Number 85 - To see a tree asmiling.

Stradee

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 08:48 am
@High Seas,
Definitely not Tuscany, but beautiful just the same.

Have a very Happy New Year, HS. Very Happy
0 Replies

teenyboone

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 07:24 pm
@Stradee,
Happy New Year and a belated Merry Christmas to All!
On Christmas Day at about 12 Noon, the snow began to fall. All
Total, we got over 30 inches on the Jersey Shore! With it being a holiday,
I was in no hurry to get anywhere! I didn't emerge from this apartment from Saturday through Wednesday! I have been out but the roads were still treacherous here. If you are of a certain age, you tend to shop in the Fall as the squirrels gather nuts!

I had everything one could possibly want from soup to nuts with the holiday food! I had a cocktail or 3 on New Years and had a great time escaping out of here! Hope all of you had a great holiday as well. Oh yeah, I'm still clicking! Embarrassed
danon5

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 09:47 pm
@teenyboone,
Thanks teeny, good to see ya again and great clicking....... We need it to save more trees and make em asmiling. I always think of you when I see not so good weather reports in your area.

danon5

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 09:50 pm
@High Seas,
Hi High Seas, I too am a believer in good people - nice to see the clans can agree on something!! Thanks for dropping by - we always enjoy you.

0 Replies

danon5

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 09:56 pm
@Stradee,
Stradee, interesting post....... imho you may rant anytime you want. I was just thinking last night about invading Mex again. We had no excuse to do that in 1849 - and look what it got us!! Grin

I've solved my NY's resolution problem = Always in the past I would try for something silly like losing weight and it always happened that I would gain weight. Sooooo, this year I'm telling myself that I'm going to GAIN weight --- so, maybe I will actually lose some weight. Ahh well, sounds good anyway.

sumac

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 09:47 am
Finished my multiple clicking and still don't know why care2 is letting me click so many times, but I'm doing it. Glad to see you Teeny. I* too thought of you during the snow storm. We miss you.
sumac

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 10:47 am
January 2, 2011

Endangered Predator

Large, oceangoing commercial fish like tuna and swordfish have been in steady decline for years, victims of poor regulation and rapacious overfishing by big industrial fleets. But one relentlessly hunted fish — sharks — may finally be catching a break.

Each year, commercial and recreational fishing kills more than 100 million sharks globally (the number of humans killed by sharks in 2008: four). Of these, an estimated 73 million are slaughtered solely for their fins to provide the shark fin soup that is so popular in Asia. The fins are sliced off and the sharks dumped back in the water; unable to swim, they sink to the bottom and die.

A 2000 law banned finning off the Atlantic Coast and in the Gulf of Mexico. Last month, Congress approved a bill prohibiting shark finning in all United States waters. It requires boats to bring sharks to port with the fins attached. This limits each vessel’s catch, since a whole shark takes up a lot more room than the fins alone.

The bill’s immediate impact on the global market will be modest. But it gives the United States credibility to push other big fishing nations to follow its lead.

In November, an international commission banned fishing for whitetip sharks and six types of hammerheads. True to form, the commission waited until the fish were at death’s door before acting. The whitetips have declined by 99 percent in the Gulf of Mexico and the Mediterranean, and hammerheads by 99 percent in the Mediterranean.

Sharks have been around for 400 million years, and as top predators in the food chain have played an important role in the complex web of ocean life. Fully one-third of about 1,000 shark and ray species are thought to be in serious trouble or nearing extinction. Any help they can get is good news for the entire ecosystem.
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 12:51 pm
@sumac,
Hi sumac, yeah, I noticed the ability to "click" multiple times but I am convinced that the first click each day is the only one that actually counts per person (ID'd by your computer number). So, don't waste too much extra time doing what I think are "blank" clicks. Maybe you could ask ehBeth - she still (I believe) has contact with the managers of the Care2 site.

It would be nice to be able to sit here and click for trees all day long. But we together save at least two or maybe three trees per day - as a team.

Thanks for the clicks all.......

danon5

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 10:39 am
@danon5,
This is the first Tuesday in the year 2011 - there won't be another first Tuesday per year for another year. Interesting huh??
I love trivial........... My most favorite is trivial procrastination. I'd explain further - but maybe some other time - a bit later.

Thanks for all the help in making a tree asmiling everyone.

0 Replies

teenyboone

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 06:27 am
@danon5,
Thank you! Around mid-November, I fell ill with a virus that soon made its'
visit to me. I'm still getting over a lingering sinus problem. Speaking of trees, all
of the pear trees on our main thoroughfare downtown were removed! No matter, they were only 25-30 years old, without any input from the public, they
were removed because the City received some federal funding but instead of
using it where it mattered, (the people), whoever brainstormed removal has left
that area looking like a bombed out post Japan!

