Britain to become a republic ????????

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 02:49 am
How about a return to an old fashioned, pre-Magna Carta monarchy? The King/Queen makes all the laws and slaughters those who disagree?

Seriously though, barely a day goes where I actually notice we have a royal family. Even the pictures on the money look nothing like her. I vote for Tony Blair to become the first President of the United Republics of Great Britain & Northern Ireland.

Oh, hang on, I thought he was already....?!?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 04:03 am
I get really tired of them calling Harry a prince. He's about as closely related to Charlie as I am!!!
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 04:46 am
Harry is Charles' son!

Or have I missed something?
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 04:49 am
Hey, if we get rid of the royals, think of the number of tabliods which will go bankrupt !!!
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 06:43 am
gautem --------- hip hip hooray, may rest in peace
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 06:44 am
may they rest in peace
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 07:05 am
McTag wrote:
We will have to have a proper revolution, and kill a few hundred of them, possibly by hunting with dogs...

Quote:
Camilla to retire from foxhunting
8 October 2003
Camilla Parker Bowles has been forced to give up her beloved foxhunting because of a bad back, say reports.
Mrs Parker Bowles, 56, who often accompanied the Prince of Wales and his sons at the Beaufort Hunt in Gloucestershire, has retired from the saddle on doctor's orders.

She also wanted to avoid controversy, a friend said. "Frankly, she was fed up with the aggravation. But William, Harry and the Prince will carry on as long as it is legally possible."
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 07:11 am
now what did mrs parker bowles did to get a bad back ? not mounting in the prescribed manner perhaps
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 09:20 am
"Mounting" might be in the equation, whether or not it was her actions which brought about the unfortunate condition. In Wilde's definition, then, of course, this would make Parker-Bolwes, the "Prince" and his (putative) sons members of the unspeakable--"The unspeakable in pursuit of the inedible."
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 09:27 am
and if --"The unspeakable in pursuit of the inedible." did partake of the inedible, then we might see a plethora of Technicolor yawns splashed on the front page of the tabloids
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 10:27 am
No dissent from this Brit - I'm neither republican nor royalist - I have respect for certain aspects of what the royals achieve but think it sets the tone for our class-ridden society...there are some things that "commoners" cannot achieve.

In-breeding we can achieve, but haven't honed it to the same level Laughing
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 10:31 am
"Come the revolution they'll be the first against the wall..."
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 03:07 pm
You mean because Harry has red hair, Wilso, like someone his mother knew well?
What a scurrillous, treasonable and perfectly plausible notion.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 04:40 pm
heeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheehee . . .

okbye
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 08:56 pm
Hasn't anyone else in Britain noticed the striking resemblance, McTag? (Going from photos) Or have they preferred not to talk about it?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 04:47 am
McTag wrote:
You mean because Harry has red hair, Wilso, like someone his mother knew well?
What a scurrillous, treasonable and perfectly plausible notion.

If anything ever happens to his brother, you can bet there'll be calls for a DNA test!!!
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 09:11 am
it's all very well creating a republic as long as the president et al don't become just a new form of royalty - the American president seems to be treated with so much bowing and scraping and the Kennedys ... aaaaaGH!

.... a bit like Animal Farm with all animals being equal but some are more equal than others.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 09:14 am
When i perfect my plans to become Benevolent Dictator of the Planet Earth, none of this will matter any longer. You would all be well advised to consider how you can get cushy berths in the new administration . . .
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 09:35 am
Whew! What a relief! Finally, we will have a ruler with a good grasp of history!

Um...I would like to apply for the position of Ambassador to Italy. How mu....I mean, what qualifications are needed? Here, Bailey! Have a nice turkey leg. Cleo, here's some treats for you, too...(smooches for puppies)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 09:39 am
< Pssst . . . good start--for the rest, cash, no checks . . . >

Of course, as you are eminmently qualified for Vice-Reine of Italy, the evidence being so apparent in your avatar, i'm sure something can be worked out.
0 Replies