MSNBC's top programs provide more than 18 times as much coverage of Haiti earthquake as Fox News' to

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 06:25 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Your strange views of tectonics and politics must also be true for places like LA , ALaska, Japan, and China. Am I close?

In 1989 we had an earthquake in SF which was even more powerfull....how many people died?

nuff said
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 06:29 pm
What a fuckin' idiot. How does that make this quake the fault of the Haitians?

Oh, but wait . . . you have an op-ed piece from some clown at Slate-dot-com--well, hell, it must be so!
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 06:33 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
What a fuckin' idiot. How does that make this quake the fault of the Haitians?

the quake is not their fault, the death toll is, which is why it should not be responded to by us with sympathy. Calls for Haitian reform would be more appropriate and more helpful. Societies that don't do it right suffer, and if they still don't learn they get eliminated. We cant change this rule as badly as we might want to, given how fucked up America is right now.

Setanta

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 06:37 pm
@hawkeye10,
If America is "fucked up" right now as you allege, i'd say gobshites with attitudes like yours are the likely cause. However, you wrote:

Quote:
This earthquake is part of a continuum of self inflicted Haitian tragedies.

... so, Einstein, perhaps you can explain how Haitians "inflicted" this earthquake on themselves.

Jacksass.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 06:41 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
America’s efforts to assist Haiti over the last 20 years were hobbled by bitter partisan division over Jean-Bertrand Aristide, the country’s elected, deposed and then reinstalled president. Unfortunately, as the American debate over policy toward Haiti subsided with Mr. Aristide’s final ouster in 2004, so did American interest.

The latest disaster to befall Haiti creates the opportunity to combine bipartisan accord on Haiti in Washington with keen and perhaps sustained American public interest. The first priorities must be food, water, medicine and shelter. The second is to repair hospitals, schools, roads, electricity and telephone service and government buildings.

But these institutions should not be rebuilt on the old inefficient and corrupt foundations. This disaster is an opportunity to accelerate oft-delayed reforms in each of these sectors. The port of Port-au-Prince has, for instance, long had one of the highest costs per ton of shipping in the hemisphere, despite also having the lowest wages. Any aid that goes to rebuilding the port should be conditional on ending this grossly inefficient management and distorted cost structure.

Likewise, money for repairing the country’s telecommunications system should be linked to breaking up or at least reorganizing the government-controlled telephone monopoly. The same goes with the Education Ministry, the electric company, the Health Ministry and the courts. Repair or replace the buildings, by all means, but also insist on fundamental reforms in their management.

James Dobbins is a former special envoy to Haiti under President Bill Clinton and director of the International Security and Defense Policy Center at the RAND Corporation.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/17/opinion/17dobbins.html

Are the Haitians going to be willing to except conditions on aid, or are they going to go into their usual song and dance about American colonialism?

I think we know, but we must await their choice. If they chose to do what they have always done then we must hold onto our check books and hearts for their own good. sometimes tough love is required, and it will be in this case.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 06:42 pm
Nice dodge . . . you still have not explained how the Haitians inflicted this earthquake on themselves.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 06:44 pm
@Setanta,
(Quick post on my way out. Will post again later on)
I think think nimh has raised some very interesting issues here. And I'm very disappointed that that the focus of this discussion has become (once again) about hawkeye's jaundiced views. I wish the rest of you would just ignore his posts & explore the issues that have been raised. I, for one, would be very interested in what you've got to say.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 06:49 pm
@msolga,
Quote:
I wish the rest of you would just ignore his posts & explore the issues that have been raised. I, for one, would be very interested in what you've got to say.

should be no problem....we have lots of practice on running away from uncomfortable truths and ignoring people who say what we dont want to hear.

We did not get where we are in the modern world by accident, we did it to ourselves with willful intellectual dishonesty.
dyslexia

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 06:54 pm
@hawkeye10,
hey hawk, it's sat. aren't there some 12 yr olds in the playground you can fondle? You need something to keep you busy man.
Setanta

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 06:56 pm
@msolga,
It's very kind of you to express an interest in what i say--however, i consider this a "non-story." First because Fox "News" isn't really a reputable news program--rather it's entertainment and propaganda dissemination. Second because, as has been pointed out to Nihm, other parts of their "news" organization did give this event extensive coverage.

