Brussels sprouts thread

FBM

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2014 07:14 pm
:drool: I would drive across the country for a bit ol' helping of Brussels sprouts.

OK, this is a pretty small country, but still, we're talking about Korean traffic here. I'd do it.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2014 07:14 pm
@Banana Breath,
I think people stop way too soon when they're roasting brussels sprouts. It's as if they think that once they're hot that they're done cooking. No.

They caramelize and get sweet if you leave them alone in the oven long enough. Deelish!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/roasted-brussels-sprouts-recipe.html

40 minutes per Ina Garten. Depends on your oven of course, but a little overdone and sweeter is better than hard and bitter.

http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/1-wicked-witch-of-the-west-lou-ortiz.jpg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2014 07:15 pm
@Banana Breath,
I wonder how grilling would work. I don't think I'd have the patience for skewering the little buggers.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2014 07:37 pm
@Banana Breath,
I don't grill or broil, has to do with me now, plus I just am happy with slow roasting, which can change everything you ever thought of various vegetables. Oh, and sauteing, I like that too.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2014 07:57 pm
@FBM,
You are in Korea?
-----

I just re-read this old thread and I still like my version the best, even though
I've tried many different ways in the meantime.
FBM

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2014 08:50 pm
@CalamityJane,
Yeah. South. The good one. Wink
CalamityJane

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2014 09:13 pm
@FBM,
Obviously Smile otherwise you wouldn't have internet.

Yeah, Korean food can get old when you're there longer than 2 weeks...
Banana Breath

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2014 09:26 pm
@CalamityJane,
Quote:
Korean food can get old when you're there longer than 2 weeks...

Do you really think so? I am desperately eager to go on a food tour of Korea. I've done trips like that through China, Japan, Inner Mongolia, Peru.... And yes, there were days where I got Indian food in Japan or hamburgers in Peru for a break... but I think I'd barely be scratching the culinary surface of Korea in a couple weeks.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2014 09:31 pm
@Banana Breath,
FBM is a guy I and a lot of us listen to in general.
Also, he's funny.

I've only known one Korean, a lab tech. Somewhat bitchy. I stood up for her as a citizen here (takes one to know one, re bitchy).
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2014 09:35 pm
@Banana Breath,
Well, it depends what you desire. I was there for 5 days and another 10 day in Malaysia, Singapore and Hong Kong. Then back to Seoul and by then I was probably dreaming about non-Asian food. Luckily we found an Indian restaurant in Seoul and it happened to be one of the best Indian foods I've ever had.
FBM

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2014 09:59 pm
@CalamityJane,
Heh heh. Yeah, not much internet action going on up North there these days.

After two weeks back home, I want to come back to Korea specifically because of the food. Otherwise, I'm in the Korean grocery score wiping out their stock. There are a few things that I strongly miss about American/Western food, and Brussels sprouts is one of them, but overall I'd hate to be in a place where I couldn't get 감자탕, 순대, 물냉면, 김치, 해물탕, 민물 매운탕 and the dozens and dozens of side dishes that I don't even know the name of.

Now I'm hungry, but I'm having surgery in a few minutes and can't eat. Sad
CalamityJane

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2014 10:09 pm
@FBM,
OMG....you're typing on the operating table?
Good luck with your surgery and get well soon!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2014 10:14 pm
@FBM,
Surgery?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2014 10:27 pm
Surgery? No food?
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2014 11:36 pm
Well, I was scheduled for 12, but now it's 2:30 and I'm still in my room. Nothing big, by the way. Straightening out a broken nasal septum that's blocking my breathing at night, and there's a polyp or something, probably benign, that they want to take a biopsy of, possibly remove. Anyhoo, just wish they'd drop the other shoe, already. http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w561/hapkido1996/37_zps3ae50676.gif
ossobuco

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2014 11:40 pm
@FBM,
Ok, we're waiting.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2014 11:42 pm
The thing about Brussels Sprouts is that they have been on everyone menu for years because they are low food cost and because they have no availability problems. They can go away for a long while now, I want to see something else.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2014 11:58 pm
@hawkeye10,
I like them, done well, perhaps not in restaurants.

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2014 12:57 am
@ossobuco,
I think it is time for lima beans to make a comeback....they got disappeared from menus.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2014 01:14 am
@hawkeye10,
I had a friend who liked fresh limas, as from the pod in the garden.
0 Replies