The Olympics - I was in Vancouver this weekend and it was so fun!!

Mame

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 07:27 pm
I voted against having the Olympics and have heard nothing but the $!B spent on security since I got here, but I gotta tell ya, last night, Robson and Granville were so fun!

According the the Vancouver Sun, it's best to get to a Whistler Event FOUR hours before entry, 3 hours if it's on the North Shore, and 2 hours in the City Limits... plus a 1 - 2 hour bus wait in the city.... and don't take a bag over 13 cm x 13 cm or it will be searched. Everyone will have to go through an airport screener.

Otherwise, the BUZZZZZZ is wild!! Crazy Art all over the place, the Zip Line (google it, if you want to know - it's free!!!), music everywhere, people, people, people, laser shows, fireworks, athletic teams (I've already spoken in italiano to some male team of something or other - ha), and the energy is kerazy. Fun, fun, fun.

I think I'll be there next weekend, too... screw my exam!

And the half-time by the Who started out a bit weak but finished just fine... for 65+ yr olds.... Go Indiana! Smile

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 1,385 • Replies: 6
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 08:33 pm
@Mame,
One of my pod-mates went to Vancouver for a mediation last week, extended his trip into the weekend - sounds like you showed him a good time Very Happy
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 09:14 pm
@Mame,
Will these Games go ahead? Last night on TV here it was claimed Vancouver is experiencing a warm spell and there is no snow? Furthermore it showed lots of heavy lorries carting in the snow from somewhere-else. A first hand report would be appriciated.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 09:20 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

I voted against having the Olympics ....

You got to have a vote on this? Since when? Confused Laughing

Gosh, I was really hoping for some well-placed sarcasm in regards to these Olympics from you. Wink
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 10:19 pm
HA! So it IS fun after all!!!
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 07:58 am
@Mame,
I understand the feeling.
In 1996, my first wife and I went to the summer games in Atlanta.
We spent 5 days and 4 nights there courtesy of McDonalds.
They had a monopoly type game and one of the prizes was a trip for 2 to the games and I won that.
We had a blast.

We had tickets to 2 events per person per day, but the most fun was hanging around with other people at centennial park.
The main event at the Olympics seems to be pin trading, with everyone trying to collect different Olympic pins.

Tha atmosphere at the games was like a big party, with everyone out to have fun.
I met members of the Iranian team and their supporters, shared a meal with people from Russia, China, and almost every other country on earth.

If you can afford it and dont have other plans, I would reccomend staying for a few days and just having fun.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 08:04 am
Dutchy - I won't be attending any events, but walking around the streets with the high buzz going on will be fun Smile

And I'm not buying a red hoodie or red mittens, either.

I have to take pics for my son.

EhBeth, that went right over my head!

Eva - Smile you got me, girl heh heh
0 Replies