Just say someone had no clue about popular music from the last 15 or so years & they asked you ....

panzade

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2009 06:52 pm
flip to page 4
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2009 06:53 pm
whew
msolga

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2009 06:57 pm
@panzade,
Quote:
man, this page totally locked up my computer...lol

I know, panzade!

This is a very heavy page, man! In all ways! Razz

I open it with trepidation!

Thanks Jespah, for your posts. I am making my way through them .. with great care! Very Happy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2009 06:59 pm
@panzade,
It tried to knock mine out too..
That sometimes happens when I'm flipping around sportswebsites, only worse. Can't put the cursor on the football field in CBS game tracker, for example or it starts shimmying, or doing some endless twirl.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2009 07:01 pm
@panzade,
ima sneak in before it loads up, meself...

Sheryl Crow was a 90's phenomenon.

run, baby, run
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JoXkVN6xYs&feature=related

Tuesday Night Music Club ~ 1993
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2009 07:03 pm
By the way, thank you again, all! This has been terrific! I still have a way to go, though ...

Really enjoying this musical time warp! Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 05:41 am
@Robert Gentel,
Page 3 revisited:

I found I had no problems listening & watching tonight. The trick is to manually stop/exit from each video clip when you've finished watching it & make absolutely sure it has stopped. They keep trying to start again, little devils!

I've taken my time, and listened a bit more patiently. It's going to take a while, at this rate, to get through the lot. But what the heck.

(Working my way through) I've reached 1996 in Robert's selection. Some very intense tracks here. (I confess I'm rather partial to the intense! Smile ) But a lot I'd describe as "uplifting" or joyful, even. I've been quite intrigued by quite a few of them ... So far, there's not one track I haven't been really impressed by/liked by Pearl Jam. Quite a band! I think a bit more checking out on YouTube will be necessary. Also, the lyrics are obviously very important & required pretty intense concentration. But I'm quite taken with Pearl Jam, definitely!

I like the Cranberries a lot, too! More follow-up, I'm certain. Other tracks which appealed (though most were pretty good.) : Fake Plastic Trees (Radiohead), the two Green Day tracks (love those driving guitars!) & the singer from Hootie and the Blowfish! What a voice!' I was rather surprised to when Oasis appeared (probably because I associate them with public bickering & media hype. Wink ) But yes, Wonderwall is a very good song!

OK, back for my next my next blast tomorrow & after ...

By the way, just because I started this thread doesn't mean (of course) that I'm the only one who can comment on any aspect of the music. This could get somewhat boring, too! No, please feel free to comment on any aspect of the music, the musicians, culture of the time, whatever .... rave on to your heart's content if you like. I'm all ears.

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2009 06:25 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
So far, there's not one track I haven't been really impressed by/liked by Pearl Jam. Quite a band!

Yeah, there aren't many bands who have more songs that I like than Pearl Jam (off the top of my head maybe just the Beatles). The first 4 songs I posted are all from the same album, and I even had to skip some other famous songs from the album just because there was too much Pearl Jam. But it's one of the best albums (it's called "Ten") of the 90's and one of less than 5 albums I've ever heard where I like every single song.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2009 06:26 pm
@boomerang,
I've never heard of them. That song didn't do it for me, but which of my picks reminded you of them?
boomerang

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2009 07:18 pm
@Robert Gentel,
The grunge stuff you liked reminded me of them. They were one of the pioneer grunge groups.
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2009 08:07 pm
@boomerang,
I'm gonna look at their discography and listen to them on grooveshark. I'm very picky with music but am always willing to try to find the few pieces I will add to my library this year, so thanks for the recommendation!
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2009 08:32 pm
My ten year old daughter showed me this recent music video. It shows how much popular music has changed.

msolga

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 07:21 pm
@wandeljw,
I would have been interested to see what 10 year olds are listening to/watching, wandel, but the video has been "blocked" in my country (oz) , because it contains "content from Vevo", apparently. I have no idea of what any of this means, but never mind. Confused

Still making my way through the music collection here. With loads of interruptions!
Rockhead

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 07:24 pm
@msolga,
here, MsO...

ting tings
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0e9GuYRqKA

Rolling Eyes
msolga

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 07:31 pm
@Rockhead,
Ha, Rocky! Smile

And thanks for that.

I reckon that's pretty advanced for 10 year olds, though ...
God knows what I was listening to at that age. Nothing quite so sophisticated, I'm sure! Very Happy
wandeljw

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 08:06 pm
@msolga,
Thanks, Rockhead.

I am sorry you were unable to see the version that I posted, Msolga. The video features the girl who sings the song. She is very cute.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 08:06 pm
WHITE STRIPES and the genius that is Jack White:
My Doorbell (2005)
http://www.youtube.com/user/whitestripes?blend=1&ob=4#p/u/11/IlcMRq3gb1s

You Don't Know What Love Is (You Just Do As You're Told) (2007)
http://www.youtube.com/user/whitestripes?blend=1&ob=4#p/u/10/8xsF9fHdAfo
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 08:11 pm
@tsarstepan,
Maybe Sparrow (2006) by Neko Case:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qclxx4uO0ac
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 08:14 pm
@tsarstepan,
French Navy by (2009) Camera Obscura:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3CkfvYMCWM
msolga