0
   

email, pw verification and other doubts

 
 
brahmin
 
Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 04:19 pm
i am trying to make a website with the help fo a friend.

however we have run into some small niggles - could some of you please help??

1) when we ask the user to enter his email and then confirm it by entering it again and also when we ask the user to enter a pw and then confirm it - the message "the two entered emails/pw do not match" appear too soon. it gets shown just after the first email or pw is entered and the user begins to enter it again. How can we ensure that the message is shown only AFTER the second round of the email/pw is entered AND only if they do not match up??

2) do you know of any free or decently cheap asp.net servers that allow for email verification/confirmation email through automated emails??

3) our website will attract people from many countries. how can i get a list of countries in alphabetical order which we can add in a drop down box of countries. We would also like to keep usa first - cos thats where most of the clients will be from.

4) finally the bit about onilne payment. the business end of things - do you know any 3rd party agency we could use to handle our billing - if someone wants to buy our services using visa/mastercard/paypal/other standard card, how can we incorporate the feature in our website. We will of course also have money order payment using the normal snail mail.

Thank you very much. I know thats a lot of questions but then making a dot com website does throw up a lot of niggles. Thanks and happy valentines day.

  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,651 • Replies: 5
No top replies

 
Robert Gentel
 
  2  
Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 04:36 pm
@brahmin,
brahmin wrote:
1) when we ask the user to enter his email and then confirm it by entering it again and also when we ask the user to enter a pw and then confirm it - the message "the two entered emails/pw do not match" appear too soon. it gets shown just after the first email or pw is entered and the user begins to enter it again. How can we ensure that the message is shown only AFTER the second round of the email/pw is entered AND only if they do not match up??


Sounds like you are doing JavaScript checks client-side before the form is even submitted and is being triggered by action on the first form element. You can use several different events to trigger your validation, namely when a form field comes into focus, when its content changes and when the field loses focus.

For the best usability in what I imagine you are describing, I recommend you use an onblur event (when the field loses focus) on the second field to trigger your JavaScript validation. That way, they enter the first item, then they enter the second item and only when they move on to the next form field does the validation trigger.

This way they won't see an error message while they haven't even finished composing the form fields that the message says are in error.

Quote:
2) do you know of any free or decently cheap asp.net servers that allow for email verification/confirmation email through automated emails??


What exactly do you mean? You mean one that will let you send email?

Quote:
3) our website will attract people from many countries. how can i get a list of countries in alphabetical order which we can add in a drop down box of countries. We would also like to keep usa first - cos thats where most of the clients will be from.


Search for "list of countries". Do note that the list may change occasionally.

As to putting the USA at the top I would like to suggest a usability tweak to that: if you can, geolocate the user by IP address and put whatever country that IP is from at the top instead.

If you can't putting the most common countries for a site is usually done as you describe, by putting them at the top (and also repeating them in the alphabetical listing) but this way is so much more usable for all those who aren't in the selected common countries.

Quote:
4) finally the bit about onilne payment. the business end of things - do you know any 3rd party agency we could use to handle our billing - if someone wants to buy our services using visa/mastercard/paypal/other standard card, how can we incorporate the feature in our website. We will of course also have money order payment using the normal snail mail.


I know of plenty of them, but they all have upsides and downsides and what I would use depends on what I am trying to do. For example, if you don't mind sending your users to someone else's site for the payment you may not need your own credit card terminal and merchant account. So here is a roundup of some popular choices:

Paypal - They have cut and paste HTML for accepting regular paypal payments, but they also offer actual merchant terminal services where you can receive payments without sending your users to them.

Google Checkout - Like traditional paypal where you send users to their site.

Amazon Payments - They have many different options, including complex options for developers where you can have complex terms of billing (e.g. you can even make a site where the users pay Amazon based on how much of their other web services they use, real pay-as-you go type of stuff).

Authorize.net - This is just one example of a traditional credit card payment gateway (like you may use with a merchant account to process the credit cards online). They are one of the most popular but there are many others. This kind of service is usually what the serious business do, the ones that don't send you to other websites to collect payment.

