Stay out of Yemen!

BillRM

Reply Sun 3 Jan, 2010 08:34 pm
@dardardit,
Quote:
their are to EU, states that have the bomb. End of story there.
Dardardit,

It not that simple my friend as the small nuclear forces under European ownership would just get them destroy without doing any great harm to the USSR if they was used.

All of Europe have nothing to compare to the military forces of the USSR and in fact both the US forces and the NATO forces defending Europe might not have been able to hold and their safety depend on American large nuclear forces and the willingness of the US to take part in a nuclear war to defend Europe.

Having small nuclear forces and using it on your own land mass would ruin you and not the USSR as the USSR might had lost a few major cities to the French and English nuclear forces but to pull that switch knowing that the USSR would then wipe out every one of your major cities and you could not do the same thing to him without the US aid, would not be a position I would like to be in.

None of the above is a secret and you can find the situation explain in details by many military experts.

0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 3 Jan, 2010 09:20 pm
The more I think about the common opinion that nuclear weapons are somehow magic and having a few of them is the end of your problems the more amaze I am.

The Europeans nuclear forces are there as a matter of national pride not as a mean to defend themselves alone from the former USSR.

Israel have as many nuclear weapons by reports as France does and she had have a number of wars that she was not always winning at the start and yet she had never reach for the nuclear switch and for good reasons. Second her neighbors are aware of her nuclear forces and they still did attack her.

If she had gone nuclear the USSR might indeed had wipe her off the map of the world and I question if she was the first user if we would have gotten involved.

Her weapons are there if she ever had her back completely to the wall and no way out with neighbors who are as likely as not to build their own death camps if they had a chance.

In the case of Europeans, as I had said in my last posting using small nuclear weapons target at military targets on your own soil will ruin you faster then the enemy can and using your small nuclear force to attack some of his population centers will just bring overwhelming hell down on all your major population centers and even most of your secondary population centers as well.

Without American backing I would bet the former Soviet leadership would assume that Europe would prefer to be defected then turn to a nuclear option that would be complete suicide for themselves and I would assume they would be right also.

0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 12:19 am
I got deported from Yemen!

I'm not going back.

It's the arsehole of the universe!
msolga

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 04:53 am
@margo,
Quote:

Really?

Goodness me, what for?
dardardit

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 08:21 am
@margo,
Hi margo,
I got deported from Burma, for pissing off a customs officer. I short changed him $10 us.
I was not really planing on staying very long, I'd got the small long boat from Runung, Thailand, and couldn't carry my bicycle on the boat with me because the boat was full of people. So I left my Bike on the Thai, side of the river with the owner of the boat. I was to wait for the owner to put my bike on the next boat.
After being told by a very angry little man to YOU GO BACK TO THAILAND!
All I was worried about was is he going to shoot me? And am I going to pass my bicycle going past me to Burma, in a long boat as I return to Thailand.
It didn't and every thing was OK.
You got deported from Yemen. That may be an interesting travel story.
So tell.
Dardardit,
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 02:53 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Quote:

Really?

Goodness me, what for?

Well, Olga - as you know - I'm a fairly sinister character - female, white, middle aged, overweight, awkward. I was an obvious threat to the national well-being of Yemen.

I arrived from the Maldives, by sailing ship, without a visa (no Yemeni embassy in Oz at that time). I only wanted to stay overnight and fly home the next day. No visa - no stay!

They threatened to impound the boat I came in on - so the skipper had to take me back on board. Next stop - Cairo.

Why on earth would they think I wanted to stay in their hellhole for any longer than absolutely necessary? It really was the most appalling place.
msolga

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 03:07 am
@margo,
Quote:
as you know - I'm a fairly sinister character

Yes, yes, I do indeed I know this! Razz

Quote:
I arrived from the Maldives, by sailing ship, without a visa (no Yemeni embassy in Oz at that time). I only wanted to stay overnight and fly home the next day. No visa - no stay!

They threatened to impound the boat I came in on - so the skipper had to take me back on board. Next stop - Cairo.

What a drama! For you & everyone else on the ship, margo!

Did anyone, who actually wanted to embark at Yemen, express any untoward anger toward you? Potentially a very unpleasant incident!

margo

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 03:18 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Did anyone, who actually wanted to embark at Yemen, express any untoward anger toward you? Potentially a very unpleasant incident!

No-one in his/her right mind would want to embark in Yemen.

A couple of Murricans on board weren't allowed to leave the ship!
msolga

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 03:24 am
@margo,
Sounds like the best possible outcome for all on board, margo.
I suspect all the other passengers might have actually been grateful to you that the stop was cut so tragically short!
0 Replies