Police: Remains buried under driveway are lottery winner

djjd62

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 04:49 pm
Police: Remains buried under driveway are lottery winner
By Mallory Simon, CNN
January 29, 2010 3:40 p.m. ES

(CNN) -- Police have identified human remains found buried under recently added concrete at a home in Plant City, Florida, as missing lottery millionaire Abraham Shakespeare, police said Friday.

The Hillsborough County Sheriff's Department said that a cause of death hadn't been determined and that it would probably be Monday before it could say how he was killed.

Deputies made the discovery of remains Thursday after a tip came in, suggesting that investigators would find a body near a home in Plant City, according to CNN affiliate WFTV.

However, Hillsborough County Sheriff David Gee said the investigation and information specifically led authorities to the area after they began to believe that he might be dead because of "sinister means and motives."
"Our indications were it would be there," Gee said Thursday night.
Police scanned the newly finished concrete slabs near the home on Wednesday and removed them. On Thursday, Gee said that they discovered the remains buried 5 feet below the surface and that it appeared they had been there for a while.

Shakespeare, a 43-year-old truck driver, won a $31 million Florida lottery prize in 2006. A year later, he won a court challenge from a fellow trucker who accused Shakespeare of snatching the winning ticket out of his wallet while the two were delivering meat to Miami restaurants.

Shakespeare's family reported him missing November 9, telling the Polk County sheriff's office that they hadn't seen him since April.
Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd said that when his investigation began, authorities had hoped to find Shakespeare alive "and he truly had just wanted to hide from those who were asking him for money."
"As our investigation continued, the information we developed led us to believe he may very well have ended up with an untimely death," Judd said.
Both Judd and Gee would not comment on whether anything else was found inside the man-made grave or whether a previous person of interest was connected to the area. The home, according to WFTV, belongs to the boyfriend of a person of interest in the disappearance of Shakespeare.

Police said they were now shifting their focus to a murder investigation.
"It's painfully obvious he didn't get there by himself," Judd said.
Gee said police from Polk and Hillsborough counties were already working with prosecutors on the case and hope to bring to justice the person responsible for what they say is clearly cold-blooded murder.
"Somebody put that body in that hole," Gee said. "This isn't by any means just where we find someone on the side of the road. Somebody has obviously put him there."

Quote:
"It's painfully obvious he didn't get there by himself," Judd said.

quite the understatement
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 2,527 • Replies: 8
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 04:51 pm
@djjd62,
Be prepared to see this story copy and pasted onto either Law and Order or Law and Order: Criminal Intent. I know I'd watch it on either show! Smile
farmerman

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 04:55 pm
@tsarstepan,
Whoever had the contractor put down the driveway topping is the murderer. Its so obvious. The events occured in sequence and are therefore related (At least itll give the cops a place to investigate closely)
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 04:59 pm
@farmerman,
It sounds like an act of organized crime. They tend to have the industry/construction company fronts to cover up their money laundering so why not use the actual construction company machinery to cover up the theft of a winning lottery ticket. Another great source for money laundering.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 05:00 pm
I know that the pros have been saying for awhile that winning the lottery often does not improve ones life, but this is ridiculous.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 05:07 pm
about 7 or 8 years ago a guy in a small community about 2 hours from me won a good amount in a lottery, he was also waiting to go to trial for possession of marijuana (growing), in an interesting twist of fate, he avoided a jail sentence, because his lawyer argued that his publicized win would put him or his family in danger if he went to jail, he ended up with an ankle monitor
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 05:13 pm
@tsarstepan,
Im still going with the gf and her bf as the primo suspects. I wonder how the dead guy had cashed in the ticket, annuity or cash payout?

I hope they didnt screw up the forensics of the burial site. For the way that the burial hole is covered with the drainage and wear coat says a lot about whether anyone expected a body to be buried there or not.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 05:14 pm
I think I have an idea on the motive.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 07:14 pm
@djjd62,
Wow, I'm so glad I'm not a lottery winner! Shocked Surprised Laughing
0 Replies