Anyway, what system you use is an important decision and each comes with upsides and downsides and different costs. You should research the rules, features and fees of each to access which is best for your project.
0 Replies
 
brahmin
 
  1  
Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 06:28 pm
What exactly do you mean? You mean one that will let you send email?


i mean after someone enters his/her name and then email id - we need to check if its a valid mail id or if it indeed the person himself or an impostor - so we want to send him a email - which he/she has to open and click a link which will bring him/her to the nest page of the form that needs to be filled up. is there any free/cheap web hosting site that supports asp.net which will let us do that??


for the payment we need some thing down what monster has for companies. i mean if i am a company and i want to browse the resumes in monster, then i will have to "buy" a package - 1 month 300 bucks or something for a max of 200 contacts etc. or like the adult friend finder site - where people are shown a page where they enter card details and choose whether they want to be a gold/silver/platinum member and are billed accordingly. we do have a bank account in our names to which the money can be sent by card. question is which 3rd party service to use for this?


the error message - the whole coding is done in asp.net. i dont know if java is what we need to fix it.

drop down list - i found it thanks - still need one with usa on top tho.

thanks again for all your help,
brahmin
 
  1  
Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 06:33 pm
i have 2 other questions if you dont mind.

where can i find a addable "tool"/item for the date. you know those active icons which on being clicked show a calendar, from which a date can be selected (eg - date of credit card expiry etc)

is there an website what has some standard EULA templeates that i can safely flick from (without worrying about copyright and lawsuits) and then tweak as per the needs of our site?

Once more, thanks a million everyone.
Robert Gentel
 
  2  
Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 06:43 pm
@brahmin,
brahmin wrote:
i mean after someone enters his/her name and then email id - we need to check if its a valid mail id or if it indeed the person himself or an impostor - so we want to send him a email - which he/she has to open and click a link which will bring him/her to the nest page of the form that needs to be filled up. is there any free/cheap web hosting site that supports asp.net which will let us do that??


Any host that supports a scripting language and outgoing mail can support that, so yes any asp.net host that lets you send email supports the requirements to write the code to do that.

Quote:
question is which 3rd party service to use for this?


I would personally use Paypal for what you describe, but not the usual paypal service that everyone thinks of, they actually have an actual payment gateway service that works just like any credit card processing. Here is a link to that specific service:

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_payflow-gateway-overview-outside

And as I mention earlier, Authorize.net is one of the more popular options in this space. Search for "payment gateway" for that kind of credit card processing.

Quote:
the error message - the whole coding is done in asp.net. i dont know if java is what we need to fix it.


If it's happening before the page is submitted JavaScript, not Java, is involved.

Quote:
drop down list - i found it thanks - still need one with usa on top tho.


You only need the list for the data, you don't need to find it with the specific order you want. If you want the USA on top put USA on the top then.
0 Replies
 
Robert Gentel
 
  2  
Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 06:49 pm
@brahmin,
brahmin wrote:
where can i find a addable "tool"/item for the date. you know those active icons which on being clicked show a calendar, from which a date can be selected (eg - date of credit card expiry etc)


That pattern is called a "date picker" and if you search for that you can find many. They are usually part of what is called a "JavaScript library" that lets you do more things in addition to that. So for example, if you search for "date picker" on Google the first result is from jQuery, which is a popular Javascript library: http://jqueryui.com/demos/datepicker/

There are many other options from many other very good JavaScript libraries so don't hesitate to look around.

Quote:
is there an website what has some standard EULA templeates that i can safely flick from (without worrying about copyright and lawsuits) and then tweak as per the needs of our site?


Maybe, but honestly I think that an EULA is usually pretty specific to what exactly is being used and as such tends to not be done with cookie cutters as often, but that doesn't mean you can't look to other people's EULA's for inspiration. Rewriting it (don't expect to copy and paste your way to a good website) and using it as a guideline and inspiration is not a copyright infringement and if you are making legal terms of use for your website you should be involved in every clause anyway.
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

In How much time a website can be developed? - Question by aussiejumpingcastle
Webdevelopment and hosting - Question by harisit2005
Showing an Ico File - Discussion by Brandon9000
how to earn money in internet - Discussion by rizwanaraj
The version 10 bug. Worse then Y2K! - Discussion by Nick Ashley
CSS Border style colors - Question by meesa
There is no Wisdom in Crowds - Discussion by ebrown p
THANK YOU CRAVEN AND NICK!!! - Discussion by dagmaraka
I'm the developer - Discussion by Nick Ashley
 
  1. Forums
  2. » email, pw verification and other doubts
Copyright © 2019 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/16/2019 at 02:04:03