BSoD computer problem

Seed

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 01:07 pm
I figured since I asked on question on a computer problem I should go ahead and ask another while I am at it.

I am running a windows xp desk top (again I am on my laptop as I write this)

I have two USB ports on the top of my case. There was something plugged into them when I first got the machine. My dog ran through the house and ripped the cords out and broke the ports. I have unplugged them from inside.

Now when ever I plug anything into any USB port or run a CD in the drive (even sometimes when opening iTunes) I will some times get a BSoD. I can't read the whole screen but it tells me

Quote:
IRQL_not_less_or_equal_

When I first started getting the screen I figured it was drivers so I updated everything but it didn't fix it. When I would plug in my external hard drive in the back ports it would get the BSoD. Then it suddenly stopped happening for about a month or two. (I have had the tower since June of 09.)

It started happening again so I google the above message and found a few things on the subject but of course none of it was really in the language I can understand.
http://pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=53947

But it did tell me to check out my event logs (which I at least knew where to find, even though I can not actually understand what it says)

And it says:
Quote:
Event ID: 1003
Error code 100000d1, parameter1 ooooo1a8, parameter 00000006, parameter3 00000001, parameter4 b7f24f6b

The tower was built for me by a friend (who I am no longer speaking to, and it is not an option to ask them) and I have a box full of stuff that came with the parts that were install.

Any help would be very helpful.

(by the way, I can not get on the internet with my desktop as it has no phone line hook up and I am on dial up)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 550 • Replies: 6
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 03:49 pm
@Seed,
Seed wrote:
Quote:
IRQL_not_less_or_equal_

This error is almost invariable driver related, but it can be a complete pain in the ass to figure out which driver it is.

My basic advice: upgrade all of your drivers to the latest version, and consider flashing your BIOS.
Seed

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 03:52 pm
@DrewDad,
What does flashing my BIOS consist of?

Also, I was talking to a friend and he said that it might be how I disconnected my USB ports. As I just disconnected them and didn't do it from device manager
DrewDad

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 09:19 pm
@Seed,
Sounds like you only disconnected some USB ports. USB usually connects to a bus, which means all of the USB ports are really connected to each other. (basically saying you don't need to remove USB drivers from your system when you disconnect the hardware)

Flashing the BIOS usually requires you to visit the motherboard's manufacturer's website, and going through the support procedure to find the right download. You then download the program to flash the BIOS.

If you've never flashed a BIOS though, you might want to have someone help you with it the first time. Incorrectly flashing the BIOS (turning off the computer at the wrong time, or installing the wrong version) can be catastrophic to your motherboard.
Seed

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 09:26 pm
@DrewDad,
Oh man.... Yea this isn't a job for me thats for sure. What if I want to use some of the USB drives though? As in the ones on the back of the tower? They are still good.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 09:30 pm
turn off your computer. unplug it from the wall socket. wait 20 mins, plug in and turn on.

now, i have no real idea if that will actually do anything for you but it can't hurt and does seem to fix a few little problems to do with USB ports.
Seed

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 09:34 pm
@dadpad,
Hahah that's easy enough. I'll try anything at this point.
0 Replies