Just say someone had no clue about popular music from the last 15 or so years & they asked you ....

msolga

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2009 05:36 pm
.... to fill them in on the big gaps in their knowledge & enjoyment?

What would you tell them was worth listening to?
What would you say were the "not to be missed or ignored" music trends during this period?
What would you say were your very favourite musicians during this time? Why so?(mainstream or obscure, whichever you really liked)

I ask because, for some unknown reason, I just lost the thread, switched off, stopped listening around 15 (maybe a bit more) years ago. Dunno why exactly, but that's what happened. Prior to this I LOVED music. Everything about it. Used rush out & buy music I'd never heard of, on the basis of enthusiastic reviews in places like NME & long before that, Rolling Stone, etc ... (must say, I acquired quite a bit of crap as a result, but never mind ...)

Recently I heard a very funny conversation between two comedians on ABC radio, talking about when one realizes one had actually become old. One suggested the moment was when you actually believed that all the good music had actually happened (in your own heyday, of course! Wink ) and there was nothing new remotely interesting to be listened to ever again! Perhaps that's it?

Anyway, I've recently had a really great time YouTubing (since changing to broadband, at long last! Hooray!), catching up on old favourites ... but I now think a catch-up is in order ..

So, I'd be delighted if some of you pointed me in the right direction/s .. Like, what's been going on, man? Confused Very Happy

It'd be good to have a little explanation, even one line or so will do, about the music you've selected. Why this particular choice?

Thanks in advance! Let's see what you come up with.

No rush. Take your time, OK? Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 6,562 • Replies: 83

msolga

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2009 05:59 pm
@msolga,
A thought: 15 years is a bit messy, isn't it?
So let's say, since 1990.
msolga

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2009 06:21 pm
@msolga,
Hmmmm Eleven peekers, no posters yet.

That's, OK. Such a question needs thinking time!

But tell you what. If no one posts within 24 hours, I'm gonna use this thread to post old favourites. Then you'll be very, very sorry, I promise you! Razz
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2009 06:28 pm
@msolga,
Hmm I actually "switched off" myself as well, but not 15 years ago (more like 7) so if you want 90's let me know as that's right around when you checked out.

If you had to do 90's in a nutshell I'd go with Nirvana and Pearl Jam myself, but that was really the last time I liked a lot of the music coming out and there's a lot more there that I liked.
msolga

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2009 06:34 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Hooray, a poster! Thanks, Robert.

I wonder why this switching off happened? Mine happened sometime after REM ... Then I just continued on my merry way with firm favourites, like Elvis Costello, Ry Cooder, etc .... this period is a total blank. Neutral

Yes, 1990s would be good.

(When you have a minute) care to post personal Nirvana and Pearl Jam favourites? I'd like that.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2009 06:36 pm
@msolga,
that's about the time I switched to country music.

we won't get into why, but she was blonde...
msolga

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2009 06:42 pm
@Rockhead,
Interesting, Rocky.

More information is most welcome! Smile
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2009 06:48 pm
@msolga,
I think I might have made the task too difficult.

How about if I change it to your personal favourite music from this period? That might sound a bit less like work, or you're preparing a music seminar, or something! Wink
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2009 06:53 pm
@Rockhead,
Quelle coincidence! In high school (1986-1990), my mother would listen to conservative talk radio or country. Both, I couldn't stand. Pop country music of the '80's was too synthesizer heavy. Loved synthesizer in top 40 pop but despised it's illicit marriage with country.

After my move to Fort Hood in 1991, I began to appreciate country music in what was called the Country Music Renaissance: Dwight Yoakam, Brooks and Dunn, Lyle Lovett, Vince Gill, Trisha Yearwood, The Mavericks, etc....

Also I finally got the courage to start buying classical music CD's from the likes of Kronos Quartet, Yo Yo Ma, Astor Piazzolla, Philip Glass, et al....
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2009 06:54 pm
@tsarstepan,
Also, I found the delight that is the trumpeteer Wynton Marsalis! Very Happy
msolga

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2009 06:54 pm
@tsarstepan,
Youtube, Youtube, tsar!

Post some, please! Smile
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2009 06:55 pm
@tsarstepan,
Ah yes! Smile
Rockhead

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2009 07:00 pm
@msolga,
mr yoakum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knroQ2GjKdY&feature=related
msolga

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2009 07:06 pm
@Rockhead,
Yay, a music clip at last!

Thanks Rocky.

Yee ha!

I take it you switched off from mainstream popular music, too? Interesting, interesting ...
Rockhead

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2009 07:12 pm
@msolga,
cain't say as I was ever a big fan of mainstream anything, really.

most pop music is crappo in my ears.

lyle lovett
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-_W18CWypE
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2009 07:15 pm
@msolga,
The Mavericks and Oh What A Crying Shame
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNekTaLAIv8&feature=fvw

Great DY song there Rockhead!

msolga the early 90's is when country music started to creep onto the pop charts in the US unfortunately culminating into the monstrosities that were say ... pop artists like Shania Twain and the latest hideous pop-country hybrid beast Taylor Swift!
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2009 07:18 pm
@tsarstepan,
My favorite singer/songwriter Mary Chapin Carpenter and down at the twist and shout

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaRrVqBhfYg
boomerang

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2009 07:20 pm
Here's a song I've been liking lately:

This is really just my bookmark. I'll be back.

I don't buy a lot of records anymore because it seems like I'll only like a couple of cuts and the rest are a waste of money. iPod is the way to go. There's a few people I will still buy though.... I'll come back and post some of their music when I get a sec....
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2009 07:21 pm
@Robert Gentel,
The Seattle Grunge Scene! Loved that too with Alice and Chains, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, etc....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWkbFKJZB0k
msolga

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2009 07:24 pm
@Rockhead,
Nice. Smile

Quote:
cain't say as I was ever a big fan of mainstream anything, really.

most pop music is crappo in my ears.

Some of it is, sure, Rocky. But then it always was, I guess ...

I was more interested in music trends, though, rather than a catch-up on really, really commercial music. What were people listening to when I stopped listening. Mainstream, obscure, cult, whatever ...

Having spent years & years of my life with adolescents, I really miss hearing what they're listening to, though ... now that everyone has their own special compilation buzzing exclusively into their own ears. Not that long ago, in the art room, we'd all listen to the same music, courtesy of a nice, big radio. Or disks that they'd bring in. Caused a few disputes about which music was "crap" & which wasn't, but I enjoyed listening & learned a lot. These damned ipods are anti-social, if you ask me! Wink
0 Replies