Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 08:27 am
Wonderful visual effects.
Cliche storyline, including bungling American military, corporate greed, tough-/hero pilot, woman scientist fighting the system, etc., etc.
Sexy characters.
Wonderfully entertaining.
Long -g-go movie, but keeps moving.
May be too much for little kids.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 14 • Views: 5,482 • Replies: 33
No top replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 08:32 am
@sullyfish6,
Yeh, I saw it. It was good, but not great. The special effects will make it worth seeing again, but the story was weak (IMO).
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 09:23 am
Here's what might turn out to be the normal reaction:

http://hollywoodstfu.blogspot.com/2009/12/avatar-we-see-you.html

You know you've lost it with Hollywood Ca. when you find yourself rooting for the villains in their stupid movies; I was rooting for Daniel Day Louis all the way in Gangs of NY.
DrewDad

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 10:56 am
@gungasnake,
That may be the funniest thing I've read all week.

The guy thinks Cameron is the avatar of a Hollywood conspiracy.

No wonder you like him, Gunga.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 03:12 pm
Best movie I've seen recently has to be Slumdog Millionaire, which is a total opposite of the usual Hollywood product. No big name actors, no megabuck sets or stupid agendas, the film likely could have been made for 100 grand or thereabouts. I mean, Hollywood must really hate seeing something like that.

But the people seem to like movies like that. Same thing with Gran Tourino, just a few cars, an old house, a Catholic church and a bunch of Vietnamese refugees nobody ever heard of and the one actor Eastwood had to pay more than minimum wage was himself and he likely didn't even charge himself more than a couple of dollars over minimum wage. The film takes home all the marbles at the box office and the critics treat it like it didn't exist.

Amazing, isn't it?
engineer

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 03:22 pm
@sullyfish6,
I saw it in 2D and it was fine. Might benefit from 3D, hard to tell. You're right that the cliches were falling fast and furious. Evil corporation, evil military, hard nosed evil general, hard as nails with soft center scientist, etc. Still worth seeing though.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 03:31 pm
I saw it in 3D and enjoyed it very much. Yes, the plot was trite and didn't always make sense, but that lets you focus on all the other elements.

I know a guy who was going to see the IMAX version. I haven't seen him to ask what he thought, but that would be cool to see.
maporsche

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 04:23 pm
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

...and the critics treat it like it didn't exist.

Where did you get this idea? Wasn't this movie nominated for several awards? Great movie, I loved it. But there was no way it was glossed over by the critics.

Maybe it wasn't covered very well in People magazine or Entertainment Weekly (but then, besides summer blockbusters, what is?), but to say that it wasn't reviewed or had wide release would be false.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 04:23 pm
@mac11,
I enjoyed the movie, but didn't really like the 3D.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 07:14 pm
@gungasnake,
Quote:
The film(Gran Torino) takes home all the marbles at the box office and the critics treat it like it didn't exist.

The New Yorker loved it...and I did too
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 07:56 pm
@gungasnake,
I liked Gran Torino. Too bad it wasn't shot in 3D with cartoon like aliens, then it would have been worth billions Wink
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 07:57 pm
@mac11,
mac11 wrote:

I saw it in 3D and enjoyed it very much. Yes, the plot was trite and didn't always make sense, but that lets you focus on all the other elements.

I know a guy who was going to see the IMAX version. I haven't seen him to ask what he thought, but that would be cool to see.

What's the difference between the 3D version and the IMAX 3D version anyway?
rosborne979

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2010 07:39 am
I saw Avatar again, this time in 2D. The 3D version is definitely more visually impressive and immersive. The story was still shallow. Maybe the sequel will be better.

What does everyone think of the upcoming "Wolfman"? Will it be any good?
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2010 07:55 am
@rosborne979,
Bigger screen and more uncomfortable 3D glasses.
rosborne979

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2010 08:08 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

Bigger screen and more uncomfortable 3D glasses.

and maybe the big flying dragon will fly back from the sunset to save the day. Smile
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2010 10:51 am
plot, schmot. It might have gotten in the way of all the eye candy. I'd heard bad reviews before I went and so my expectations were more realistic than if I'd gone the first weekend. We didn't see the 3D version, and were wondering how that would have worked. We all felt it could have been too much.

0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 09:49 pm
Just got home from seeing the 3D version. Pretty impressive...I'd have to say cinema history was made. The plot wasn't a hindrance to the spectacular effects.
I recommend it.
0 Replies

StillwaterRipple

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 01:38 am
people go on and on about Avatar being 'cliche' and predictable. and that is fine. but there are some messages in the film that NEED to be heard by the mass audiences. mostly, the idea that we can become one with nature and mother earth. having lived in Yosemite for 20 years, I am deeply in touch with nature, but fear that the majority of the world is far, far removed from it.

and for the record, i absolutely loved the movie. you don't need to be on drugs when you see it; it is drugs.
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 03:40 pm
Saw it, loved it and it was something different to watch, the story line was alright but it was the special effects that I enjoyed, especially those big birds they flew around on....younger people would get a kick out of it.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 02:22 pm
@sullyfish6,
I'm off to the movie theater now to see it. I will be quite upset if I find it craptastic and I wasted valuable money to see it instead of seeing Up In The Air! Confused

I'm not going to ask for my money back if I end up hating it. However, I will be asking those individuals who repeatedly implored me to see the film in the theaters to commit seppuku! Mad