Why can't I install Combat Wings Battle Of Britain on my computer?

easy ed

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 10:56 pm
Had Combat Wings Battle Of Britain installed and working some time ago but uninstalled it. Have recently had computer in for virus removal. Now, when I try to install CWBOB and Combat Wings they both show the following: ERROR: C:\\\\Programfiles\\\\cityinteractive\\\\combatwings-battleofbritain EN\\\\game.exe

an error occured while trying to rename a file in the destination directory:movefile failed, code 5, access is denied.

click retry to try again, ignore (not recommended) or abort to cancel Installation.

However WWII Heroes of the Pacific installs okay.

MY computer specs: HP Pavillion a1110n, 1Ghz RAM, Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 3.06Ghz, Windows XP SP3,ATI Radeon 9250 256Mb.

Thanking you in advance for any assistance you can provide to me.

Ed

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 4,567 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 11:04 pm
@easy ed,
hey ed.

welcome to a2k.

not a computer expert, but I play lots of games. my guess is that it relates to your virus removal experience. I would ask whomever helped you do that about this problem.

good luck.

(there are some computer gurus here somewhere...)
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 08:35 am
@easy ed,

Look at the destination directory. C\programfiles\ something like the game name.

Are there any files in it? Check to see if there may be hidden files.
I suspect when the game was deleted some files remained or registry entries were not deleted.
It may be that the file(s) still on your hard drive have been updated and the disc copies are now out of date

I'm no expert either but that error message is telling me there is a file there that needs to be not there.
Go to ad remove programs and see if the game is still listed remove it if possible.
Go to the games website and ask for tech help. They may have a special removal proceedure or downloadable file for removal.
go to C\program files/cityinteractive/combatwings-battleofbritain EN. If any files are present delete them then delete the folders associated with the game.

You may need to re start in safemode to delete files if they are protected or read only types.
If all else fails google the error message and see what turns up but dont necessarlily believe the first answer you see have a look at as many sites and answers as possible

Googling the error message turned up this gem.

Quote:
I got a Pc dvd game i got at best buy called combat wings battle of britain with two bonus games on it.one was www2 pacific heroes the other one was combat wings which has the virus on it its called generic.dx ( Trojan). my McAfee virus scan got it and would not download it

http://www.fixya.com/support/t1659928-trojan_virus_from_dvd_bought_best_buy
scoll down and see the responses.
commonly known as a false positive. If this is the problem you will need to adjust your Antivirus program.
0 Replies