MSNBC's top programs provide more than 18 times as much coverage of Haiti earthquake as Fox News' to

Foofie

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2010 01:38 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

... I find it hilarious, but really unsurprising that you are still looking for commies hiding under your bed...

That is because international communism attracts the losers, including many anti-Semites, anti-Americans, anti-British, anti-western modernity.

However, I find it hard to believe that you find much of anything "hilarious," since I perceive you as a very serious individual.

[Foofie awaits Setanta's reply with his usual ad-hominem to Foofie. Setanta's current favorite Foofie ad-hominem is , "idiot." Foofie understands that people that want to offend someone else oftentimes use the offensive language that would most offend themselves. Foofie muses then whether Setanta has a particular sensitivity to the word "idiot"?]
farmerman

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2010 02:32 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie oughta not hold Foofies breath lest Foofie die of hypoxia. This AM, I wasnt even sure what a Foofie was.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2010 04:44 pm
If we could discover what a foofie is, maybe we could discern why Foofie constantly discusses foofies and their predilections.
mesquite

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2010 06:05 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
If we could discover what a foofie is

Take your pick
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2010 08:21 pm
@Ticomaya,
Re: Ticomaya (Post 3882945)

Quote:
Never mind, rabbit. I went back and reread this thread to see if I could find the source of msolga's outrage. It is, evidently, primarily the two links provided by RG, one of Limbaugh and one of Beck.

The "source of my outrage", as you put it, is that a humanitarian catastrophe so far involving at least 70,000 deaths in Haiti could be used for internal politic davantage by (what appears to be) a handful of far right media commentators, plus some posters to this forum. There have been two major threads (plus others) on this forum about the situation in Haiti. (a link to the other was supplied to you yesterday):
http://able2know.org/topic/140390-1

I have been involved in both threads. If you have any specific questions about any particular comments I have made, feel free to ask. But a question to you, Ticomaya. In response to Deb's question to you yesterday:

Quote:
I think you missed everything.What do you think of these disgusting comments by the far right?

You said:
Quote:
Which "disgusting" comments by whom?

To make it easier for you, I'm asking where do you stand on the Limbaugh & Beck videos actually posted to this thread? What is your view on what they actually said? You seem very keen on clarification from me. Now I'm asking for some from you.

Ticomaya said:
Quote:
Evidently she's "stopped dead in her tracks" with the thought that anyone would dare be critical of the US president during this time of tragedy. Those must be the "disgusting comments" of which you speak. Perhaps she's insulated enough from US politics to believe that the "far left" would never have taken shots at President Bush during a time of tragedy.

You honestly think that my primary interest in this subject is US politics? That anyone would "dare to criticize Obama"? You are way off the mark here. That may be your focus, it certainly isn't mine. Which is the role of the media in forming public opinion in response to the crisis in Haiti :

msolga said:
Quote:
You know, it is hard, from a distance, to know how much impact the material I've seen here might actually have had on people's opinions in the US. How many actually see the Glenn Becks & others of his ilk on other media outlets on a regular basis. How many other television broadcasters, newspapers, radio stations support such views. Maybe they are just an extreme fringe that no one much pays any attention to? Maybe the handful conservatives here who have pushed such a strong anti-aid to Haiti line over the past few days are the only ones who have been influenced? I don't know. My understanding (perhaps wrongly) is that the far right of US politics has run an anti-aid (to Haiti) line, as part of an anti-Obama line. That (if it is true) is what I find deeply offensive & opportunistic. I don't really think it matters if those views are aired primarily on Fox, or on a variety of media outlets. It is the message that offends. But, if I've got my wires totally crossed about this, please feel free to tell me so. I'm listening.

Whether you choose accept it or not, this what I have been most interested in on this thread. I've found the posts from Robert & Setanta, in particular, very helpful & illuminating in gaining a better understanding.

