Windows ME = peice of ****

rufio

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2003 03:43 pm
Is there anything I can do about thins? I occassionally want to USE my operating system for stuff.

"Kernal32 caused a general protection fault in module USER.EXE at 0003:0000816e."

Ctrl Alt Dlt failed to work here - I turned the computer off at the power switch.

After the "improper shutdown" procedure, I try to get word up.

"Winword caused an invalid page fault in module USER.EXE at 0007:00005744."

Followed by BSOD, claiming that "an error" (no nothing else was specified!) had occurred. At the bottom of it, it says "Error:0D:0177:000075AB"

I'm on linux right now, but I need to use windows for playing with fonts. That's ALL I use my windows OS for.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 911 • Replies: 10
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2003 05:00 pm
I constantly hear that Me is terrible. Yet, I use it and it performs so much like Windows 98 for me that I scarcely know there is a difference.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2003 05:09 pm
I had M.E & thought it was a load of bollox, so I gave it the big E & installed 98se. Much better
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2003 07:17 pm
Windows ME
Well, I sure spent a lot of time trying to get Windows ME unfrozen and finally having to reboot. . . Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2003 07:30 pm
oldandknew wrote:
I had M.E & thought it was a load of bollox, so I gave it the big E & installed 98se. Much better

Had to do the same thing with my brother's computer. All the machines I've been setting up at work have got 2000, and there's been no problems with that. But ME, yep, it sux.
0 Replies

MurrayS

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 11:26 am
Howdy:

Just wondering what you are running for an av program on your system as there are a PILE of virii out there that will give the symptoms you are having !!

Murray
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 12:14 pm
It sounds like Windows may have been corrupted in some way.
I can only suggest a re-install of either the applications you're using ir a re-install of Windows itself.

By the way, ME is utter crap. Get XP if you can or if you can stand it go back to '98.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 12:47 pm
XP is OK. Still not as good as Unix though. Remember, no matter what version of Windows you use, the computer underneath is nothing more than a souped up PC AT.

Technically, an Apple or a true RISC system is a much better piece of hardware.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 06:14 pm
Go down to your nearest computer store and buy Red Hat Linux. It costs around $40, and you will agree it is the best thing you ever did with your computer.

It is possible to have Linux and Windows on the same computer (I do this just so my kids can play video games).
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 06:44 pm
AV program? I am running Internet Explorer and Microsoft Word.

I am not reinstalling that peice of crap and rebooting my computer 10 times again.

Ebrown - can't you download Linux off of the internet for free? Heh. I have linux, on my other partition, which is probably why I can actually use programs occassionally. I just have some fonts, games, and MP3s that I haven't gotten my Linux programs configured for, so it helps to have something that can read them. It also helps to have flash and shockwave plugins occassionally.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 07:48 pm
Sure you can.

However RedHat and the others offer a lot by bundling the available software, making sure that everythings works well together, providing additional "convenience" software and providing support.

What they offer is worth the $40. You probably will spend $40 worth of time just chasing down those fonts...
0 Replies