Enough already with the "homeland"

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 09:49 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

Oh, the lobster sounds so good, but I am occupied elsewhere tomorrow.

Mebbe you can join Thomas and I for his birthday celebration. Watch your mailbox.

Joe(this will be fun)Nation
I will be on the alert.

David
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 06:37 am
@Gargamel,
Gargamel wrote:

But Joe, "homeland" is so austere, evocative of sturdy hardworking men and their sons herding cattle, or of a Chevy commerical, in which a Silverado is towing some impossibly large boulder.

When you say "the U.S."--well, those sturdy men are suddenly slouching in blue vests at a Wal-Mart entrance. And that Silverado becomes a Cobalt unable to pull out of a strip mall parking lot onto some miserable, congested highway.

To me it's evocative of aggressive hyper-nationalism...it sounds kind of Nazi, or something out of propaganda, designed to get an irrational fervour going.
patiodog

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 06:53 am
@dlowan,
I suspect at least some of the motivation was to distinguish it from "national security." If we didn't have influence and assets planted all over the globe, "national security" would be sufficient.

Or mebbe not, I dunno. I do think it's a creepy choice of word, and I'm sure was rubber stamped if not originated by the propaganda dept. What could replace it? ________ security?
dlowan

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 07:07 am
@patiodog,
patiodog wrote:

I suspect at least some of the motivation was to distinguish it from "national security." If we didn't have influence and assets planted all over the globe, "national security" would be sufficient.

Or mebbe not, I dunno. I do think it's a creepy choice of word, and I'm sure was rubber stamped if not originated by the propaganda dept. What could replace it? ________ security?

For good, or ill?

Ill:

Father or motherland security.

Lebenssafe.

Good?

Dunno.

US Security

0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 07:10 am
You call it Department of "National" Security. DNS.

That other huge, but much littler, organization which spies on the world, the National Security Agency, would henceforth be referred to, as it is most often already, as the NSA. (Or, if you want to get really matrix-centric, The Agency.)

Joe(In the abbreviation rich environment of DC, no one will notice.)Nation
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 07:17 am
I always found it rather odd that the English refer to the agency responsible for internal affairs and policing the Home Office. What, you go there for a nice, hot cuppa when you feel uneasy about the state of the nati0n? A matronly type sits you down at the table in a cramped little cubbyhole of a kitchen, serves you sweet tea and thick slices of bread and butter while lecturing you on your civic responsibilities?
dlowan

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 07:28 am
@Setanta,
Yes.....interesting to know where that name developed from.
0 Replies