Father finally gets his son back

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 12:03 pm
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/L/LT_BRAZIL_US_CUSTODY_BATTLE?SITE=AZMES&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Quote:
RIO DE JANEIRO (AP) -- A New Jersey man and his 9-year-old son were reunited Thursday in Brazil after a five-year international custody battle, and immediately headed home to spend the holidays in the U.S.

I am glad he finally got his son back, but I am also torn.
I can understand the step-fathers side also.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,010 • Replies: 9
No top replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 12:08 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/L/LT_BRAZIL_US_CUSTODY_BATTLE?SITE=AZMES&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Quote:
RIO DE JANEIRO (AP) -- A New Jersey man and his 9-year-old son were reunited Thursday in Brazil after a five-year international custody battle, and immediately headed home to spend the holidays in the U.S.

I am glad he finally got his son back, but I am also torn.

What is the stepfather 's side?
mysteryman

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 12:19 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
He had raised the boy for 5 years, he was married to the boys mother, and he felt that the boy should stay in Brazil with him.
BillRM

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 01:24 pm
@mysteryman,
------------------------------------------------------

However it is my understanding that the mother kidnapped the boy from the father in the first place.

If true that greatly reduce my ability to see the other side of the issue.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 02:32 pm
@mysteryman,
Here the information it started with a "two weeks' trip back to the old homeland.

In other word the child who is a US citizen was removed from our soil under the false pretenses of the mother and kept from his father for five years.

Somehow my willingness to see the other side of this issue in very small to say the least.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The custody battle began when Mr Goldman's wife, Bruna Bianchi, took Sean to her native Brazil ostensibly for a two-week holiday in 2004.

She stayed, got a divorce and married a prominent lawyer, Joao Paulo Lins e Silva.

Mr Goldman launched a legal fight to win custody of his son. When Ms Bianchi died in childbirth in 2008, Mr Lins e Silva continued the battle to keep Sean and won temporary custody.

US President Barack Obama and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton both pressed their Brazilian counterparts on the issue.

Last week, the legal fight appeared over when a Brazilian appeals court ruled that Sean should be handed over to his father.

But when another court ruled against this, US Senator Frank Lautenberg blocked renewal of a trade bill with Brazil.

When news of the Supreme Court's ruling came through, Sen Lautenberg lifted his opposition and the bill was passed unanimously.

Silvana Bianchi said the custody issue had been decided by international pressure.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 02:35 pm
I sympathize with the step father, but favor the real father in the matter. I think the step father was wrong to fight this.
BillRM

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 02:54 pm
@edgarblythe,
Given that the boy should had been return five years ago you are right the step father should had turn over the boy at once.

You know if a man had done the same thing as this lady did we would had been far more outrageous.

Hell there had been even movies make of mothers in the same boat using arm mercenaries teams to retrieved their children taken to third world countries by the fathers under similar situations.

0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 08:59 pm
How about the the boy being lucky enough to be so loved by many people?

T
K
O
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 09:11 pm
the kid is probably a brat. why does everyone assume this kid is some cherubic waif?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 11:50 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

the kid is probably a brat. why does everyone assume this kid is some cherubic waif?
His personality is not our problem,
unless maybe u r gonna invite him to be your guest.

U gonna have him sit on your lap?
0 Replies