Number 85 - To see a tree asmiling.

Stradee

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 10:40 am
@sumac,
The state bought a good deal of wetlands for restoration along the San Francisco Pennsula, but there's one hold out. Salt company refuses to sell to the state, can get more money from developers, and now the folks who live near the bay in Redwood City are fighting the city councel to block the building of 3000 houses. What a mess. Highway 101 is so jammed with traffic daily, more houses and the destruction of wetlands is just not a good idea. So the deals tied up in protests and courts. Not to mention fooding during the rainy season, the houses will be built on land fill.

Dan, i'm not sure you recall Foster City in San Mateo County? Built on landfill, the project was great for people keeping boats moored off their decks, only problem now is, the water (which cannot be contained) is playing havoc with bayside structures. Good thing they have boats.

All constructed on the San Andreas...

Hi Alex! Happy St Paddy's to you too!

http://rainforest.care2.com/i?p=583091674

danon5

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 08:11 pm
@Stradee,
I've driven through there and San Mateo, but never stopped long enough to go exploring. That whole area is really unique. I liked the San Jose area for it's junking and site-seeing.

All clicked for a tree asmilin.........

Stradee

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 12:28 pm
@danon5,
Tis a fabulous place, and soooooooo many people live or are moving to the area. The changes phenominal, and family who still reside there are amazed.

Visiting is a trip. Four hours from my house to SF one way...then dealing with traffic...although i smile because you can take the girl outta the city, etc.

danon5

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 05:15 pm
@Stradee,
Yeah, I understand that - having been to the area many many many times over the years. Wow. It's a place to be fond of forever.

Yep, another tree's asmiling!!!!!!!!

hehehe, how's THAT for English???

((I did pass English in High School --- although, I don't quite know how that happened.))

Lucky I guess.

danon5

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 10:50 am
@danon5,
Yeah, that was darn lucky to have passed "English". Because, I had two strikes against me to start with. First, I didn't "speak" "English" - I spoke "American English" - sort of. Second, I grew up in Texas. Geeese!! It's a wonder we can communicate at all. Big A Grin!!!

You guys click your A's off for another tree asmiling.

Thank you and I will try my best to keep the prepositions where they belong. It's not easy ya know.

Stradee

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 07:00 pm
@danon5,
Weathers perfect today! 70's w/ no wind!

Should be nice for the rest of the week...Very Happy

Who speaks English? LOL On a good day words are challenging...spelling? more LOL...ask HOFT. A wonder anyone could read my threads at Abuzz.

Not to worry dan, we know what you're saying (most of the time) Smile

What a georgous day! Still sunny and warm, windows opened, a good amount of gardening done, and tomorrows another day. wuuuhuuu

http://rainforest.care2.com/i?p=583091674
danon5

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 10:50 am
@Stradee,
Well, it's a Sat day down here in TX - storms acommin - snow maybe - somebody said it's Spring??? I just went over to the other houses and put some heat back on inside so the pipes don't burst. Or, is it bust? hehehe You can guess how I was raised.

Creaaaaaacked here.

Stradee

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 01:49 pm
@danon5,
Chillier today, but still nice.

Today measuring. Picking up decorative rocks Monday...don't know what the heck happened to most of them...could be the leaf blower...or sinkage (is that a word?) or whatever. Moved finch feeder...thems messy critters...pine soled n' amoni ed the deck, walkways, and next month...paint.

Should shed winter coat by May. Very Happy

0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 07:30 pm
@Stradee,
Hey, I saw that! You're being ultra-modest as usual: all I ever did for you was re-post a couple of links to articles and pictures, and never once did I have a problem understanding what you (or Danon) were saying. Anyway, reading French news (ours are so overrun with politics you can't find out what's happening outside DC) I discovered our sun went on strike 7 years ago - these are NASA photographs, but I didn't see them on our general media:
http://www.lefigaro.fr/medias/2010/01/16/20100116PHOWWW00019.jpg
http://www.lefigaro.fr/sciences-technologies/2010/01/16/01030-20100116ARTFIG00022--l-etrange-panne-du-soleil-.php
(pic on left taken early 2002, pic on right earlier this year: solar flares are down to zero, so our planet is getting colder until the flares come back).
ehBeth

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 07:37 pm
@High Seas,
Interesting stuff.

I need to remember to post when I come to this thread to read along.

Happy Earthturn to all of the Wildclickers and the ones they love.

First day of Spring in this part of the world tomorrow.

