The Rise of Dog Identity Politics

Setanta

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2010 11:18 am
If one can identify the breeds which were mixed to produce a dog--such as chihuahua and poodle (i know someone who has such a mix), then i don't believe that what you have really is a mutt. Blending two "pedigree" breeds also does not necessarily immunize against inherited diseases common to a specific breed. When i think of "mutt," i think of several breeds in one small package. It's appalling to think that people would actually ask what kind of mutt.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2010 11:19 am
@Setanta,
you're the guy who walks matching dogs - you should know from pure-bred Laughing
Setanta

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2010 11:22 am
I went looking for a definition of mutt, and got some surprising results. Most of them, as related to dogs, defined a mutt as a mongrel. Definitions of mongrel in reference to dogs were a mix of several breeds, or an indiscriminate mix. I was also amused to see that the word mutt apparently originally arose as a pejorative, a shortening of "mutton head." Any one familiar with sheep knows that they are not particularly bright, which seems to account for the rise of the pejorative.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2010 11:24 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
you're the guy who walks matching dogs - you should know from pure-bred Laughing

Yeah, that was hilarious. The dogs happen to resemble one another, which is simply coincidence. (If one looks closely, i think one would recognize that the dogs are significantly different in build.)

I was walking the dogs at the beach one day, and as i passed a bench on which two women were sitting, one turned to the other and said in a low voice (but not low enough that i didn't hear her): "He just got that other dog to match the first one." I didn't know which she assumed was "the first one"--not that it mattered.
0 Replies