Americans Who Love Guns... and the Americans Who Love Them

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 02:05 pm
I was catching up on my "This American Life" podcasts and heard this one from a couple of weeks ago. While a couple of the stories are from a liberal side, the second amendment lovers out there will appreciate acts one and four.
Quote:
Act One. NRA vs NEA.

This American Life contributing editor Sarah Vowell goes home to Montana to try and understand her gunsmith dad a little better. (11 minutes)

Act Two. Fist and Gun.

Geoffry Canada, author of the book Fist Stick Knife Gun: A Personal History of Violence in America, talks about what it's like to carry a gun. He also talks about what poor neighborhoods in New York were like before the proliferation of handguns among young people. When he grew up in the South Bronx, kids had fistfights, in a very formal arrangement, with formal rules that everyone lived by. He reads from his book and talks with Ira. (10 minutes)

Act Three. Shooter.

Chicago Playwright Bryn Magnus with a quintessential gun story from his childhood in Wisconsin. It contains both the fear of guns and the pleasure of shooting one. (5 minutes)

Act Four. Potato Potahto.

Two people who've nearly died in gun battles describe what it's like, getting shot at. They draw opposite conclusions from their near death experiences. Mike Robbins, a Chicago police officer, becomes an advocate of handgun controls. Suzanna Hupp, a chiropractor, became an important advocate of changing Texas law to allow concealed handguns. (11 minutes)

Act Five. Straw Man.

Chicago writer Tori Marlan with a man who sold guns to criminals for two years, and what he makes of the experience. Most of the illegal guns on the street were actually purchased legally. Most of them were bought by people like our interviewee, who had a clean record, and sold the guns to local drug dealers for $50 to $200. (11 Minutes)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,251 • Replies: 5
No top replies

roger

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 03:14 pm
@engineer,
What's act 5 all about. What gun can be purchased at retail, for whatever price, and be resold at a profit for $50.00?
Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 03:22 pm
@roger,
I was wondering the same thing. Is that a typo? My experience with illegal firearms in a major urban center on the East Coast (Boston) is that if you can legally buy a handgun for, say, $100 in Vermont or New Hampshire where gun laws are more lax than Massachusetts, you can realize a 300 % profit on the streets of the Hub of the Universe without much effort.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 03:24 pm
@roger,
They meant $50 to $200 profit to the seller. The buyer would front the money plus profit margin. That particular segment interviewed a guy who did it for two years, estimating he sold sixty guns, before he was arrested and sent to jail for 13 months.
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 03:36 pm
Would you happen to know how I could download this as an mp3 file to put
on my mp3 player?
engineer

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 04:17 pm
@George,
I subscribe to the podcast and download them weekly, but only the latest episode is available for free. I think you can get them from I-tunes for $.99 which is a steal. The latest show "House on Loon Lake" is available for free until the weekend.
0 Replies