Accept it: Terrorists Will Strike Again.

JTT

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2010 02:20 pm
@Ticomaya,
Quote:
They believe the US is a terrorist state.

That's because it is, Tico. It's so incredibly apparent.

Quote:
The FBI defines terrorism as:

The unlawful use of force or violence against persons or property to intimidate or coerce a Government, the civilian population, or any segment thereof, in furtherance of political or social objectives.

The US government has, since forever, engaged in that specific behavior described by the FBI definition of terrorism. Not only do they do, they openly admit doing it. Just pick any country that the USA has been involved with.

What part of the FBI definition don't you understand?

How many was it, whatever number of CIA agents convicted in Italy; but they almost certainly were rogue CIA agents, acting completely outside any government control, right?

And Nicaragua, El Salvador, Chile, The Philippines, Vietnam, ... .

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2010 02:26 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
Tico, I don't claim that the US is a 'terrorist nation' at all, for two reasons:

1, We stand to gain nothing from sowing terror - it's a tactic that one uses when one doesn't have actual military might; and,
2, if we decided to engage in terrorism, there would be a lot more dead civilians.

The truth is that we are a careless nation, when it comes to the lives of innocents (who are in the way of our dubious strategic goals). Intentions differ, but the end result is similar.

"careless nation" that just doesn't wash, Cy. Nicaragua stands as one shining example of the USA as a terrorist state. There's no middle ground here.

What's the next designation; mostly careful, but occasionally prone to [fill in the size adverb] mistakes.

It's absolutely clear, undeniable, the USA has engaged in terrorist actions against numerous nations and the people of those nations.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 02:16 am
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:
Law enforcement types tend to be trained to shoot at center mass in order to kill, not stop.
Law enforcement is trained to shoot at center mass to STOP, not kill. The center mass is the biggest target and that is why they are trained to shoot there. Don't want people getting the wrong idea.
Ticomaya

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 02:25 am
@TTH,
TTH wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
Law enforcement types tend to be trained to shoot at center mass in order to kill, not stop.
Law enforcement is trained to shoot at center mass to STOP, not kill. The center mass is the biggest target and that is why they are trained to shoot there. Don't want people getting the wrong idea.

Trained to shoot at center mass to stop and neutralize the threat (yes, kill) ... not wound, is what I meant to type.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 06:47 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Quote:
So, just to be really clear, verify to me that you are saying that a country which tries to spare non-combatants in combat zones, but occasionally kills them either because combat cannot be that precise or because one of their people goes nuts, is morally equivalent to a country or group that tries to kill a lot of civilians as its standard method of attack.

Ever hear the phrase 'the road to hell is paved with good intentions?'

Intent doesn't matter as much as actions. If you are continually killing civilians - which we have been, while prosecuting the so-called 'war on terror' in Iraq and the ME - then you are engaging in actions which are wrong. Period. This isn't some gray area, Brandon.

You are using the narrowest lens possible in order to avoid responsibility for the killings that WE have done, the murders that the US has engaged in, in the name of achieving our goals.

Tico, I don't claim that the US is a 'terrorist nation' at all, for two reasons:

1, We stand to gain nothing from sowing terror - it's a tactic that one uses when one doesn't have actual military might; and,
2, if we decided to engage in terrorism, there would be a lot more dead civilians.

The truth is that we are a careless nation, when it comes to the lives of innocents (who are in the way of our dubious strategic goals). Intentions differ, but the end result is similar.

Cycloptichorn

In addition to this statement, I'd be grateful if you'd answer the question asked.
Diest TKO

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 07:02 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

So, just to be really clear, verify to me that you are saying that a country which tries to spare non-combatants in combat zones, but occasionally kills them either because combat cannot be that precise or because one of their people goes nuts, is morally equivalent to a country or group that tries to kill a lot of civilians as its standard method of attack.

How about...
Brandon9000 (unabridged) wrote:

So, just to be really clear (but mostly wordy), verify to me that you are saying that a country which tries (but fails terribly) to spare non-combatants in combat zones (which can mean anything in a country we are war with), but occasionally (okay, so maybe frequently) kills them either because combat cannot be that precise (but we pull the trigger anyways) or because one (okay, maybe more than one...) of their people goes nuts, is morally equivalent to a country (we're fighting AGAINST Iraq and Afghanistan right?) or group (that is in no way isolated in any one country) that tries to kill a lot of civilians (but despite their efforts still can't manage to keep up with our our numbers) as its standard method of attack.

