Want is keenly felt, and Abundance rejoices . . .

Setanta

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 02:05 pm
We choose this time, because it is a time, of all others, when Want is keenly felt, and Abundance rejoices.

``At this festive season of the year, Mr Scrooge,'' said the gentleman, taking up a pen, ``it is more than usually desirable that we should make some slight provision for the Poor and destitute, who suffer greatly at the present time. Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir.''

``Are there no prisons?'' asked Scrooge.

``Plenty of prisons,'' said the gentleman, laying down the pen again.

``And the Union workhouses?'' demanded Scrooge. ``Are they still in operation?''

``They are. Still,'' returned the gentleman, `` I wish I could say they were not.''

``The Treadmill and the Poor Law are in full vigour, then?'' said Scrooge.

``Both very busy, sir.''

``Oh! I was afraid, from what you said at first, that something had occurred to stop them in their useful course,'' said Scrooge. ``I'm very glad to hear it.''

``Under the impression that they scarcely furnish Christian cheer of mind or body to the multitude,'' returned the gentleman, ``a few of us are endeavouring to raise a fund to buy the Poor some meat and drink, and means of warmth. We choose this time, because it is a time, of all others, when Want is keenly felt, and Abundance rejoices. What shall I put you down for?''

``Nothing!'' Scrooge replied.

``You wish to be anonymous?''

``I wish to be left alone,'' said Scrooge. ``Since you ask me what I wish, gentlemen, that is my answer. I don't make merry myself at Christmas and I can't afford to make idle people merry. I help to support the establishments I have mentioned: they cost enough: and those who are badly off must go there.''

``Many can't go there; and many would rather die.''

``If they would rather die,'' said Scrooge, ``they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population. Besides -- excuse me -- I don't know that.''

``But you might know it,'' observed the gentleman.

``It's not my business,'' Scrooge returned. ``It's enough for a man to understand his own business, and not to interfere with other people's. Mine occupies me constantly. Good afternoon, gentlemen!''

Seeing clearly that it would be useless to pursue their point, the gentlemen withdrew. Scrooge resumed his labours with an improved opinion of himself, and in a more facetious temper than was usual with him.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 5,378 • Replies: 11
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 02:27 pm
Setanta
I watch that movie two or three times each year. Often in June or July. It is the only film version I totally enjoy.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 02:33 pm
http://www.literature.org/authors/dickens-charles/christmas-carol/
To read Dickens online, here is the link:
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 03:51 pm
Lovely post set
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 06:36 pm
Anyone living in North America north of the Rio Grande, who cannot find the 1951 version of this film, must be living very, very far indeed from the nearest television station. After nearly 60 years, it holds its own against any other film version ever produced.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 06:37 pm
@edgarblythe,
I agree entirely, EB.

Thanks, Pan.
Letty

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 07:20 pm
@Setanta,
I'm not certain whether I've seen that version of Scrooge or not, Setanta, but when I went to Virginia for the memorial service upon the death of my son, I thought about The Shoes of the Fisherman by Morris West.

Anthony Quinn did a movie adapted from the book, and I realized that when the rich young ruler asked Jesus what he must do to have eternal life, Jesus replied:

Sell all that you have and give it to the poor.

The final scene of the movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbBkQYGveHg&feature=related
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2009 12:28 am
This is the classic motion picture version, Miss Lettybettyhettygetty--no attempt to "modernize" or "update" the story, but rather, a period piece done as only the English can do. Made in 1951, it stands up well today, and, in my admittedly anecdotal experience, is the most popular version by far.

I saw it again this evening, and i'll bet i could watch it five or six more times in the next few days, were it not for the probability of attempted homicide by The Girl.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2009 12:55 am
wikipedia

Although the film was first shown on television as far back as 1954 (by local New York station WOR-TV),[1] it did not attain its current popularity in the USA until the 1970s, when it began to be shown on local NET and later PBS, stations. Until then, the most widely seen film version in the U.S. was MGM's 1938 adaptation starring Reginald Owen. The Alastair Sim version had received a favourable notice from The New York Times when it opened in 1951,[2] and a mixed review in Time magazine[3] criticizing the direction while praising the performances, but otherwise had not caused much of a stir. However, in the years since, it has attained classic status in the U.S. and become a favorite of the viewing public as well. Sim's characterisation of Scrooge, from mean and sinister to happy and generous, receives particular praise.

A colourised version of the film was released in 1989, and many of the DVD issues include it as an extra.

Alastair Sim and Michael Hordern reprised their roles two decades later, lending their voices to Richard Williams' 1971 animated version of the tale.

0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2009 01:05 am
We just listened to Patrick Stewart's reading of "A Christmas Carol" on cassette,(I think also available on CD), while wrapping presents. He's done Christmas shows of it in NYC at least twice--not only a totally believable Capt. Jean-Luc Picard, but a masterwork as Ebenezer Scrooge. Sim is definitely the best move Scrooge, Stewart the best audio Scrooge. He gets to me every year.
panzade

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2009 05:48 pm
@MontereyJack,
Patrick Stewart could read the phone book and I'd be enthralled
Green Witch

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2009 06:07 pm
@panzade,
The radio version read by Jonathan Winters is also very good.
0 Replies