(Sigh) Okay, Christians, Please Call This Guy and Explain Why He Should Quit Calling Himself One.

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 05:48 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Can someone explain what this "pact with the devil" is supposed to hav ebeen?

http://www.blackandchristian.com/articles/academy/gelin-10-05.shtml
Here is an explanation from somebody that grew up there.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 07:26 am
Oops, apologies to Joe. I was so taken with Toussaint l'Ouverture that I didn't realize that your thread was about Pat Robertson. Don't forget, there's no such thing as bad publicity. Guess he's gettin' lots of it.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 07:37 am
Hope so, Letty, the more idiots like Robertson are exposed the better I like it.
Joe(now I have to call the 700 Club. Again.)Nation
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 07:41 am
Here's a short summary on the "pact" as presented in Time magazine

Quote:
So what was Robertson referring to? The theory that Haiti is a nation built on a pact with the devil has circulated on a number of websites, each tracing back to an apocryphal tale of Haitian voodoo priests sacrificing a pig and drinking its blood in 1791 in order to secure Satan's aid in expelling the French occupation. In return, the priests are said to have promised Haiti to Satan for the next 200 years. The French were soon beat back, and in 1804, Haiti became an independent nation. But even if you believe the story (something many historians doubt), Satan's lease on the tiny island nation should have expired in 1991.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1953379_1953494_1953674,00.html#ixzz0cgj6kLvy
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 10:01 am
@Joe Nation,
He can call himself whatever he wants, except sane, I think.

I listened to him say, 'If all those buildings are down, I understand there may be more fallen than standing, it may be a blessing in disguise because it may spur a massive rebuilding (paraphrase) - is that possible?'

And I thought, he's just oblivious to these people.. It'd be like if his house had burnt down and his entire family was incinerated and you were offering condolences and he thanked you and said, 'But, you know, the roof was leaking, so it's a blessing in disguise. Now I have an excuse to get a new roof.'

Seriously - I don't think you should take a thing he says seriously. He's insane.
dyslexia

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 10:47 am
I'm thinking the biggest shame is the media which plays and replays his clip representing him as a christian, They used to do the same thing with Dobson.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 12:07 pm
Best answer I've seen so far.
Printed in the Minn. StarTribune

Quote:
Dear Pat Robertson, I know that you know that all press is good press, so I appreciate the shout-out. And you make God look like a big mean bully who kicks people when they are down, so I'm all over that action. But when you say that Haiti has made a pact with me, it is totally humiliating. I may be evil incarnate, but I'm no welcher. The way you put it, making a deal with me leaves folks desperate and impoverished. Sure, in the afterlife, but when I strike bargains with people, they first get something here on earth -- glamour, beauty, talent, wealth, fame, glory, a golden fiddle. Those Haitians have nothing, and I mean nothing. And that was before the earthquake. Haven't you seen "Crossroads"? Or "Damn Yankees"? If I had a thing going with Haiti, there'd be lots of banks, skyscrapers, SUVs, exclusive night clubs, Botox -- that kind of thing. An 80 percent poverty rate is so not my style. Nothing against it -- I'm just saying: Not how I roll. You're doing great work, Pat, and I don't want to clip your wings -- just, come on, you're making me look bad. And not the good kind of bad. Keep blaming God. That's working. But leave me out of it, please. Or we may need to renegotiate your own contract. Best, Satan

LILY COYLE, MINNEAPOLIS

Joe(Thanks to the Tombell Texan for the headsup)Nation
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 06:18 pm
@Joe Nation,
Is this pact just some random effluvium of his awful mind, or is there some historical basis for his belief?
snood

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 06:55 pm
@dlowan,
Didn't JPB answer that question a few posts back?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 06:59 pm
@dlowan,
See this: http://www.blackandchristian.com/articles/academy/gelin-10-05.shtml

Edgar posted it back a few.

Apparently this devil pact rumor/smear has been around about as long as there were Christians needing to make hay out of it.
Joe(very loving)Nation
dlowan

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 09:51 pm
@Joe Nation,
Thank you Joe!!!! I missed it earlier.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 07:20 am
No problem, D.

I think they are getting plenty of calls, the prayer person sounds j u s t a little weary yesterday, tried to say "He was not judging anyone...." (!) I asked just how she could interpret calling them devil-worshippers non-judgmental?

Joe(ring ring ring that number.)Nation
Text “HAITI” to “90999″ to make a $10 donation.
2025 E Street, NWWashington, DC 20006 (800) REDCROSS (733-2767)
0 Replies

BigTexN

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 07:31 pm
@aidan,
Quote:
He can call himself whatever he wants, except sane, I think.

Were we discussing Danny Glover?

Quote:
And I hope we seize this particular moment because the threat of what happens in Haiti is the threat that can happen anywhere in the Caribbean to these island nations, you know?

They're all in peril because of global warming; they're all in peril because of climate change. When we see what we did at the climate summit in Copenhagen, this is the response, this is what happens, you know what I'm saying?
But we have to act now.

Quote:
Seriously - I don't think you should take a thing he says seriously. He's insane.

We WERE talking about Danny Glover!!!

0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 08:48 am
No, I don't know what he is saying, do you?

Of course, Mr. Glover IS a trained, Oscar-nominated actor whereas the good Reverend is, supposedly, in the business of spreading the word of the Love of Christ for All Humanity.

Whose opinion ought carry more weight?

Joe(how much crazy per ounce is bearing false witness against thy neighbor?)Nation
0 Replies