The moral equivalency may not be the same, but the responsibility and accountability is. Simply put, if you gamble prepare to lose. Taking chances and being careless to kill a single target but killing several innocent non-combatants is NOT acceptable.

T
K
O
Brandon9000

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 10:29 am
@Diest TKO,
Diest TKO wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

How about...
Brandon9000 (unabridged) wrote:

So, just to be really clear (but mostly wordy), verify to me that you are saying that a country which tries (but fails terribly) to spare non-combatants in combat zones (which can mean anything in a country we are war with), but occasionally (okay, so maybe frequently) kills them either because combat cannot be that precise (but we pull the trigger anyways) or because one (okay, maybe more than one...) of their people goes nuts, is morally equivalent to a country (we're fighting AGAINST Iraq and Afghanistan right?) or group (that is in no way isolated in any one country) that tries to kill a lot of civilians (but despite their efforts still can't manage to keep up with our our numbers) as its standard method of attack.

The moral equivalency may not be the same, but the responsibility and accountability is. Simply put, if you gamble prepare to lose. Taking chances and being careless to kill a single target but killing several innocent non-combatants is NOT acceptable.

T
K
O

In every modern war, non-combatants have been killed accidentally. I presume, though, that you're not saying that all wars past, present, and future are morally unacceptable. To say that a country which tries hard to spare civilians in the area is morally equivalent to people who aim at civilians as the primary, intended target is simply ridiculous. We should take greater and greater pains to spare non-combatants, but there is no prospect whatever of eliminating totally the deaths of non-combatants in war.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 10:34 am
@Brandon9000,
Quote:

In addition to this statement, I'd be grateful if you'd answer the question asked.

Quote:

Intentions don't matter, what matters is results.

If we kill 400 people by accident - because they got in our way while we were trying to kill other people - we are just as guilty as those who killed those people on purpose.

Your distinction is arbitrary and childish; as if it mattered what our intentions were! Dead is dead. That's what matters at the end of the day. It doesn't matter if they are dead as a goal or on the way to a goal.

This isn't complicated.

Quote:

In every modern war, non-combatants have been killed accidentally. I presume, though, that you're not saying that all wars past, present, and future are morally unacceptable. To say that a country which tries hard to spare civilians in the area is morally equivalent to people who aim at civilians as the primary, intended target is simply ridiculous. We should take greater and greater pains to spare non-combatants, but there is no prospect whatever of eliminating totally the deaths of non-combatants in war.

This is why war should be limited to situations where it is absolutely and completely unavoidable. We do not do that and therefore bear as much guilt for the deaths we cause as anybody does.

You have created false moral distinctions based upon the presumption that we are engaging in necessary wars; that we were FORCED to take actions which lead to the deaths of innocent. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Cycloptichorn
Brandon9000

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 10:40 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

..If we kill 400 people by accident - because they got in our way while we were trying to kill other people - we are just as guilty as those who killed those people on purpose. ...
Cycloptichorn

According to this logic which you enunciate above, every government which has participated in war, including the Founding Fathers in the Revolutionary War, is equally as guilty as someone who straps a nail bomb to his waist and detonates himself in a marketplace trying to take down as many civilians as possible. I think I'll leave this one at a simple, "I don't agree."
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 10:42 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

..If we kill 400 people by accident - because they got in our way while we were trying to kill other people - we are just as guilty as those who killed those people on purpose. ...
Cycloptichorn

According to this logic which you enunciate above, every government which has participated in war, including the Founding Fathers in the Revolutionary War, is equally as guilty as someone who straps a nail bomb to his waist and detonates himself in a marketplace trying to take down as many civilians as possible. I think I'll leave this one at a simple, "I don't agree."

Yes, that's the truth. We have blood on our hands. You may want to pretend that we don't, but we do.

You ought to come to terms with this, Brandon. Occasionally governments have to do bad things and everyone understands that. But we shouldn't do what you are doing - pretending that we are justified. We are not justified when innocents die, ever.

Cycloptichorn
JTT

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 01:56 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
Yes, that's the truth. We have blood on our hands. You may want to pretend that we don't, but we do.

... But we shouldn't do what you are doing - pretending that we are justified. We are not justified when innocents die, ever.

Another excellent example is Cuba. The USA has been actively engaging in terrorist actions against Cuba since 1959. Fifty one years of terrorism against a poor little Caribbean country.

And Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Afghanistan, Chile, ...

The VOA is by definition a terrorist organization.
Diest TKO

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 03:55 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
You have created false moral distinctions based upon the presumption that we are engaging in necessary wars; that we were FORCED to take actions which lead to the deaths of innocent. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Exactly.

