farmerman

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 09:03 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Its funny but Im the same with both keillor and the old (long dead) Jean Shepherd. All of Shepherds stories needed to be heard , not read. Voice inflection and pauses are part of the paint box for thee guys and to read them you often miss that extra dimension.

One who is good to read is Bill Bryson. (and with him its just the opposite, his stories are best read because he has a nasty voice).

Sedaris can be ok if listened to in small chunks and often coupled with his sister who has a similar elfin voice. Sedaris evokes a "Woody Allen" personna of complete incompetence that hes spent a lifetime developing.
I have to put in a word for MArk Bowden who can tell a story and write one with an almost obsessive concentration. Hes not often funny but he can be like a car wreck, you gotta play it out. (He writes for Atlantic and Vnity Fair).

Verlyn Klinkenborg's country stories in the NYT are enjoyable, but motly Im jut projecting because I suffer some fo the same challenges in country life.

Who else? course Twain rises to the surface but once you read him, you remember all his lines and hes dead so hes not makin any more.

msolga

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 09:10 pm
@msolga,
Ah. Wrong.

I just got out my old tattered copy of Fear & Loathing on the Campaign Trail:

It was

FOUR MORE YEARS...
FOUR MORE YEARS ...
FOUR MORE YEARS ...
FOUR MORE YEARS...

In Ralph Steadman's handwriting, with Ralph Steadman's spluttered goobies all over it.

I thought a 5 year term seemed somewhat excessive, after I'd posted! Wink

And crikey, I'd forgotten all about George McGovern until now!

Wow. Time warp.

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 09:17 pm
@djjd62,
Quote:
the nice lady at the ticket window told me to go in an find my friends, i walked down one aisle and was going to duck down and cross at the stage, as i did thompson, who was walking around and talking, came to the foot of the stage, looked at me, looked around as if puzzled and said "you're all wet", i replied that it was raining outside, he said"best place for it" and reached down to shake my hand, best way to get noticed by your friends is to crash a lecture and get to meet the host...

Wow, djjd!

What an honour! What a moment! Smile

But did he.. um... come across in person as he did in his books?
ehBeth

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 09:19 pm
@djjd62,
Music Hall on the Danforth?

<cue spooky music>
msolga

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 09:19 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Sedaris can be ok if listened to in small chunks and often coupled with his sister who has a similar elfin voice.

Having grave doubts now. Wink

Seems like reading Sedaris might be the go!
georgeob1

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 09:24 pm
One could do much worse than Mark Twain, Brete Hart, Guy de Maupassant, Honore de Balzac and Maxim Gorky.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 09:26 pm
@msolga,
I'm keen for the nerdy elfin voice. That's why I also love to listen to the great essayist Sarah Vowell. Elfin and nasally indeed! Rolling Eyes
http://nymag.com/images/2/daily/intel/07/02/23_21questions_lgl.jpg
Plus she's cute and wicked smart! http://i48.tinypic.com/2m5yt1k.jpg
djjd62

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 09:29 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
But did he.. um... come across in person as he did in his books?

pretty much, i never got the impression it was an act
djjd62

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 09:29 pm
@ehBeth,
yup
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 09:35 pm
@djjd62,
Neither did I. I figured he was very genuine.

But sometimes people appear different to what you'd imagine.
farmerman

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 10:08 pm
@msolga,
Heres one of my favorite Sedaris essays. Its when he was hired to be one of Santas Elveshttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=161Fyi6fid0 His little nasal voice gets annoying after a while, maybe its just me, I dont know.
msolga

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 10:10 pm
@farmerman,
Well thank you, farmer. Very good of you.

I'll take a listen now.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 10:11 pm
@farmerman,
David Sedaris' nasally voice gives him a geekish authenticity. Would he sound any bit believable telling that story if he sounded like Jack Nicholson or Hugh Jackman?
farmerman

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 10:12 pm
@msolga,
Actually I have a sort of nasal voice but its deeper than his.
farmerman

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 10:18 pm
@tsarstepan,
SOmetimes though, when he tries to relate stories of "the land" or of areas outside of NY where he can no longer be adored as this little incompetent nasally speaking nebbish, it does create a crisis in public personna. (For me anyway, but Im not trying to convince you of my preferences).
Jean Shepherd, too, had a nasal voice but it sounded more like a Damon Runyon character. He was the guy that narrated "A Christmas STory" (about the kid who wanted a bee bee gun). Sedaris always appeared in my mind as the guy running away from a lobster that got out of the pot and was skittering across the kitchen floor. Jean SHepherd sounded like some guy whod pick up the lobster and pump 2 9mm slugs in it.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 10:28 pm
@farmerman,
Very funny, farmer.
Loved it! Very Happy
Who would have thought that being an elf could be such a complex thing, so personally confronting?
It's given me a whole new insight into such things. I had no idea.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 10:34 pm
@farmerman,
Right! I see. Smile
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 10:47 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
I'm keen for the nerdy elfin voice. That's why I also love to listen to the great essayist Sarah Vowell. Elfin and nasally indeed! Rolling Eyes

I see we have a bit of a dispute re nasal or not nasal Sedaris.

Me, I have absolutely no opinion on this matter. None at all. Wink

Who is Sarah Vowell, tsar? (apart from being cute & wicked smart?)

What does she write about?

http://nymag.com/images/2/daily/intel/07/02/23_21questions_lgl.jpg
Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 12:31 am
@farmerman,
Thanx for that, fm. It's one of my favoirite Sedaris pieces. I've heard it a few times now. Seems some NPR stations play it annually around Christmas time.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 12:39 am
@msolga,
She writes oddball and humorous personal essays on American history, historical events, and famous American figures.

One book of hers is Assassination Vacation: a series of essays on her trips around the US to sites where key historical figures have been assassinated.
http://tinyurl.com/yfpgexu
http://blog.mpl.org/mke_reads/assassination%2520vacation.jpg