(Sigh) Okay, Christians, Please Call This Guy and Explain Why He Should Quit Calling Himself One.

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 06:50 am
"Something happened a long time ago in Haiti, and the people might not want to talk about it. They were under the heel of the French...and they got together and swore a pact to the devil. They said 'We will serve you, if you will get us free from the French.' True story. And so the devil said, 'Okay, it's a deal.' And they kicked the French out -- the Haitians revolted and got themselves free. But ever since they have been cursed by one thing after the other...They need to have and we need to pray for them a great turning to God. And out of this tragedy I'm optimistic something good may come..."
-- Pat Robertson
As quoted on the Doonesbury Web page under "Say What?"
Joe(I forget. Where did Christ teach "Blame the innocent."??)Nation

tycoon

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 07:24 am
I hate Pat Robertson's god.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 07:42 am
I think he said something about the devil and New Orleans after Katrina. He's not worth paying attention to. An energy drain.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 07:48 am
I heard this on NPR driving home yesterday, and almost posted about it.

Then I realized it would just disgust me even more.

You know what though? I should be disgusted. We should ALL be disgusted.

Giving airtime to this man is a sin.

It sounds like something someone's senile old grandfather would say, while taking a dump in his pants.
chai2

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 07:51 am
@chai2,
oh, I almost forgot.

They played the audio of him saying this ****.
The woman who was "interviewing" him (must have been someone from one of those christian shows) was saying "mmm....hmmm mmmm." like "oh yes, I see what you're saying, it's all so clear now", not like "you are one total nut case"

here....I just found the video....doesn't this just make you sick?

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2010/01/pat_robertson_blames_haitian_d.html
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 07:55 am
http://www.nok-benin.co.uk/Imagenok/Toussant_large.jpg

Toussaint l'ouverture and his military genius is the one who freed Haiti from the French.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 08:15 am
@Joe Nation,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just-world_phenomenon

Quote:
The just-world phenomenon, also called the just-world theory, just-world fallacy, just-world effect, or just-world hypothesis, refers to the tendency for people to want to believe that the world is just so strongly that when they witness an otherwise inexplicable injustice they will rationalize it by searching for things that the victim might have done to deserve it. This deflects their anxiety, and lets them continue to believe the world is a just place, but often at the expense of blaming victims for things that were not, objectively, their fault.

Another theory entails the need to protect one's own sense of invulnerability. This inspires people to believe that rape only happens to those who deserve or provoke the assault. This is a way of feeling safer. If the potential victim avoids the behaviors of the past victims then they themselves will remain safe and feel less vulnerable.
Gala

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 08:16 am
@chai2,
Yeah, NPR would play something inflammatory like that in order to piss off people like you and me. That's why I stopped listening to NPR, they've dumbed down what's newsworthy.

At issue are the people buried under rubble, whether they survive and the quality of their lives there after, access to food, water, shelter, medical care.

Pat Roberston is just a plump doughy white Jesus attention freak. NPR ought to tone it down and get back to real news.

Did you benefit from that story form NPR? No, it pissed you off, taking away your energy to really focus on what matters here.
shewolfnm

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 08:23 am
I hope, when he loses someone in his family, when something tragic happens in his life, that there is a person physically close enough to him to lean over and tell him ' the devil did this to you' and then they spit in his face.
DrewDad

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 08:25 am
@Gala,
They also had a pretty good interview with Bill Clinton.
Gala

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 08:26 am
@shewolfnm,
Wow, that's a lot of energy going into something that's not worth yours.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 08:30 am
@DrewDad,
And they would, because they're $#!@% self-congatulatory NPR. Bill Clinton is their darling, although, I admit, I like Bill Clinton and he's way more effective in his post-presidency than as president.

