Buying computer display via the Internet

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 12:38 pm
About a year ago there was a thread on Abuzz about the wisdom of buying computers and their peripherals through the Internet. I weighed in to the effect that I didn't think it was such a hot idea because of the complexity of returning unsatisfactory items.

Now I'm wavering. It's hard for me to get anywhere that I can really do a hands-on comparison; I pretty much have to rely on recommendations from CNET, PC World, etc.

How has your experience been? I'm very happy buying small stuff, even up to things like scanners; I've always had complete satisfaction with tsuch. But I wonder about something as large and expensive as a display.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 953 • Replies: 19
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 12:43 pm
Tomkitten - I checked out all the different models of LCD monitors in a number of computer stores. I found that the Samsung SyncMaster, and the ViewSonic were the clearest and sharpest.

If you buy over the internet at a decent dealer, there should be no problem if there is any difficulty with the monitor. Be careful of Joe Schmoe of whom you have never heard. I have bought a lot of stuff on the internet. Everything else being equal, I would rather pay a few bucks more, and buy in a place that has a good reputation.

Do you know about shopping bots?
0 Replies

roger

Overall, I prefer to shop internet for just about anything. Some vendors will post an 800 number on their sites. I find this reassuring, as some of them can be hard to contact. Most of them have a "Contact Us" block, but it is just amazing how well hidden most of them are. You might check this out before ordering.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

I do it on the net. It's almost always cheaper. On the internet purchases usually work like this, you get a break from the taxes but pay shipping. Thing is, buying something like that will almost always mean free shipping.

As to returns, yes, it can be a bit more of a pain (not that bad, depending on the company) but I have yet to have to return anything I bought online.
0 Replies

yeahman

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 01:02 pm
i bought all my computer parts over the internet EXCEPT for my monitor. many times the shipping will outweigh the savings for something as heavy as a monitor. and if you have to return it, that's even more money to ship it back.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 01:43 pm
Buying computer display
Thank you everybody.

I guess I can go the Internet route with confidence.

BTW, ye110man, as I read the specs, flat panels weigh a heck of a lot less than standard monitors - like 40+ pounds for the CRT kind vs 10-15 for flat panel. And I can tell you, 40 pounds is a lot to drop on your foot - that's what happened when I unpacked the monster I currently use (it's a real good monitor though, when it's not being aggressive.Rolling Eyes ).
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2003 07:14 pm
Buying
Phoenix - No, I don't know about shopping bots. Sounds as though you find them handy. Could you give me details?Thanks!
0 Replies

MurrayS

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 11:30 am
Howdy Tom:

Every system I have or had, including monitors and printers (exception: new HP 2500L laser) was purchased online with great success..

Mind you, the majority was purchased via auction sites such as Auction4It.com and EBay !!

Murray
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 02:50 pm
Buying computer display
I don't think I have the courage to buy at auction - I know of people who got badly burned buying large stuff on eBay (I've always had good luck with small non-computer stuff there, though). Perhaps someone should invent an Emoticon for cowardice. . . Rolling Eyes

BTW, Murray - weren't you an Abuzzer a while back? In any case, welcome to A2K!
0 Replies

MurrayS

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 03:16 pm
Tom:

Yep, I was.. Still pop in every once in awhile to see what's happening !!

Murray
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 03:25 pm
Tomkitten- Shopping bots are websites where you can compare prices of a certain item from different vendors. Here are a few popular ones:

http://www.bizrate.com

http://www.mysimon.com

As long as you know the make and model of what you want, you can use these sites to get a sense of what is the range of prices that the item is selling in the market.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 03:48 pm
TomKitten, as long as you stick with a reputable, well-established vendor, read enough equipment reviews to satisfy yourself of good odds for satisfactory performance and/or service, and use only secure payment methods, you'll be fine. Any good vendor will have relatively simple means available to facillitate the return and exchange or refund of most hardware items ... just be sure to have all related paperwork, including invoices, and intact packaging. The lowest price all too often fails to be the best deal. If you're just starting out, stick to big stores with lots of good reviews and buy product that has lots of good reviews ... particularly regarding frequency and quality of service. Known quantities provide the least risk all around. Buying "Cutting Edge", or shopping for price alone, whether from a brick-and-mortar store or an e-tailer is a crapshoot anyway, and most folks don't much care for that sort of aggravation (though some seem to Shocked Rolling Eyes Laughing )
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 04:05 pm
MySimon I knew, but didn't realize it's a "shopping bot". I was hoping to buy via A2K portal linkage, but this model is OS at both sources, unfortunately. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 04:05 pm
MySimon I knew, but didn't realize it's a "shopping bot". I was hoping to buy via A2K portal linkage, but this model is OS at both sources, unfortunately. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 04:06 pm
Oo Embarrassed ps
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 04:46 pm
Well, I've made my decision, and ordered via Amazon. I hope A2K benefits; Amazon itself passes the order on to a third party, so I'm not sure about the mechanics of the Amazon/A2K arrangement there.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 04:52 pm
Tomkitten- Enjoy, and use it in good health! Very Happy
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2004 04:45 pm
Buying
Well! After run-arounds and lack of response from an Amazon-listed Marketplace seller named Redzuco I cancelled my mid-October ViewSonic order with them, and just a week ago I placed an order for the VP191b with Global Computer, (listed by PriceGrabber). It arrived today, and I am eagerly looking forward to installing it, hopefully, tomorrow. I'm really excited! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 06:27 pm
Buyng computer
To everyone who made helpful suggestions and gave me advice - Thank You!

I have now installed my new ordered-via-Internet display and it"s everything I hoped for. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 08:04 pm
You know, I tried to buy some tools from an Amazon-listed Marketplace seller. Their catalog was so garbled and near illegible that I found what I wanted from another vendor. I think Amazon is following a bad scent, lately.
0 Replies