Ticomaya said:
Quote:
I thought she believed some were suggesting we should not have sent aid to Haiti, which is what I wanted clarification on

But there there were such suggestions, definitely reservations ... say nothing of comments that there should be "strings attached" ! On the two main Haiti threads (plus others) Here's a random sample from a quick search just now:

Quote:
Haiti did not become deforested, obscenely corrupt, without government, and mired in grinding poverty by bad luck. Nor by being abused by the rest of us. They did it to themselves, and they can undo it to themselves, with our help if they should want it.

Quote:
Quote:
OUR AID WOUD BE WELCOME
IF WE KEPT IT IN AMERICA, WHERE IT BELONGS !

Quote:
The media has stirred the hearts of many. But, let us see if the U.S. ultimately benefits from its largesse with a military base in Haiti, and an eager source of military recruits. Not that that would be bad. In my opinion, that would be good. Fair trade is not thievery.

I could spend hours combing over all threads on this subject to supply you with every single example, but frankly, I have neither the time nor the inclination. You can do that for yourself, if you like. In any case, I remain perplexed at these sorts of comments in response to a humanitarian crisis of huge proportions.

Finally, Ticomaya, where do you stand on the issue of US aid to Haiti? Are you supportive? Do you have reservations? If so, what are your reservations?

dlowan

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2010 08:26 pm
@msolga,
Really arcane stuff to understand, though, Msolga.

Too obscure for Tico to get, do you think?
msolga

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2010 08:33 pm
@dlowan,
I honestly dunno, Deb.

But I eagerly await Tico's response!
dlowan

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2010 08:37 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

I dunno, Deb.

But I eagerly await clarification! Wink

Wanna bet?

I bet:

You'll not get it...you'll get a total avoidance of the meat of the matter, and a demand that you find cites for a wish to deny aid, a stated and clearly articulated and published one, instead of the wish being screamingly obvious, but avoided as a clear statement because the arse-holes have not had the guts to articulate their desires clearly, so that they can wriggle and squirm and deny when confronted.

msolga

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2010 08:42 pm
@dlowan,
Sorry, I edited my last response (which you quoted).

But yes, clarification, definitely.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2010 09:12 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
To make it easier for you, I'm asking where do you stand on the Limbaugh & Beck videos actually posted to this thread? What is your view on what they actually said? You seem very keen on clarification from me. Now I'm asking for some from you.

My view? Unoffended.

Quote:
You honestly think that my primary interest in this subject is US politics?

No, I do not.

Quote:
My understanding (perhaps wrongly) is that the far right of US politics has run an anti-aid (to Haiti) line, as part of an anti-Obama line.

Okay, that's your understanding. What I've said is I've not seen the "anti-aid to Haiti line," and I don't believe the videos you've referenced above espouse an "anti-aid to Haiti line." So, yes ... perhaps you understand wrongly.

My understanding (perhaps wrongly) is that leftists are willing to believe the worst of conservatives, and they don't even need a reason.

Quote:
But, if I've got my wires totally crossed about this, please feel free to tell me so. I'm listening.

Done.

Quote:
Whether you choose accept it or not, this what I have been most interested in on this thread. I've found the posts from Robert & Setanta, in particular, very helpful & illuminating in gaining a better understanding.

Why would I not accept it, msolga?

Quote:
Ticomaya said:
Quote:
I thought she believed some were suggesting we should not have sent aid to Haiti, which is what I wanted clarification on

But there there were such suggestions, definitely reservations ... say nothing of comments that there should be "strings attached" ! On the two main Haiti threads (plus others) Here's a random sample from a quick search just now:

Okay, you cited to posters at this site. I was aware that some at this site have posted such views.

Quote:
I could spend hours combing over all threads on this subject to supply you with every single example, but frankly, I have neither the time nor the inclination.

I don't blame you.

Quote:
You can do that for yourself, if you like.

No thank you.

Quote:
In any case, I remain perplexed at these sorts of comments in response to a humanitarian crisis of huge proportions.

Why on earth would you be perplexed? There are people at this site who advocate rape. People who express their extreme racism on this site. How can you be perplexed at such things? You think Limbaugh or Beck are responsible for their views?

Quote:
Finally, Ticomaya, where do you stand on the issue of US aid to Haiti? Are you supportive? Do you have reservations? If so, what are your reservations?

