Google days 'Enough' to China.

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 05:24 pm
Google Threatens Pullout From China After E-Mail Accounts Are Hacked

Google threatened to end its operations in China after it discovered that the e-mail accounts of human rights activists had been breached.

The company said it had detected a "highly sophisticated and targeted attack on our corporate infrastructure originating from China." Google says further investigation revealed that "a primary goal of the attackers was accessing the Gmail accounts of Chinese human rights activists." Google did not specifically accuse the Chinese government. But the company added that it is "no longer willing to continue censoring our results" on its Chinese search engine, as the government requires. Google says the decision could force it to shut down its Chinese site and its offices in the country.

Read More:
http://www.nytimes.com?emc=na

More Here:
Google Says Attack From China Was Aimed at Dissidents that
By BY THE NEW YORK TIMES
Google said, in a calm and understated blog post, that it came under cyber attack. It said the attack was very different from previous ones because it was aimed at Chinese dissidents’ Gmail accounts. It said the attacks may result in Google shutting down its operations in China.

Its explanation, posted by David Drummond the company’s chief legal officer, said:

First, this attack was not just on Google. As part of our investigation we have discovered that at least twenty other large companies from a wide range of businesses"including the Internet, finance, technology, media and chemical sectors"have been similarly targeted. We are currently in the process of notifying those companies, and we are also working with the relevant U.S. authorities.

Second, we have evidence to suggest that a primary goal of the attackers was accessing the Gmail accounts of Chinese human rights activists. Based on our investigation to date we believe their attack did not achieve that objective. Only two Gmail accounts appear to have been accessed, and that activity was limited to account information (such as the date the account was created) and subject line, rather than the content of emails themselves.

Third, as part of this investigation but independent of the attack on Google, we have discovered that the accounts of dozens of U.S.-, China- and Europe-based Gmail users who are advocates of human rights in China appear to have been routinely accessed by third parties. These accounts have not been accessed through any security breach at Google, but most likely via phishing scams or malware placed on the users’ computers.
Google said it was going to review its business operations in China in light of the incidents.

We have decided we are no longer willing to continue censoring our results on Google.cn, and so over the next few weeks we will be discussing with the Chinese government the basis on which we could operate an unfiltered search engine within the law, if at all. We recognize that this may well mean having to shut down Google.cn, and potentially our offices in China.
Google also advised its users to take cautionary steps:

We would advise people to deploy reputable anti-virus and anti-spyware programs on their computers, to install patches for their operating systems and to update their web browsers. Always be cautious when clicking on links appearing in instant messages and emails, or when asked to share personal information like passwords online.

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 06:58 pm
Google's market share in China wasn't great, but this is still an bold move that means the attacks must have come from the Chinese government. I hope this announcement (and the end of China-censored search results) puts pressure on human rights and censorship issues in China.

Here is Google's blog post on it:

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/01/new-approach-to-china.html
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 08:27 pm
I think this is really important.
Here is a non-governmental entity with some clout. (how much I really don't know.)

Joe(i just am proud of them thus far)Nation
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 01:12 am
@Joe Nation,
Been hearing about this.

Go Google!!!!!

I hope this may trigger some real reaction in China? I mean, reaction against the censorship.

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 05:29 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
I hope this may trigger some real reaction in China? I mean, reaction against the censorship.

Here is the reaction:

1) Go to baidu.com (the main search engine in China). Try a search just to see how it works.

2) Now search for "google.blogspot.com" and you will become blocked from using the search engine.
JTT

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 06:57 pm
@Robert Gentel,
There's a work camp in your future.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 07:54 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

dlowan wrote:

Here is the reaction:

1) Go to baidu.com (the main search engine in China). Try a search just to see how it works.

2) Now search for "google.blogspot.com" and you will become blocked from using the search engine.

I assume that is the government reaction.

I am wondering, though, if this might mean net users in China become more keen to do something about the government's actions? I am not implying that that would be easy or quick.
Joe Nation

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 08:30 pm
The Chinese will continue to use Baidu, but they won't have any way of knowing what they are missing.

Joe(kind of like when you only listen to your mother)Nation
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 08:58 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
I assume that is the government reaction.

Dunno, I strongly suspect government influence but it's a weird reaction because instead of just censoring the results they actually block you from making any subsequent queries. They completely block you from the site. It's a weird way to do this (more normal would be keep the customer and censor the info), I wonder if it may just be that a bunch of people started doing automated queries to test censorship and they may just be blocking it for that reason. But no matter what, it's some kind of reaction to this story from somebody.
Eorl

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 01:19 am
@Robert Gentel,
I hope they threaten to pull out of Australia too, on account of our planned ISP filtering government censorship.
msolga

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 01:21 am
@Eorl,
Yes.
Good point.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 04:05 am
@Eorl,
Eorl wrote:

I hope they threaten to pull out of Australia too, on account of our planned ISP filtering government censorship.

Yes...what I was thinking.

0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 06:36 am
What's all that about?

Joe(we don't hear nothing in the little town of NYC>)Nation
dlowan

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 07:21 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

What's all that about?

Joe(we don't hear nothing in the little town of NYC>)Nation

http://able2know.org/topic/124169-1

http://able2know.org/topic/139211-1
Eorl

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 07:56 pm
Wow. Google declares war. They are making state banned information like Tiananmen Square protest pics available in China right now!

This is gonna get ugly real fast.
JTT

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 08:00 pm
@Eorl,
Mmmmm, not that I'm complaining, but could this be considered cyber-terrorism?

How are things coming on the homefront, Eorl?
Eorl

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 08:05 pm
@JTT,
There's a work camp in my future too. Maybe even in my present.
JTT

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 08:10 pm
@Eorl,
That's good, Eorl, not good that you're headin' for camp, ... damn what is that sarcasm punctuation again.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 08:37 am
@dlowan,
Fascinating.

Thanks, D
Joe(who is going to censor the censors?)Nation
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2010 09:55 am
http://www.thebigmoney.com/features/todays-business-press/2010/02/04/nsa-working-google-understand-chinese-hacker-intrusion
Google teams up with........the NSA???

Joe(waytogo....wait? What about us?)Nation
0 Replies