There is a word for that!

adspires516

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 07:36 pm
@djjd62,
one of my fave's too = ]
0 Replies

Quincy

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 07:01 am
Some of the words mentioned in this thread: apophenia, pareidoliacal, rupophobia, lachanphobia; can we really say these are English words? They're basically borrowed directly from other languages. When do we decide that such thoroughly foreign words are English words in fact?
I watched the American Spelling Bee finals for the first time recently, and almost all the words the kids were asked to spell were basically foreign words that were maybe perhaps used once or twice by some pretentious writers. Shouldn't we be encouraging kids to learn English words?
JTT

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 12:45 pm
@Quincy,
Quote:
Some of the words mentioned in this thread: apophenia, pareidoliacal, rupophobia, lachanphobia; can we really say these are English words? They're basically borrowed directly from other languages. When do we decide that such thoroughly foreign words are English words in fact?

Yup, we surely can. Quincy. English loves borrowed words, always has. I wonder what percentage of English "words" are actually borrowed. I suspect that it is very high.

Quote:
I watched the American Spelling Bee finals for the first time recently, and almost all the words the kids were asked to spell were basically foreign words that were maybe perhaps used once or twice by some pretentious writers. Shouldn't we be encouraging kids to learn English words?

There is and was a great deal of pretentiousness in this, of that there is no doubt. But just because one borrowed word is obscure doesn't mean that it doesn't have a place in English beside another, more frequently borrowed word.
oolongteasup

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2010 07:57 pm
@JTT,
To think it all began with just two grunts.
Rickoshay75

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2014 05:51 pm
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:

Often words fail me when I am trying to describe something unusual. I am happy when I find that someone has already coined a word that expresses the exact idea.

For example:
The fallacy of seeing a pattern or connection where none actually exists is called "apophenia".

love that blooms by being near to the opposite sex is -- Propinquity,
0 Replies

Rickoshay75

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2014 05:54 pm
@oolongteasup,
oolongteasup wrote:

pareidoliacal revelations often come to me in the shower while i'm contemplating no god

the mongrel always calls when i'm in the shower

Mongrel, is that your boss or wife?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2014 06:17 pm
@oolongteasup,
You only get one grunt. You're a girl.
InkRune

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2014 08:31 pm
@roger,
shots fired
roger

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2014 10:05 pm
@InkRune,
I guess I'm not following.
0 Replies

oolongteasup

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2014 10:14 pm
@roger,
I say:

Quote:
To think it all began with just two grunts.

You say:

Quote:
You only get one grunt. You're a girl.

I say:

I'm gruntled you think so, unless it's one per person and a 5 year gestation.
roger

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2014 11:10 pm
@oolongteasup,
One grunt means "yes". You only get one grunt.
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2021 03:51 pm
Found out todaythat a string of typographical symbols used in place of an obscenity is called a 'grawlix'.

Well, f#*$ me pink.
drillersmum85

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2021 02:00 pm
@lmur,
The forum is 'There is a word for that' and I surely hope I've come to the right place. I'm trying to remember what you call an abbreviated set of words, or maybe a phrase. For example... R.S.P.C.A. am now trying to think of other examples. Q.U.A.N.T.A.S. might fall into the same category, but have a niggling feelimg it doesn't... for some obscure reason.
Once upon a time I believe I knew the answer, but right now my mind is a blank. Thanks in advance.
roger

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2021 02:06 pm
@drillersmum85,
acronym - if the abbreviation can be used as a word.

My favorite is for our United Parcel Service. UPS can be pronounced as "Oops!"
drillersmum85

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2021 02:26 pm
@roger,
So R.S.P.C.A. isn't an acronym then? It isn't a word.
So what is the definition or word that describes things like R.S.P.C.A. ?
H.R.H. isn't a word. G.P.O. isn't a word. H.M.S. isn't a word. Is there a word that describes those examples?
izzythepush

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2021 02:28 pm
@drillersmum85,
Initials.
Region Philbis

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2021 02:30 pm
@roger,
Quote:
UPS can be pronounced as "Oops!"
worked with a guy who pronounced it "Ups" -- although he was referring to an uninterruptible power supply...
0 Replies

drillersmum85

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2021 02:34 pm
@izzythepush,
Good one. Never thought it was that easy... lol. What with anograms and acronym's I thought the answer would have to be more convoluted. Still having a laugh to myself. Feel a bit dumb too.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2021 02:44 pm
@drillersmum85,
Easily done.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2021 10:05 am
0 Replies