The council was voted in last April with just a marginal lead over anyone else that ran. In other words they made it back in by the skin of their teeth. You get what you vote for! These are the same people that blasted Michael Vick for his treatment of animals but aren't "tree huggers" as I am and the same for animals.

Just making a comparison. Stimulus funds were also awarded to the City for
improvement to an area where low or no income residents live.
That too, was a major disaster, leaving huge piles of asbestos rubble in
what they see as the "ghetto"! A huge outcry went up from the people for
not only contaminating their lungs, but that no minorities were hired.
Can you spell "special interests"? The money went to a no-bid contractor
from out of our county and every connecting road was dug up, leaving businesses there almost bankrupt. No traffic, no business!

Anyway, besides being sick and powerless, I saw huge change looming in the
form of a hard-nosed Republican in Trenton. Should I name him? I think you already know who I mean. He hates teachers and any bargained for worker here in NJ, including police and firemen. Today the Republicans retake Congress and boy, are we in for it. The only solution I see is for
Democrats, Independents and others to stand up for ourselves, else we're
in for things worse than Bush! Happy New Year!
danon5

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 08:45 am
@teenyboone,
Good Morning teeny, I hate to hear about your health problems - wishing and hoping for the best for you.
I know what you mean about the newly elected people going to the Hill. We have a few down here in TX. They all have innocent and grandeous opinions about all the problems facing us - but, will soon find out the real problem - getting something worthwhile actually done that will benefit the public. I love the saying by someone in the past = "If you want a friend in Washington DC, get a dog."

Thanks for clicking. It's a nice feeling to click knowing there will be a tree saved that would not have otherwise.

0 Replies

sumac

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 10:00 am
All clicking done on this gray day.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 04:53 pm
@danon5,
No kidding! laughing

A friend of mine lives in NM in Chapparelle...and can't believe what goes on just a few miles away from her in Juarez. Nasty stuff. Her and her son see dogs laying on the side of the road dropped by thugs after the dog was either so horribly torn up at an 'amusement' dog fight, or the animal was used as a bait dog. There arn't enough animal control officers to keep up with the carnage, but they try.

"Cruelty to animals is one of the distinquishing vices of the low and base minds. Wherever it is found, it is a certain mark of ignorance and meanness; a mark which all the external advantages of wealth splendour, and nobility cannot obliterate. It is consistent neither with learning nor true civility"

~ William Jones, English Philogoist and Jurist ~

###

My NY's resolution is not having one. Like you, when i say 'i'm going to lose weight, or quit smoking (again)" somehow i never manage to. So i'm gonna say "Happy New Year ~ and may all your wishes and hopes come true"

Hi Teeny, sue, and HS. Smile The same to you and yours...may the New Year be your best ever. Very Happy

danon5

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2011 09:19 pm
@Stradee,
Thanks Stradee, it's Thors' Day and not many people know why........

Thanks for staying in and clicking - you have saved a tree today.

Thanks to all Wildclickers for saving a tree today.

(How's that for starting sentences??)

Ahh, Well, so the story goes = "How's it going?" --- "So far, so good!"

danon5

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2011 09:04 am
@danon5,
Hi everyone - my mouse is tired and about worn out from clicking to save trees. But, I'll nurse it along and we will still keep saving a tree a day.

Have a happy and healthy weekend all great clickers!!

0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 09:51 am
The Silent Treatment

A man and his wife were having some problems at home
and were giving each other the silent treatment.
Suddenly, the man realized that the next day, he would need his wife to wake him
at 5:00 AM for an early morning business flight.
Not wanting to be the first to break the silence (and LOSE), he wrote on a piece of paper,
'Please wake me at 5:00 AM.' He left it where he knew she would find it.
The next morning, the man woke up, only to discover it was 9:00 AM and he had missed his flight. Furious, he was about to go and see why his wife hadn't wakened him,
when he noticed a piece of paper by the bed.
The paper said, 'It is 5:00 AM. Wake up..'

Men are not equipped for these kinds of contests.
danon5

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 10:49 am
@sumac,
I agree, I learned long ago to say, "Yes, Dear."

Happy clicking all.....................

0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 06:57 pm
@danon5,
You're so sweet, dan, thanks.

Truth is, i'm so lax with computer stuff lately, not visiting as often.

Keep up the good work wildclickers wheather clicking at care2 or working with other advocacy pages...you all are terrific!

The weather today is very strange...clear and sunny then foggy, and now freezing cold! Feeling weather moody...the cats are outdoors one minute then indoors the next...and me feetsies are frozen from gathering babies.

The New Years' starting off with a sneeze. Smile

Thors Day...http://www.sacred-texts.com/time/smd/smd20.htm
Stradee

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 07:01 pm
@sumac,
No they are not...very funny btw. Very Happy

0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 07:32 am
We are awaiting a storm for tomorrow. Should be a mild one but has the potential of turning north and going up the coast as a nor'easter.