What are a2k's fonts?

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 10:15 am
Just curious? What are the fonts used? Especially in the logo? Or the closest equivalent if it was modeled after a hand drawing?

View best answer, chosen by tsarstepan
AbbieMcKenley

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 12:57 pm
@tsarstepan,
The closest I could find to the 'able2know' logo was Century Gothic.
"Ask a Question" and "Start a Discussion" looks like 'Trebuchet MS'
As does Inbox and Log Out an' all that.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 01:00 pm
@tsarstepan,
how much do you want to wager that Robert does not know the answer to your question, and thinks that you are weird for asking? Laughing
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 01:05 pm
@AbbieMcKenley,
Good eye on the logo. A very close match! http://i45.tinypic.com/2wlyf45.jpg
Thanks Abbie for the help. Very Happy
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 01:06 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

how much do you want to wager that Robert does not know the answer to your question, and thinks that you are weird for asking? Laughing

I'm just refining my photoshopping games so they're that much more polished and sneaky looking (seemingly more authentic to the a2k eye). Wink
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 04:40 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Well you'd be wrong again and lose. I actually made the logo and doing so pretty much consisted of picking fonts and tweaking spacing etc. Oh, and I added a dot under the 2 (after searching hundreds of fonts to find one that could pass for a question mark). So in short, this logo's "design" is essentially font picking so of course I know what fonts are used and no the question is not weird at all, it's a common design question.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 04:43 pm
@Robert Gentel,
nice attention to details. My complements.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 04:51 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

hawkeye10 wrote:

Well you'd be wrong again and lose. I actually made the logo and doing so pretty much consisted of picking fonts and tweaking spacing etc. Oh, and I added a dot under the 2 (after searching hundreds of fonts to find one that could pass for a question mark). So in short, this logo's "design" is essentially font picking so of course I know what fonts are used and no the question is not weird at all, it's a common design question.

I knew it when I read the first post of yours I witnessed! This guy is one internet god amongst us menial plebeian browsers!!
Robert-->http://i47.tinypic.com/1zb9a40.jpg <--Robert!
0 Replies

Robert Gentel
  Selected Answer

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 05:08 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
Just curious? What are the fonts used?

Typography here is still pretty messy (one of these days when we do a design overhaul I'll put serious work into making it up to my standards), and it depends on user settings (e.g. you can change your post fonts from a serif font to a sans-serif font) but here are all the fonts in our CSS file:

"Trebuchet MS",Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif, Courier, monospace, Georgia, Times, serif, "Lucida Grande"

Quote:
Especially in the logo? Or the closest equivalent if it was modeled after a hand drawing?

Logo is slightly tweaked Futura Lt except the 2, which is "Poor Richard" with a dot added to it.
djjd62

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 05:11 pm
hey hawkeye, got a nice piece of humble pie here for ya
Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 06:53 pm
@djjd62,
Don't bother him, deej. He's busy trying to learn how to spell 'compliment' and to learn the difference between 'compliment' and 'complement.'
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 06:56 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Thank you RG! Smile
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 10:02 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
nice attention to details. My complements.

Dude if you know anything about me you know how obsessed with able2know detail I am. This is what I would do if I were independently wealthy and there has never been a font on here that I didn't pick myself (which is probably why I'll have to get better at typography before it's beautiful here).
ossobuco

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 10:41 pm
@Robert Gentel,
A lot of us are interested in typography. The fonts so far on here are practical and, to me, well chosen.

Here's an old thread on the matter.. just a start on the subject:
http://able2know.org/topic/97021-1

Well, RG knows I'd like to see top and end on the scroll a little more distinctly, and I get why not, which he explained. 's ok.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 10:55 pm
@ossobuco,
Yeah, but I'd love to take it to the next level beyond just picking nice fonts and to actual art in the typography. I'm just not there yet myself and I don't see much discussion on that level here (I usually go to very geeky design spots for that).

I think sites like www.alistapart.com and www.nytimes.com display beautiful, not just sensible, typography. Next time we overhaul the design I hope to be able to achieve something like that. What we have is serviceable, but when done right the typography alone is worth looking at (if you are a design geek). Thing is, I'm not a real designer so we'll make do till I get better or we get a world-class designer. But one can dream, and typographical perfection on a2k is one of my recurring ones.

Here's an example of some simple typography that together with grid design makes this look beautiful with nothing other than well done grid layout and good typography.

http://www.blueprintcss.org/tests/parts/sample.html
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 11:02 pm
@Robert Gentel,
My biggest aesthetic problem with a2k is the overabundance of baby blue not the choice of fonts. Razz
Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 11:07 pm
@tsarstepan,
You mean like the bars above the new topics list or the page background? One of the challenges of getting colors right on the web is that different monitors display them dramatically differently.

I remember when I got my first laptop, and felt depressed at seeing a2k's vibrant (very bright back then) colors look so dull. So sometimes I'll pick a nice subdued eggshell color on my monitor and it will be some gaudy dark grey on someone else's. So it's conceivable that this subdued background I see on the page is your baby blue. But if you mean the color we use on some bars and headers yeah, that looks baby blue to me too and I bet it looks more so on some monitors.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 11:11 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Yep. The bars and headers. I'm sorry I'm so picky about these things. Razz
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 11:12 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Not having looked up your link yet, I'll just say yes, I'm for the goal.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 11:18 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Ok, I looked at that and loved it (oh, never mind the dog, the type... and the juxtaposition/layout). But.. how many other people will? Most would say clash. I'm all for the play toward beautiful.