Is it just me or is my PSAT score really terrible?

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 04:26 pm
So, I am an A honor student at my school and on my PSAT I scored a 163. I am a terrible test taker, but I am still shocked at my score. Are colleges not going to want me because of my low scores although I am overall, I believe, quite smart?

Green Witch

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 04:30 pm
I had to look up what would be considered a good score and apparently the average is 147, so you are above average. I found the explanation somewhat confusing so here is what I was looking at:

http://www.collegeconfidential.com/dean/archives/000211.htm
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 04:38 pm
@pickles123,
I wouldn't worry about the PSAT. It's only a practice exam for the actual SAT's. Even if you trip up on the actual SAT's, many colleges these days look at more then SAT and ACT scores.

They also look at your GPA and the types of courses you take. Are they academically challenging? Or are you taking easy classes so you can appear to be excelling all of your courses?

Try and work on your college admin essay on the basis of an earnest and original work of writing.

Colleges also look at levels of volunteering and after school activities (above and beyond sporting events) as well.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 04:40 pm
@tsarstepan,
PSAT = The Preliminary SAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test (PSAT/NMSQT) is a program cosponsored by the College Board and National Merit Scholarship Corporation (NMSC). It's a standardized test that provides firsthand practice for the SAT®.
0 Replies

pickles123

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 04:43 pm
@tsarstepan,
The courses that I am taking are the most challenging courses that my school offers. I am also taking PSEO courses (College courses) in math.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 04:46 pm
@pickles123,
Then I wouldn't really worry about the PSAT's. At least you have a heads up on the content of the SAT's and you have an idea where to emphasize your prep studies before tackling the SAT's.
pickles123

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 04:59 pm
@tsarstepan,
Yea. Well, I'm very paranoid. I stink under pressure and I am extremely nervous and sure that I'll suck on my SAT also. Maybe I just need to stop thinking.
JPB

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 06:07 pm
Except that the PSAT taken in the fall of the Jr year is used to qualify for National Merit Scholarships. I don't know what the cutoff will be for this year but it generally runs just above 200.
0 Replies

oolongteasup

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 09:03 pm
@pickles123,
do the practice tests ( and study ) until you smell like roses under pressure because you know you know, you know

and try some autohypnosis before exams like filling your mind with the certain knowledge that you have the certain knowledge, focus your adrenalin for action instead of fear

bbl after i've found a psat to cream
0 Replies

gneolog

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2011 03:14 pm
@pickles123,
Take the test as many times as you can to get really comfortable with it. Take a SAT prep course if you can. Keep you GPA high, Volunteer, Be a leader. It all goes together
0 Replies