Canadian Potato Chips

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 02:38 pm
So my co-worker just told me about when he was younger and growing up in Canada. He told me about how in Canada you can get potato chips that are "All Dress." He then went on to describe them. I guess this is a Canadian thing, but damn... they sound good.

So A2K Cananananananadians, tell me about your beautiful potato chip culture!

T
K
O
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 9,086 • Replies: 36

Setanta

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 02:40 pm
They suck. They also have ketchup flavored potato chips. These people are weird, i'll tell ya . . .
gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 02:46 pm
I remember the Canadian chip with fondness.
djjd62

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 02:48 pm
@Diest TKO,
"all Dressed" or floor sweepings as i call them, are supposed to be a combo of the basic potato chip flavours, they just taste like salt and vinegar chips (my most hated of potato chips) to me
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 02:48 pm
@Setanta,
Wait... You mean if I go to Canada, I don't have to put ketchup on my chips? It's already on there? I hope we start another crap war. This time when I threaten to move to Canada, I'll mean it!

T
K
O
dyslexia

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 02:49 pm
@gustavratzenhofer,
you knew Erik Estrada?
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 03:36 pm
@Diest TKO,
C'mon up Diest and we'll hunt down some of the hard-to-find "Roast Chicken" flavoured chips for you!
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 03:57 pm
What, no bacon flavored chips ?
Years ago, whenever I would tour in Canada with my old band, our bass player would buy ketchips buy the ton, and smuggle them back home. He thought they were a rare delicacy.

He smoked an awful lot of weed.
farmerman

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 04:07 pm
@LionTamerX,
The only wones I recall are the HUMPTY DUMPTY DILL PICKLE CHIPS> On a good day, with nothing to drink and a bag of Humpty-D's Dill Pickle chips, you can actually get high from the overabundance of salt and whatever that **** was to give it the dill pickle flavor.

The Ketchup chips. I bout laughed my ass off at Sets comment. I recall workin the red color off my tee shirt cause I didnt wanna get that red crap on my steering wheel.

IF youre gonna go forth and consume Canadian Tater chips (dont they call em crisps up there?) ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS, ya need a beverage that is able to remove the relict grease from your mouth like a solvent cuts through old varnish.
Im not a big fan if this didnt come through.

Humpty Dumpty chips and SAIL beer (made in Halifax), no greater headache can man suffer. Its worse than a Rheingold and kielbasi sammich headache
Tai Chi

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 04:44 pm
@farmerman,
Farmerman, Humpty Dumpty chips are the crappiest ones made in Canada according to my better half. He's a convert to Herr's (made in Pennsylvania!) and they even have ketchup chips thanks to Heinz.
dadpad

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 04:50 pm
Floor sweepings?

Some Australians angry over idea for kangaroo and emu-flavored potato chips.
Some Australians are hopping mad over a proposed kangaroo and emu-flavored chip, according to Reuters.

Critics say the snack food encourages people to eat the country’s coat of arms, which features the iconic Australian animals.

Smith’s Crisps included the “BBQ Coat of Arms” flavor as a finalist in a contest to find new chip flavors, reports the Sydney Morning Herald.
Other contenders are Caesar salad, late night kebab and buttered popcorn. (The contest winner gets $30,000 plus 1% of the sales revenue, according to the Sydney Morning Herald.)

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle/food/2009/12/05/2009-12-05_some_australians_angry_over_idea_for_kangaroo_and_emuflavored_potato_chips.html#ixzz0c9t8eOoq

Smith’s also said the chip is actually vegetarian: it contains neither emu nor kangaroo. And the Advertising Standards Bureau rejected the complaint on grounds that it did not denigrate Australia and that most people would find it humorous.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle/food/2009/12/05/2009-12-05_some_australians_angry_over_idea_for_kangaroo_and_emuflavored_potato_chips.html#ixzz0c9tQueb3

djjd62

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 05:24 pm
@dadpad,
my theory is they go around the potato chip factory and sweep up the spilled flavourings and use them to make All Dressed Chips
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 05:35 pm
@Diest TKO,
I'm Canadian, but I have nothing to say about potato chips.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 07:58 pm
@Tai Chi,
Herrs chips are made in a big potato chip factory run by small elvish folks who plant and dig the speshul elvish potatoes . They slice them by hand and put them in a big vat of LARD. I dont wanna tell your husband how to take care of hisself but (Im also a cardiac care patient ) Lard is not one the foods that is reccomended by my crack team of dottories. I would wager that his guys would agree with mine.

I love the Herrs baked chips and stay clear away from the Kettle cooked ones that are so finely careed for and sliced ever so thck and fried in the luscious pig fat with spices and secret herbs. The Kettle Cooked Jalepeno XCHip, a must stay away from, Is so crunchy and flavorful that , on my deathbed, Ive told my wife that, if Im a lert and am able to take some nourishment, I will have one bigass dry martini strait up and a big bowl of Herrs Jalepeno CHips amothered in Gramma Utz potato chips.

I will then go off happy, And I wont haunt nobody.

BUT YES Humpty Dumpty do really suck .
Coarse Canadians will eat just about anything. They even put Poutine on their pizza (Pizza Donair is a horrible snack covered with some kind of **** that looks like cheese curds and gravy)
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 08:00 pm
@dadpad,
Australians, I hAve it on good authority, eat mostly sticks and grubs. They dont even have a word in their language for "snack -food"
dadpad

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 08:04 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Australians, I hAve it on good authority, eat mostly sticks and grubs. They dont even have a word in their language for "snack -food"

Dont knock a BBQ'd withcety grub until youve tried it sonny boy.

We do have a word for "snack food"

Pass me some of that American crap will ya Bruce
farmerman

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 08:07 pm
@dadpad,
Very Happy . Thats gourmet American Crap to you bubba.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 10:30 pm
@Diest TKO,
ooooooooh

Canadians do seem kinda well known for the crazy flavoured chips. A couple of years ago, one of the companies had an event where they had two flavours of the month for a year. That was kind of fun - trying to track down all of the different flavours.

PC has some great flavoured chips - Tandoor, Stampede BBQ, Greek Feta ...

I like the Sour Cream and Green Onion by Old Dutch. Old Dutch is my favourite Ontario brand for potato chips (no, we don't call them crisps, we're not British - crisps here are skinny melba toast)
ehBeth

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 10:34 pm
@ehBeth,
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Ysm9sDVZo5g/SjoLOXQ0fHI/AAAAAAAAAYg/zhuLGLOIPRw/s320/pcgreekchips.jpg

http://www.howdoesthattaste.com/2009/06/how-does-that-taste-test-presidents.html

other new flavours - Spicy Piri Piri, Buffalo Wing and Blue Cheese, General Tao's Chicken
ehBeth

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 10:36 pm
@ehBeth,
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ipUKIdQpjFU/SBZIZmXEzZI/AAAAAAAAEQk/uu-qImZn2JM/s400/General+Toa+chips+003.jpg

there's also a Baby Back Rib flavour - one of many I haven't tried

I'm also an occasional fan of Herr's. Set like the plain ones - I'm Canajun, so I'm more likely to look for one of their interesting flavoured kind.