufficiently familiar with the others mentioned to have an opinion.
chai2

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 07:41 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Interesting, I just picked up a copy of Me Talk Pretty One Day (David Sedaris) in a second hand bookshop. Now I'm wondering if he's best listened to, or read. Most likely a bit of both, yes?

I saw him in person at a book signing, reading from MTPOD.

The combination of his appearance, voice and words are wonderful.

Easter big HAPPY day when baby jesus die!
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 07:46 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Keillor and McLean suck--they use every low-rent, cutesy trick in the book to attempt to tug at the heart strings of middle-aged women in the audience

well stick me in a frock and cal me harriet housefrau (at least where mclean is concerned)
farmerman

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 07:50 am
@Setanta,
You never heard of Jean SHepherd? Cmon, youre as old as I (I believe) so youd remember the 60's and 7-0' and his heyday of WOR talk radio spiehlfests about growing up in Gary.
AS far as Keillor, hes a good storyteller when he stays on topic as an incredulous observer of pop culture. I do not like his writing becuase he overuses ten dollar words and he thinks that we insert pauses automatically but we dont.
Setanta

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 07:55 am
@farmerman,
No, i don't remember Jean Shepherd. But i didn't listen to talk radio in those years. I'll look around online for a bio and see if it rings a bell or not.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 07:58 am
@djjd62,
How about if we just call ya Morley.
Tai Chi

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 08:13 am
@Setanta,
Christopher Morley?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 08:15 am
Ain't you cute.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 08:26 am
Anyone remember Carson McCullers? I read that book when I was a wee thing, and it has stuck in my head all these years.

Book overview
With the publication of her first novel, THE HEART IS A LONELY HUNTER, Carson McCullers, all of twenty-three, became a literary sensation. With its profound sense of moral isolation and its compassionate glimpses into its characters' inner lives, the novel is considered McCullers' finest work, an enduring masterpiece first published by Houghton Mifflin in 1940. At its center is the deaf-mute John Singer, who becomes the confidant for various types of misfits in a Georgia mill town during the 1930s. Each one yearns for escape from small town life. When Singer's mute companion goes insane, Singer moves into the Kelly house, where Mick Kelly, the book's heroine (and loosely based on McCullers), finds solace in her music. Wonderfully attuned to the spiritual isolation that underlies the human condition, and with a deft sense for racial tensions in the South, McCullers spins a haunting, unforgettable story that gives voice to the rejected, the forgotten, and the mistreated -- and, through Mick Kelly, gives voice to the quiet, intensely personal search for beauty.
Richard Wright praised Carson McCullers for her ability "to rise above the pressures of her environment and embrace white and black humanity in one sweep of apprehension and tenderness." She writes "with a sweep and certainty that are overwhelming," said the NEW YORK TIMES. McCullers became an overnight literary sensation, but her novel has endured, just as timely and powerful today as when it was first published. THE HEART IS A LONELY HUNTER is Carson McCullers at her most compassionate, endearing best.

The movie trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wgbxan-EXr4
ehBeth

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 08:46 am
@msolga,
Didn't Sarah Vowell do the voice for the teen girl in The Incredibles?

Sedaris? I can read him, but I can't listen to him. Too precious.

Actually I find a lot of the radio storytellers a bit too in love with their speech patterns. I can tolerate Keillor in very small sections - less than 5 minutes at a time. I usually enjoy Stuart McLean's programs - mostly because he has really good musical guests.

Give me Bill Cosby or George Carlin anyday.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 08:49 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Keillor and McLean suck--they use every low-rent, cutesy trick in the book to attempt to tug at the heart strings of middle-aged women in the audience, and, of course, for advertising purposes, that's all the sponsors care about.

this doesn't make a lot of sense - both are on public radio - with no advertising

~~~~

don't know about Keillor, but the CBC network McLean is broadcast on is not the one targeted to women - their classical station is the one targeted more to women and mmmmmature audiences
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 08:51 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
I usually enjoy Stuart McLean's programs - mostly because he has really good musical guests.

that may have a lot to do with it, i have read mcleans books (his essays from across canada, coming home is a great read), and listened to just the dave and morley stories, but it's the whole show i like best, location stories, local and national musicians, a good tale or two
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 09:53 am
@Setanta,
Setanta? You do realize that the so called sponsors on A Prairie Home Companion are as fictional as the residents of Lake Wobegon?! That A Prairie Home Companion is a bloody public radio program? Right? http://i45.tinypic.com/oss8qg.jpg
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 09:59 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Didn't Sarah Vowell do the voice for the teen girl in The Incredibles?

Sedaris? I can read him, but I can't listen to him. Too precious.

Actually I find a lot of the radio storytellers a bit too in love with their speech patterns. I can tolerate Keillor in very small sections - less than 5 minutes at a time. I usually enjoy Stuart McLean's programs - mostly because he has really good musical guests.

Give me Bill Cosby or George Carlin anyday.

Didn't Sarah Vowell do the voice for the teen girl in The Incredibles? Yep. That's her.

I love the musicians on both The Vinyl Cafe as well as A Prairie Home Companion.

Plus, A Prairie Home Companion is home to Guy Noir, Private Eye!
http://www.audiobooksonline.com/media/The_Adventures_of_Guy_Noir_Radio_Private_Eye_Garrison_Keillor_original_radio.jpg
ehBeth

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 10:11 am
@tsarstepan,
I don't share the musical taste of whoever programs Prairie Home Companion. I'm not a fan of their style of radio <ahem> drama either.

A little bit of Keillor as a storyteller goes a long way for me. I prefer his writing to having to listen to him.
0 Replies