What are some good tips for taking tests?

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 07:49 am
We are takeing four TAKs tests this year and my friends and I need help with test taking.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,635 • Replies: 5
No top replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 08:44 am
Begin by getting a full night's sleep the night before and by eating a breakfast that includes both protein and carbohydrates. That is not just grandmotherly advice: it is advice that strikes at the heart of why some test-takers do poorly. You can not succeed . . . in fact, you might find yourself unable to read the test directives and problems correctly . . . if you are tired or hungry. The reason for eating both carbs and protein are that the carbs will give you an initial boost while the protein will provide staying power.

Second, read each instruction carefully.

Third, while I am unfamiliar with the TAK test, I suggest that if there is an essay component, that you take notes and outline what you will write. Make certain that you can SUPPORT everything you write as this is the most important part of the test. As one of my high school teachers said, "Write anything. Fear of the blank paper can make your mind freeze."

Fourth, I also suggest that you go through the test and answer every question that you can answer easily, then return to the more difficult questions. If you linger too long over difficult sections of the test, you may lower your score.
eoe

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 10:14 am
@plainoldme,
very good advice
plainoldme

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 11:08 am
@eoe,
Thanks!
0 Replies

oolongteasup

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 12:12 am
@Cassidyt2,
http://math-and-reading-help-for-kids.org/tak_test_for_5th_grade.html
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 05:49 am
Don't fight with the given portion of the question. If the question states that the sky is green don't get stuck on why that doesn't make sense. Accept that in this case the sky is green and move on to what the question is asking.
0 Replies