Will it be unseasonably warm and sunny - like yesterday? Or bright and cool with snow flurries like today?
Stradee

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 10:28 pm
@High Seas,
LOL, yep, but i recall it all differently. Remember dear heart, you were the person who allowed the Pollan article to continue before its expiration date, so i could begin a thread with the "Power Steer" heading and magazine link. A beginnner of all things net...you taught me how to copy/paste!!! Very Happy And yep, my spelling was atrocious till you directed me to a thingy called "spell check". Didn't recall your not understanding though.
Thanks you Ms Hoft for being.

The NASA photos fantastic! Seems the sun had a bit if indigestion, a few hiccups and alls well again. Whew! Spring just wouldn't be the same. Smile
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 10:33 pm
@ehBeth,
Happy earthturn to you too Beth, Hoft, Dan, Sue, Alex, and all ~

Spring has definitely sprung in this neck of the woods, but today was mostly cloudy and cooler. Tomorrow clouds, then for the rest of the week, sunshine. We should have more rain, but the plants are dressing for the season. So cool!

Good evening all ~
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 07:59 am
Good morning to all and happy spring. Hit 77 here yesterday and in the low 70's today with some spring showers due overnight. Don't mind this weather a bit.

Danon - just how many houses are you tending and why don't they have people in them. Don't give me any homestead crap where you just let it deteriorate through non using it.
danon5

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 10:35 am
@sumac,
Lost that posting to the ether.
Hi sumac, (again)
I have two houses and a barn - the small house (3 bdrm) is used for storage of stuff - Patti and I were serious junkers when we could travel. The larger house needs a lot of foundation work which I do when I can. Both are heated when its cold and wet and the smaller one I just replaced the shingles on so they are ok.

Hoft, Hi (again) I really like the sun pics. It's not surprising that the first one was during the beginning of the Bush era.

I forgot the last part of the post. Oh, well.

Thanks everyone for clicking - and yes, ehBeth, we all miss your posts. I can count them - One, Two, Three, Etc............

Stradee

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 04:00 pm
@danon5,
Lots of work taking care of one house, Dan. Don't know how you do it all!

Through for the day...tomorrow visiting the quarry and Home Depot.

Nap time...

danon5

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 08:00 am
@Stradee,
Good Monday Morning all - Happy clicking!!

Stradee, those two houses are additional to the one we live in. Here's a shot of the "Big" house I built and a shot of me working on it (about 14yrs ago).
http://s10b.directupload.net/images/100322/kqt7m7ff.jpg

http://s8b.directupload.net/images/100322/a54b5eos.jpg

sumac

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 08:35 am
Very impressive, Dan. But why are they empty?
danon5

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 03:01 pm
@sumac,
I lost a lotta explanation to the ethernet. The little house is used to store crap we have collected over the years. And most of my tools. The larger house that my mom lived in and I grew up in is in need of foundation repair. I'm ripping up the floorboards a room at a time and releveling the floor and replacing the floor joists with new treated boards. And redoing the electrical wiring in about half the house. It's old and it's not well. It still has the old cloth covered wire and the cloth covering is rotting off. So, I'm doing what I can, when I can to repair it. I'm in no hurry.
And the barn still is full of junk from my youth - like the old standup radio that used to be about 10ft tall - but is now about 2.5ft tall. Stuff like that. My brother is storing a lot of old automobile engines there. Oh, and theres the tractor and all it's attachments. I've also stored my old Chrysler Le Baron Convertable - just because I want to keep it. It's in super shape. My brother wants to store his 1955 Chevy there also. Ok by me.

I guess that's why both houses are unoccupied. They are both being used for other things.

Happy clicking trails all.

High Seas

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 03:11 pm
@danon5,
My dad had a 1955 Chevy - that car never had a problem when we went hunting, climbing hills way off-road, fording shallow streams, and generally driving around loaded with persons, Huskies, one or 2 dead wildboars we had shot, and all our luggage, through blizzards and over great distances.

Something happened to Chevrolet cars since then - you can barely drive their new models gingerly to the freeway in good weather before they expire on you. I don't like to say this but I worry that whatever happened to those cars may have happened to the whole country - though I do try to keep a positive outlook, and hope to god we'll make good with our electronics http://able2know.org/topic/142860-1#post-3937061 Smile
Stradee

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 04:45 pm
@danon5,
Recall your posting pics and explaining the hows and wheres, and still marvel at he way you managed everything with no help!!!

And there's our dan (in coveralls no less) smiling at your Patti.

A very nice house, dan.

So ya all have two more houses and a barn for storage, and i hope you and Patti have lots of kids to share collected treasures with. Or you could open your very own antiques 'barn'! How fun!!!

When mom was ill, i managed taking care of her and her house, plus taking care of me and my house. Now, a house, me and and acre seem a tad overwhelming. A neighbor suggested i don't do anything till April. She may be correct.

Reading and napping for the duration of the day.

0 Replies