Breaking News: Shootout at LAX

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2013 07:57 pm
Quote:

By Scott Gold, Joel Rubin and Kate Mather
November 1, 2013, 6:41 p.m.
A composed, solitary gunman shot his way into Los Angeles International Airport on Friday morning, killing a transit security screener and injuring at least one more before being wounded by police and taken into custody. The incident was over in less than 10 minutes but caused chaos at the world's sixth-busiest airport and disrupted thousands of flights across the nation.

The suspected gunman was identified as Paul Anthony Ciancia, 23, a New Jersey native who lives in Los Angeles.

Authorities declined to discuss the gunman's motivation publicly. But a law enforcement official told The Times that a note was found on the gunman expressing "disappointment in the government" and noting that he had no interest in hurting "innocent people." Ciancia also sent a sibling a text message last week suggesting that he was prepared to die, officials said.

http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-lax-shooting-20131102,0,4944916.story

http://www.trbimg.com/img-52745849/turbine/la-1563154-me-1101-lax-shooting-10-als-jpg-20131101/600

Passengers wait at Terminal A. Some 117 flights were cancelled as a result of the shooting.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 2,405 • Replies: 9
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2013 08:07 pm
I don't know what to do about all this. I happen to like that place, but never mind.

Even if basic guns were miraculously outlawed, there will always still be these actors.

Which only ramps up fear and gun battles.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2013 09:30 pm
I've been following the story. Not much to say about it.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2013 09:43 pm
@edgarblythe,
Me too.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 2 Nov, 2013 12:34 am
@ossobuco,
They (airports) seem to be a magnet for the mentally unwell, probably for the news value, just my take and maybe not applicable this time.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 2 Nov, 2013 03:15 pm
@ossobuco,
Yeah, for a while it was post offices, leading to the expression 'going postal.' Airports now seem to be the new venue.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 2 Nov, 2013 03:32 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Some of my happiest times were myself going away or coming home from there (which wasn't often, it's a fairly recent terminal re LAX history), or my meeting my cousins coming home there, and so on.
Some of my unhappiest times were not being able to find my car in the parking garage.

Anyway, this hits home that this yo yo could do this, at the same time I agree with the former head of the tsa stuff/staff said he didn't think it wouldn't be that useful to arm all the tsa people.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Sat 2 Nov, 2013 03:35 pm
@ossobuco,
I wonder what his thoughts are now? He was prepared to die, didn't want to hurt "innocent" people? So law aren't people?

What ever the motivation is, his mind is not normal and he needs help.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 2 Nov, 2013 04:35 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
I won't argue with you on all that.

The problem is, there are more of these people running around highly armed. What we do about it - there are other threads for that.

I knew LAX as a young airport maybe two miles from my own later neighborhood.
I know of endless contretrempts on all that. I had a classmate whose lover lived nearby and placed rugs on all his walls.

Anyway, I remain interested in stuff about it. For example, my husband's father, who stopped school after fourth grade but was an avid history reader, was for many years, many years, an airline mechanic. Plus on my side of the family, Charlie, with Douglas; I've talked about him before.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2013 02:33 pm
Here's the latest on the shooting from CNN.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Breaking News: Shootout at LAX
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 04:39:11