Anything to make it safer for McTag

JTT

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 10:48 pm
Here's hoping that this will lessen McTag's hospital stays.

Quote:

British pub fights get safer with new design glasses

LONDON (AFP) - Drunken pub fights in Britain are set to get safer with the invention of a strengthened beer glass that health authorities hope will cut the huge bill for treating inebriated brawlers.

The traditional pint glass -- which holds just over half a litre of beer and is favoured by drinkers across Britain -- has been redesigned so it is harder to smash, said Design Bridge, the company behind two prototypes.

And even if the new models are smashed, the dangerous shards of glass are held together by a layer of resin, said the company when at a launch event Thursday.

British interior minister Alan Johnson praised the new models and said the properties of the current pint glass are to blame for much of the country's alcohol-related violence.

Glass attacks in Britain cost health authorities an estimated 2.7 billion pounds (three billion euros, 4.3 billion dollars) annually, and official figures put the number of attacks each year at around 87,000.

Talks are under way with pub chains about trying out the glasses and it is hoped a pilot scheme will be launched within a year.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/afp/100205/oddities/britain_health_consumer_social_offbeat
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,456 • Replies: 7
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 01:01 am
@JTT,
Uh, oh.

What McTag's hospital stays?
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 07:44 am
I had a friend who witnessed an incident in a crowded pub in Bristol, UK. Two men had a drunken disgreement and one of them smashed a glass and used part of it as a weapon as he lunged towards his opponent. Unfortunately the floor was wet with spilled beer and he slipped on this and the glass went into the face of a young woman standing nearby. Seeing this, both guys ran out of the pub. There was a lot of blood. She needed many stitches and nearly lost one eye. The police came but nobody wanted to help them find the man, some, I think, because they were the sort of people who would never help the police, and some who were maybe scared of being targeted by the glass wielder or his friends. My friend was worried that he had not said anything, and he was especially worried because, unlike most people in the pub, he actually knew the guy's name. He asked me what he should do. I told him to go straight to the police and tell them all he knew. I do not know if he did, but the guy was eventually arrested and, I am glad to say, got five years in prison. I think he should have got more. Seven maybe.
Joe Nation

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 07:50 am
@contrex,
Horrific story, contrex.

Here in the USA we do not use broken glasses.

Joe(we pull out our guns and start firing wildly)Nationā˜»
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 07:59 am
@JTT,
The CBC had a couple of pieces about this in the past week. Spendi, obviously, sprang to mind.

I imagine he's leading the campaign against the new glasses. Not for real men.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 08:09 am
http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/object2/431/34/n6404633590_6741.jpg
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 06:29 am

Brawling in pubs is not really my thing. But my wife will arm-wrestle with you any day of the week.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 06:32 am
@JTT,

Quote:
British interior minister Alan Johnson praised the new models and said the properties of the current pint glass are to blame for much of the country's alcohol-related violence.

I would have thought it is the contents of the current pint glass which are to blame for the violence.
0 Replies