Termination of spousal support

jojo15

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 01:43 pm
My ex-husband refused to sign on a life insurance policy, which I am the owner. He said he would only sign it if I signed an agreement terminating his spousal support, which because of a long term marriage of 32 years, was permanent. I signed, but did not want to lose my spousal support. My insurance agent, who erroneously told me he had to sign, was there and faxed it to my ex. Was this signed under duress? (The policy went from term to whole life)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 764 • Replies: 2
No top replies

jespah

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 04:49 am
@jojo15,
Probably not, but see a lawyer.

And, next time, please get your legal advice from an attorney and not an insurance agent, who is out to sell a policy and is not looking out for your best interests.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 07:20 am
@jojo15,
Welcome to A2K. As noted above, you should contact a lawyer ASAP. Most contracts have a period (a few days) where you can change your mind and rescind your decision. Also, if possible, cancel that insurance contract and switch to a repuable agent. Agents get a big commission from policy sales and he had signficant incentive to advise you to sign something to close the deal. I also wonder why, at your age, you are buying a whole life policy. I would think that your life insurance needs are dropping, but that really depends on your personal situation.
0 Replies