If something would happen to the the frozen embryos could Alabama be sued for murder.

Nene

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2024 01:16 pm
If these embryos are people then can Alabama be held responsible for these babies. Because they are not able to be implanted . And if they want let the owners of the embryos have them.

jespah

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2024 03:05 pm
@Nene,
You don't "sue" for murder. Murder is a criminal matter. Anything you sue for is civil.

You mean prosecuted. And it's much more likely it would be manslaughter, if anything.

It's also not Alabama that would be held responsible; it's the IVF clinics. This is why they are all closing. They don't want to take the risk.

Truth is, the Alabama Supreme Court didn't take into account the tax implications of their ruling. If embryos are people, then aren't they dependents under tax law? Do you get the head of household tax break if your embryos "live" elsewhere?

This also clearly implies that fetuses are people, which also means a tax issue during gestation. And, are you committing neglect if you miss a doctor's appointment while pregnant? Is it abuse if you eat penne ala vodka, and the sauce is undercooked?

Since you need to put names on tax returns to declare them as dependents, then I guess people will be naming their kids as soon as they get the positive test back (or at least before April 15th).

0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2024 08:39 pm
How about arresting a fertilized egg for murder. Would the execution be considered an abortion?
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2024 11:31 am
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

How about arresting a fertilized egg for murder. Would the execution be considered an abortion?

Fertilized egg:
But your honor! I have an alibi. I was locked in a medical clinic freezer the time of the murder! Not to mention... I don't have any formed limbs or eyes or whatever.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2024 11:58 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Nah, nobody gives a **** about the incubators women. If pregnancy kills 'em, then it's God's will or some other bullshit.
0 Replies