NPR could've just had the Clinton interview and scrapped the pork-boy Pat Robertson, but no, they've moved more and more toward entertainment becuae, whether they admit it or not, they are up against a ratings game.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 08:51 am
It wasn't just NPR, I think all the news outlets were broadcasting his deranged opinions. I have mixed feelings about it. On one hand there are people who take Robertson seriously and I don't think ignoring him will make him, or his followers, go away. By publicizing his hate speech, it makes people more aware of his dark side and less likely to pay attention to him even when he's pretending to be normal. Sometimes you have to give the powerful crazy people a forum to act as their own repellent.
engineer

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 09:17 am
@Green Witch,
Additionally, I think Robertson represents an extreme of a train of thought in the US concerning foreign aid in general and aid to Haiti in particular. Rush has come out saying that "We've already donated to Haiti. It's called the U.S. income tax." I assume that means he is encouraging his listeners not to contribute any further. He has also implied that Obama will try to use the situation to further himself politically. The response differs significantly to when Bush offered help after the Tsunami. I think coverage of this story is pertinent, but not worth a ton of broadcast time.

0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 09:28 am
@DrewDad,
Don't explain it to me. Explain it to Mr. Robertson.

And this wasn't just reported on NPR, I didn't get it from them. I want every news outlet to expose every instance of the American Taliban spewing this kind of babble.

What Mr. Robertson does in his statement is absolve his followers from aiding those in need because, as he apparently really believes, they are in league with the Devil (Another figment of the imagination). Such inhumanity.

Joe(I am not distracted by this, I am able to at least three things at once.)Nation

0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 09:36 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:
"Something happened a long time ago in Haiti, and the people might not want to talk about it. They were under the heel of the French...and they got together and swore a pact to the devil. They said 'We will serve you, if you will get us free from the French.' True story. And so the devil said, 'Okay, it's a deal.' And they kicked the French out -- the Haitians revolted and got themselves free. But ever since they have been cursed by one thing after the other...They need to have and we need to pray for them a great turning to God. And out of this tragedy I'm optimistic something good may come..."
-- Pat Robertson

Pat is one seriously whacked out guy. Always good for a little dose of delusional thinking for the day.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 10:00 am
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:

It wasn't just NPR, I think all the news outlets were broadcasting his deranged opinions. I have mixed feelings about it. On one hand there are people who take Robertson seriously and I don't think ignoring him will make him, or his followers, go away. By publicizing his hate speech, it makes people more aware of his dark side and less likely to pay attention to him even when he's pretending to be normal. Sometimes you have to give the powerful crazy people a forum to act as their own repellent.

Gala, I think GW puts it well here.

I really love NPR, and I'm not going to defend them here. Also, as Joe Nation put it, I can do 3 things at once.
I can be disgusted by this, and still feel for the Haitians and their plight.

I thought that, while many people reacted as I did, thinking Robertson is a lunatic, there are also many, many, many people who listen to him and say "you tell it Rev. you got that right"

Sometimes I need a reminder that these types have an incredible amount of influence in many areas, and we cannot affort to ignore them. They are not just going to go away.

If just a few people, those who thought that Robertson was a direct conduit to God, realized from this latest comment how horrible a person he is, then something good has been accomplished.

Robertson may be a fool, but even the biggest fool has followers, and that can't be ignored.

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 10:08 am
I think we have to account for the possibility that god is just really pissed off at Haiti. Rev. Robertson, in that respect, performed a public service that has added a useful dimension to the national discourse on this subject.
Gala

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 10:35 am
@chai2,
Well, good for Joe if he can juggle his emotions, but I don't want to have to balance between disgust and empathy in this instance. I don't deny myself the value of acknowleging the disgust emotion, however, in this case, it serves no purpose except to take an equally moral high ground in a different direction as PR, which I read as snobbery. It takes away from the empathy, which is a far more valuable in this instance. I don't give a rat's ass about a clueless egomaniacal "Christian", who doesn't give a **** about humanity.

I agree with you about his lunacy and his throng of followers. GW makes a good point about giving nutjobs airtime to help assist them in their own undoing. Nonetheless, the demographic that listens to NPR might be disgusted by what he says, but are they surprised? Probably not. So why bother? Why bother to report a phony Christian nutjob's views when most of the audience listening are a bunch of limosine (not in my backyard) Liberals who will stand up in moral indignation at how correct their views are?

0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 10:36 am
@joefromchicago,
I'm guessing that their are some Buddhists on the island who can't be forgiven, Hatiians must work quickly to convert the Buddhists before it starts raining frogs. I'm also pretty sure James Dobson will arrive soon to defend marriage from the dark skinned queers.
0 Replies