I accidentally shot a man when I was trying to kill Hitler.

versus...

I accidentally shot a man when I was trying to catch a unicorn (or find an invisible WMD).

T
K
O
Brandon9000

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 07:54 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

You ought to come to terms with this, Brandon. Occasionally governments have to do bad things and everyone understands that. But we shouldn't do what you are doing - pretending that we are justified. We are not justified when innocents die, ever.

Cycloptichorn

Okay, according to you all war is immoral. So be it. I disagree.
Brandon9000

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 07:55 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:

... But we shouldn't do what you are doing - pretending that we are justified. We are not justified when innocents die, ever.

Another excellent example is Cuba. The USA has been actively engaging in terrorist actions against Cuba since 1959. Fifty one years of terrorism against a poor little Caribbean country.

And Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Afghanistan, Chile, ...

The VOA is by definition a terrorist organization.

I dare you to give exactly one example in your own words (don't just link us to someone else's words). Anyone can accuse anyone of anything.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 07:59 pm
@Diest TKO,
Diest TKO wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Exactly.

versus...

I accidentally shot a man when I was trying to catch a unicorn (or find an invisible WMD).

T
K
O

Your argument is unclear. Are you saying that killing a non-combatant, despite trying to spare him, is morally equivalent to aiming at him on purpose in any war or just in "unjust" wars?
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 08:00 pm
Accept it: Terrorists will eventually get Nuclear material, and they WILL threaten to use it.

Maybe we should figure out how to stop growing terrorists? Just a thought.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 08:02 pm
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
Okay, according to you all war is immoral. So be it. I disagree.

Sometimes it's necessary to engage in immoral acts, because a situation falls so far outside of the bounds of normal behavior that NOT acting would lead to far worse in the long run. Thus is the rationale for war born.

But the key is to understand that you don't remove your responsibility for having committed immoral acts because of this fact! Absolute and inflexible morality is as much of a curse in real life as a source of strength. Claiming that we would never go to war, ever, no matter what, because it was immoral would be dumb.

But neither should we pretend that we are morally justified when innocents die.

It is never justified. Sometime mistakes happen and everyone understands this. But only some of us pretend that it's okay that these people die. The rest of us carry the burden our country placed on us, because - as citizens - we let it happen in our name. I think about it all the time, and if you bothered to think about it - not in terms of dry numbers or some sense of 'the larger mission' but actually think about the lives of the people involved - I think you would have a harder time holding the position that you do.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 09:07 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

Diest TKO wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Exactly.

versus...

T
K
O

Your argument is unclear. Are you saying that killing a non-combatant, despite trying to spare him, is morally equivalent to aiming at him on purpose in any war or just in "unjust" wars?

If in WW2, I accidentally shoot a French woman in a battle to liberate the French, I'm going to feel like ****.

If in Iraq, I accidentally shoot a Iraqi woman in a battle to find secure a palace we think but ultimately doesn't have WMDs, I'm going to REALLY feel like ****.

If I am confronted by both surviving families after the wars, I do not expect the same reception.

The French had losses, but ultimately survived the Nazis.

The Iraqis had losses, but ultimately survived the USA.

T
K
O
Brandon9000

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 12:51 am
@Diest TKO,
Diest TKO wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

Diest TKO wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Exactly.

versus...

T
K
O

If in WW2, I accidentally shoot a French woman in a battle to liberate the French, I'm going to feel like ****.

If in Iraq, I accidentally shoot a Iraqi woman in a battle to find secure a palace we think but ultimately doesn't have WMDs, I'm going to REALLY feel like ****....
But what you're saying here is a far cry from saying that the US has done something wrong or that the inevitable civilian losses in wars makes us equivalent to terrorists who aim specifically at civilians.

Furthermore, if you had justification in believing that the probability of WMDs or WMD development programs being present combined with the consequences if they were present was serious, then you should feel equally or almost equally bad about accidentally killing the Iraqi and French civilian.
Diest TKO

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 07:30 am
@Brandon9000,
You've got it wrong.

If you are a cop and you have the noble intention of taking out criminals and stopping the drug trade (all noble things), and you make the call to raid a house, the outcome outweighs your good intention.

So if you kick in that door and get the bad guys, great. However, if you kick in the door and it turns out that you've got the wrong house and innocent people get hurt, your good intentions mean jack ****.

In short: You better know what damn door you're kicking in, because you're responsible for what happens after that point.

Do you understand that negligence isn't a defense?

T
K
O