On your other point, you are right, that joker is not worth my time, or anyone else's.
dlowan

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 06:57 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

tsarstepan wrote:
I don't want to sound insensitive and I hate to defend Fox News in any fashion but so what?

Yes; I'm not sure this tempest even aspires to teapot status.

It is not SURPRISING...but it IS worthy of note, I believe...at least for those watch those programs thinking they are news programs, as opposed to political propaganda.

Thing is, if you are one of those people, you're not, presumably, going to see this survey.

This earthquake is a major disaster...if anything is newsworthy, this is.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 06:59 pm
@hawkeye10,
The subject of the thread, as I understand it, is the response of (some of) the US media to a a humanitarian catastrophe of huge proportions, right in your immediate "neighbourhood".

I think your responses have been off-topic.

What you see as "uncomfortable truths" I see as you airing your own particular prejudices. And sorry, I think they're irrelevant to the intended discussion. Apart from that, I think everyone's pretty clear on your views already.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 07:00 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

(Quick post on my way out. Will post again later on)
I think think nimh has raised some very interesting issues here. And I'm very disappointed that that the focus of this discussion has become (once again) about hawkeye's jaundiced views. I wish the rest of you would just ignore his posts & explore the issues that have been raised. I, for one, would be very interested in what you've got to say.

What she said times 100
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 07:00 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
. . . we have lots of practice on running away from uncomfortable truths and ignoring people who say what we dont want to hear.

Now that's hilarious coming from you. What's that we ****, you got a mouse in your pocket? You certainly are a past master of slinking away from a thread when the heat was poured on you. You're getting off pretty lightly in this one, though.

Hey, you still have failed to explain how the Haitians inflicted this earthquake on themselves. In deference to Miss Olga, who is someone worth talking to, i'll just assume you have no answer, Mr. Gobshite, and stop bothering with you.
JTT

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 07:01 pm
@dyslexia,
That's just plain stupid. You're losing your touch, Dys.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 07:02 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

It's very kind of you to express an interest in what i say--however, i consider this a "non-story." First because Fox "News" isn't really a reputable news program--rather it's entertainment and propaganda dissemination. Second because, as has been pointed out to Nihm, other parts of their "news" organization did give this event extensive coverage.

On your other point, you are right, that joker is not worth my time, or anyone else's.

Yes...but Fox has so many watchers that I think it IS relevant that it restricts its supposed "news" programs in such a way.

YOU and most of the people commenting here know what these shows are....I would assume that large numbers think they are getting news?

I think it crucial that these analyses continue to be done, and that the results are propagated.

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 07:06 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
Now that's hilarious coming from you.

What's truly hilarious is that you, of all people, have the gall to point something like this out.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 07:08 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:

(as an "outsider") I find it extremely interesting, rather than a "non story", Setanta. My understanding is that Fox news plays an important role in forming US public opinion through its broadcasting. It might well be "disreputable", as you say, but I see it as being a very important influence, never the less.
dlowan

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 07:12 pm
@msolga,
The article also points out that these are Fox's TOP RATED programs.

0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 07:14 pm
Back to the thread topic:

Fox doesn't know how to cover actual news events. By that I mean events which aren't easily slanted towards their own right wing bias.
What are the Republican-Conservative talking points for natural disasters?
We already are familier with their philosphy towards such things - do nothing, then do as little as possible.
(See the first four days after Katrina.)

But neither the RNC nor Fox has taken the time since that time to formulate what should be their reaction to the next disaster. Note that I said reaction, neither the RNC nor FoxNews seems capable of doing anything besides counter-punching and, despite the fair efforts above by Hawkeye to smear confusion over what actually happened, the commentators and broadcasters of Fox, lacking anything to make a snarky remark about have spent their time whistling about whatever else was coming off the wires and dishes.

Joe(So much for reporting and letting us decide.)Nation