I am in favor of it. I have no reservations.

Does that surprise you? Did you think I ate little babies in my spare time?
Ticomaya

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2010 09:14 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
Wanna bet?

I bet:

You'll not get it...you'll get a total avoidance of the meat of the matter, and a demand that you find cites for a wish to deny aid, a stated and clearly articulated and published one, instead of the wish being screamingly obvious, but avoided as a clear statement because the arse-holes have not had the guts to articulate their desires clearly, so that they can wriggle and squirm and deny when confronted.

I didn't ask her for cites for a wish to deny aid. I've reached the conclusion that she can't find any.
msolga

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2010 09:25 pm
@Ticomaya,
Quote:
I am in favor of it. I have no reservations.

Does that surprise you? Did you think I ate little babies in my spare time?

Well I'm delighted & yes, actually surprised, that you support aid to Haiti, Ticomaya.

Nope, I don't think you're a baby eater, either. But I certainly wish you've give more detailed responses than "My view? Unoffended." Does that mean you actually support those views? (Can I expect a "Yup" in response to that? Wink )

That's kind of a teflon response, really. Something more detailed would have been much appreciated.

And I'm also now somewhat perplexed at the persistence of your questions directed at me. Apart from a bit of baiting, I doubt you were all that interested , really. I'll keep that in mind for future reference.
msolga

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2010 09:30 pm
@Ticomaya,
Quote:
I didn't ask her for cites for a wish to deny aid. I've reached the conclusion that she can't find any.

And I've reached the conclusion you're just playing games here, Ticomya ... & somewhat lazily at that.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 02:15 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
Well I'm delighted & yes, actually surprised, that you support aid to Haiti, Ticomaya.

Is that because you think conservatives in general don't want to aid their fellow man (and certainly not no furriners), or because I've said something to make you think I in particular don't support aid to Haiti?

Quote:
Nope, I don't think you're a baby eater, either. But I certainly wish you've give more detailed responses than "My view? Unoffended." Does that mean you actually support those views? (Can I expect a "Yup" in response to that? Wink )

The views that Obama may be using this tragedy for political gain? I think all politicians do that, most likely. Is it my view? No, it isn't. But if it were, I could still hold that view and support aid to Haiti.

Quote:
And I'm also now somewhat perplexed at the persistence of your questions directed at me. Apart from a bit of baiting, I doubt you were all that interested , really. I'll keep that in mind for future reference.

If you are truly interested, the reason my questions were directed at you is because you were the one who asked the questions about the "far right." I was honestly interested to know if Limbaugh or Beck had opposed aid to Haiti. I don't listen or watch either one of them. I hadn't seen any evidence that they had, yet it seemed to me as if you believed that they had, and I wondered why that was. Maybe you could go back and read my posts of yesterday knowing this. My tone changed this morning mainly because I grew tired of the rabbit's acerbic replies.

But I'll try to refrain from engaging you in the future, msolga, now that I know your sensitivities.
msolga

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 02:25 am
@Ticomaya,
Quote:
But I'll try to refrain from engaging you in the future, msolga, now that I know your sensitivities.

With all due respect, Ticomaya, that is a patronizing cop out. But that is up to you, obviously.

And, maybe, if you are going request "clarifications" in such a persistent manner, you could a least be prepared to respond with more than glib, evasive one liners when the same is requested of you.
Ticomaya

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 02:33 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
And, maybe, if you are going request "clarifications" in such a persistent manner, you could a least be prepared to respond with more than glib, evasive one liners when the same is requested of you.

I'll keep that in mind for future reference.
msolga

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 02:37 am
@Ticomaya,
Well thank you!
Ticomaya

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 02:39 am
@msolga,
No, thank you!
msolga

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 02:41 am
@Ticomaya,
Whatever. Frankly I don't much care.

And now I'm off to wash the dishes. I've wasted enough time on this nonsense today.
JTT

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 01:20 pm
@msolga,
Years ago, after reading not all that many of his postings, Ticomaya became Tico the tangent man for very obvious reasons.