MSNBC's top programs provide more than 18 times as much coverage of Haiti earthquake as Fox News' to

msolga

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 08:38 am
@Ticomaya,
There were some videos that Robert posted, Ticomya. Sorry, I'm not sure exactly on which page of this thread. I was also referring to some of the posters here to threads about Haiti. There were also references to media commentary on the subject. Once again, I can't locate them now. (Sorry, way past my bedtime. Otherwise I'd be happy to do a search & locate for you. )
Ticomaya

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 09:05 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
There were some videos that Robert posted, Ticomya. Sorry, I'm not sure exactly on which page of this thread. I was also referring to some of the posters here to threads about Haiti. There were also references to media commentary on the subject. Once again, I can't locate them now. (Sorry, way past my bedtime. Otherwise I'd be happy to do a search & locate for you. )

Yeah, I think I watched those videos. They were certainly critical of Obama.

I'm patient, msolga.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 11:55 am
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:
but I did miss the links from the "far right" saying "we" (the US) should not provide emergency assistance to Haiti. Do they exist? What I saw were comments excoriating Obama, but not calling for a halt of aid. Did I miss the links?

have you got Omsig on ignore?
Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 12:01 pm
Ticochumpo just showed up looking for a fight to pick, so of course he didn't read any of David's posts. He stopped getting any response out of me, so now, the self-promoting knight in shining armor is picking on Miss Olga. That's how desperate he is to find someone to disagree with and quarrel with.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 12:03 pm
@Ticomaya,
http://able2know.org/topic/140390-4#post-3878987
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 01:31 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
but I did miss the links from the "far right" saying "we" (the US) should not provide emergency assistance to Haiti. Do they exist? What I saw were comments excoriating Obama, but not calling for a halt of aid. Did I miss the links?

have you got Omsig on ignore?

No, but I should clarify I did not mean to say there were no posts by participants in this thread that did so, David or others. I was referring more broadly to the "far right". (I'm also not alleging they don't exist, merely that I had not seen them.)

I certainly did not think msolga was basing her perception upon comments made by posters in this thread. She should know better than that.
Ticomaya

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 01:32 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Ticochumpo just showed up looking for a fight to pick, so of course he didn't read any of David's posts. He stopped getting any response out of me, so now, the self-promoting knight in shining armor is picking on Miss Olga. That's how desperate he is to find someone to disagree with and quarrel with.

Did you notice the manner I've "disagreed and "quarreled" with msolga, Setfatty? I failed to make any personal attacks upon her, and really all I did was ask for clarification. In short, I was neither a dick nor an ass.

This is in sharp contrast with the manner in which you tend to "quarrel" and "disagree" with posters at this site.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 01:40 pm
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:
I was referring more broadly to the "far right".

ok

so, this far right, who does that cover? Is Mr. Limbaugh far right?

and just in case it's folks from the right, but not far right (using your definition of course), are those acceptable references?

A lot of Omsig's stuff looks like direct Limbaugh riffs.
Foofie

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 01:42 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

The notion that we would recruit from among Haitians is ludicrous. We don't have any need for a military base on Haiti, either. It can't be said too often . . . Foofie is an idiot.

Not knowing Foofie, it would be more correct to say that Setanta's opinion of Foofie is that Foofie is an idiot. However, that just reflects Setanta's opinion based on his cyberspace observations. No one on the forum knows Foofie personally, the life led by Foofie, accomplishments, education, etc. The fact that Foofie's opinions are not part of the forum's consensus means little. Remember, Foofie does not subscribe to the popular opinions found on the forum.

Also, note that Foofie has no stated pejorative opinions of any forum posters. The fact that Setanta finds it necessary to remind other posters of his opinion of Foofie, does not make Foofie want to reciprocate and post an opinion about Setanta. Foofie knows it is best to keep his distance from certain people, regardless of how nice certain people may be to others.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 03:24 pm
Do you think it's cute to refer to yourself in the third person? Address the criticism clown. Explain how we are going to recruit Haitians when the overwhelming majority of them don't even speak English. Explain what possible use we could have for a military base there, which would justify the expenditure.

Idiot.
dlowan

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 04:06 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Ticomaya wrote:

ok

and just in case it's folks from the right, but not far right (using your definition of course), are those acceptable references?

A lot of Omsig's stuff looks like direct Limbaugh riffs.

Glenn Beck.

Pat Robertson.

Hawkeye.

Didn't O'Reilly have a spit re Obama too quickly? More quickly than re the failed bomb.

You don't have to look more than a second or so to see it.
Ticomaya

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 05:46 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:

ok

Actually, I'm not sure whom it covers ... msolga referred to the "far right." Perhaps she was referring to OSDavid. But I thought she might have been referring to a broader base, perhaps Limbaugh or Beck ... I'm not sure to whom she was referring. And I didn't define the term she used, and I don't know if she considers Limbaugh "far right," although I would assume she does.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 05:49 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
Glenn Beck.

