A Decade With The Sims

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 04:30 am
Quote:
A Decade of The Sims
February 10, 2010

It's been 10 years since the digital denizens of The Sims first graced computer screens around the world.

And while many "hardcore gamers" are quick to dismiss The Sims despite its astonishing sales of over 125 million copies worldwide, this is an anniversary worth reflecting upon.

A decade ago it was unfathomable that the biggest selling computer game of all time could feature no violence, no plot, no score and could not ever be completed. The Sims was a game that revolutionised the interactive entertainment industry.

Like a virtual dollhouse, The Sims lets players intimately direct the lives of little computer people as they complete everyday activities like eating, working, furnishing the house and making friends. The games are popular with people of all ages, allowing players to pursue fantasies and experiment with different life choices.

For the rest of the article:
http://blogs.smh.com.au/digital-life/screenplay/2010/02/10/adecadeofthe.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,067 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Seed

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 04:35 am
@tsarstepan,
I don't know where they get "no violence" from. That game is chock full of it. Though to be far the violence comes from those who play, not those who made the game.

I never really dug on the game myself, but I have several friends that eat it up. They love it. Play every expansion that comes out.

(p.s. what are you doing up so early? don't you have work now?!)
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 04:42 am
@Seed,
Yep! Plenty of violence in the game. There are cat fights and vengeful gods (that being the player who traps his Sims in a doorless and windowless room)! Not to mention the subtle violence of the passive-aggressive nature between enemies and/or friends who having some kind of dispute with each other.

[As for the work, I start my shift at 8:00AM, so I'll be leaving my house at 7:00 to catch my way on the subway. Just stopped by to drop off a few replies. Smile ]
Seed

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 04:45 am
@tsarstepan,
Setting a house on fire. Leaving people in windowless and doorless rooms as said, and when they die you take their money. It can be a very dark game. Though I some what gives an idea of what life can be like. If you play the game correctly, though I fear little do.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 04:53 am
@Seed,
I used to kill an annoying character or two in my Sims career in order to create ghosts to live in a particular household. I'd never bump off a character I really liked... of course.
Seed

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 04:56 am
@tsarstepan,
haha of course not! that would be just sad not to have them around Wink
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2011 05:01 pm
This webcomic has a lovely Sims reference in it:
http://abstrusegoose.com/strips/i_hate_this.PNG
http://abstrusegoose.com/169
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 26 Sep, 2019 04:08 pm
@tsarstepan,
Sims 4 has been out since 2014 (a century in video game time). Thinking of playing this one lately.

Still going strong with 7 expansion packs and the latest one dropping this June 2019. Expansion packs running at $39.

Presently at 8 game packs and the latest one coming out this month. I believe they run for $20 a pack.

There are 15 Stuff packs. Not really sure what these are. Both Game and Stuff packs didn't exist in The Sims 3 (the last version of the game I played).

Really wish they didn't charge the full $39 for the basic game. Should have gotten it when it was on sale for $10 a month or so ago. Maybe I'll wait for the Collector's Edition to premiere in the US.

Anyone playing this one?
0 Replies