The Reader

lovejoy

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2010 02:44 am
At the end of this film why did Michael take his daughter to see the grave of Hanna?

Why did Hanna think there was less shame in being labelled a nazi war criminal rather than simply admitting she could not read and therefore could not have written the damning document?

Why would Michael knowing the truth not come forward at some stage over a twenty year period?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 592 • Replies: 3
No top replies

lovejoy

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 12:05 pm
Am I the only one here that has seen this Confused
0 Replies

saab

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 12:43 pm
I have not seen the film, only read the book.
Hanna has a secret she refuses to reveal at any cost " she is illiterate. At that time as the story takes place it was something you would be really afraid of telling and also ashamed of telling.
Why did he not come forward? A good question. Probably because a young laywer who has had connection to a nazi is not a good start in your career also he is very confused about his feelings towards Hanna. Also I could imagen that there was some question about shame for him as a young men having had an affair with an woman 15 years older.

The story begins with Hanna, continues with the trial, then MichaelĀ“s visit to the Jewish woman in New York and to round up the story a beginning and an end he visits her grave for the first and only time. I cannot recall he took his daughter there in the book.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 01:40 pm
@lovejoy,
I saw the film a year ago.

1. Don't recall really. symbolism of past and future. Trying to get his daughter to understand his past. Trying to connect with his daughter

2. People will often find something personally shameful that others won't think is.

3. See 2.
but.. as a young man having to admit you had an affair with a Nazi war criminal when you were 14 might be hard to do
as he got older and a lawyer, it would be hard to explain why he didn't come forward earlier
0 Replies