Pat Robertson.

Hawkeye.

Didn't O'Reilly have a spit re Obama too quickly? More quickly than re the failed bomb.

Did any of those three (forget Hawkeye) say we should not provide aid to Haiti, or we should condition our aid on something?

Pat Robertson said it was Haiti's fault because of the deal with the devil, however his organization sent $1 million in aid, I believe.

I listened to the Beck link, and I think he was critical of Obama, and how this disaster was "tailor-made" for him -- or words to that effect -- but I didn't remember him saying we should not send aid.

Did I miss it?
BigTexN

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 06:47 pm
@Ticomaya,
Quote:
Pat Robertson said it was Haiti's fault because of the deal with the devil

Don't leave out Danny Glover's "It's payback for Copenhagen" comment too!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 07:14 pm
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

dlowan wrote:
Glenn Beck.

Pat Robertson.

Hawkeye.

Did any of those three (forget Hawkeye) say we should not provide aid to Haiti, or we should condition our aid on something?

Pat Robertson said it was Haiti's fault because of the deal with the devil, however his organization sent $1 million in aid, I believe.

I listened to the Beck link, and I think he was critical of Obama, and how this disaster was "tailor-made" for him -- or words to that effect -- but I didn't remember him saying we should not send aid.

Did I miss it?

I think you missed everything.

What do you think of these disgusting comments by the far right?
Foofie

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 07:46 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Do you think it's cute to refer to yourself in the third person? Address the criticism clown. Explain how we are going to recruit Haitians when the overwhelming majority of them don't even speak English. Explain what possible use we could have for a military base there, which would justify the expenditure.

Idiot.

Why would you care if I think my writing in the third person is "cute"? I write in the third person, because it sounds nicer to my ears. You make reference to me in ad-hominems; do I care why you do that? Nyet!

Yes, we need a base in that neck of the woods, since there are early rumblings of anti-Americanism in the Southern Hemisphere. And, similar to the Philippines, with time people learn English.

We need bases all over the world, since communism is an idea that did not die with the demise of the Soviet Union. Any country where there are people with the desire to have a new government has the potential to go communist, since communism does not need a functioning economy to be over a country.

But, since you do not believe that the U.S.A. could use a military base in Haiti, I must be wrong, even though it would be nice to have a substitute for our base in Cuba, since one never knows when one might have to leave an existing base. So, I defer to your always being right. [Foofie bows deeply to Setanta in a most earnest deferential manner, while muttering the famous cutsie remark used by Setanta, "goys and birls."]
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 08:44 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Which "disgusting" comments by whom?
Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 10:44 pm
In fact, Foofie, you have articulated no good reason at all for our having military bases on Hispaniola. We do have the base on Cuba, and there is no reason to suppose that we are going to lose it anytime soon. We have bases in Panama, which serve well enough for your chimerical threats from South America. I find it hilarious, but really unsurprising that you are still looking for commies hiding under your bed. Whether or not people can learn English is hardly the issue. The Haitians don't speak English now, they lack the sort of basic education which would be needed for a newly recruited soldier, most of them likely wouldn't meet the physical standards, given the decades, even generations of malnutrition which has been their lot. Of all the idiotic ideas you have put forward at this site--and there have been quite a few--this is one of the most idiotic.

But more importantly, it points to a flaw in your character so deep, that i doubt pointing it out to you is going to sink in with you at all. We are engaged in delivery humanitarian aid to Haiti. That means that we help them because of their dire circumstances, because we are a nation of decent people, and not because we expect to get anything out of it. It seems to me that such a consideration is completely alien to your world view, something you very likely are incapable of comprehending.

Idiot.
Ticomaya

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2010 08:11 am
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:
dlowan wrote:

Which "disgusting" comments by whom?

Never mind, rabbit. I went back and reread this thread to see if I could find the source of msolga's outrage. It is, evidently, primarily the two links provided by RG, one of Limbaugh and one of Beck. Evidently she's "stopped dead in her tracks" with the thought that anyone would dare be critical of the US president during this time of tragedy. Those must be the "disgusting comments" of which you speak. Perhaps she's insulated enough from US politics to believe that the "far left" would never have taken shots at President Bush during a time of tragedy.

I thought she believed some were suggesting we should not have sent aid to Haiti, which is what I wanted clarification on.
engineer

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2010 08:32 am
@Ticomaya,
In general, I have been pleased with the overall response of the "right" to the situation in Haiti. Overall, the call has been for support for Haiti across the political spectrum. While Limbaugh did actively discourage Haitian support, he was pretty much out there by himself on that one. Of course Robertson comments were ridiculous, but even he called for Haitian aid. On A2K, with one notable exception, the call has also been for Haitian support. I don't think we can look at the one offs (even one as influential as Limbaugh) as a picture of the entire right half of the political spectrum.
0 Replies