A2K chat program

Seed

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 06:35 pm
So I consider this site like many other sites online. I collective place where many people can come together and communicate about like interest and topics.

A lot of times though topics lose their flow because some people end up talking off topic between each other and the topic gets de-railed. Now this is much like many other forum boards and what not.

I was just wondering if any thoughts of ever having an internal chat program much like face book and myspace have been thought of? Granted this would probably take a lot of work. In the past there have been attempts by several users to get together in a chat room and talk. So I see it being an option that many users would use. It would also probably mean the installment of friends list as well.

Just wondering.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 2,846 • Replies: 28
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 06:46 pm
@Seed,
We at a2k had chat early on with some floundering - it was difficult with setting time, given the globe, and whether to be general or re subject. A lot of us enjoyed it for a while.

It is near as hard to keep folk on topic on chat as on the boards. People like me don't value precisely on topic as some sacrosanct value. Others do, natural division.
Seed

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 06:52 pm
@ossobuco,
No, osso, not a chat room. More of a messenger service through the forum. If you ever use face book, it allows you to talk one on one with the friends you have on your friends list.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 06:54 pm
@Seed,
If anything it might make a relatively quick and interesting a2k social experiment. I say let's go ahead with this project!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 06:56 pm
@Seed,
Well, Seed, we have pms.
I'll send you one. Look at your inbox on the upper right - that's where you converse by pms. At this point it is on the primitive side but its still very useful.
A hamster will pop up when you have a post awaiting, which I'm glad about.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 07:00 pm
@Seed,
I'd be surprised if that were a priority. There was one on the previous A2k for a bit, but it never worked well.

I think an easy way to do it for people who want to chat might be to co-ordinate chat programs, and send their username to people they want to chat with, or just put it down on a thread here.

That way, if you are online, you can chat with folk.

We used to do it a lot back in the day.

0 Replies

Seed

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 07:07 pm
Oh I understand about the PM's. I remember them as well from the old A2K site. I am a fan of them for long drawn out conversations for people who just cant seem to get online at the same time.

And I can also understand the under taking that it would probably take to get a chat program going for the site. I was just wondering if it was ever thought of being used or not. I think that it would be a good thing honestly. But that's just my opinion.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 07:18 pm
@Seed,
You also have to consider that whatever program you end of using... that you wouldn't want to be too much of a burden on the a2k admins. Wouldn't they need a full time moderator to monitor this as well?
Seed

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 07:22 pm
@tsarstepan,
If it was a chat room, yes. But if it was a program that allowed you, like on face book, to talk to, via a page based client, people on your friends list then I don't see where they were be any need for a moderator.

I can see how this would more of a transformation really for the website and probably not a route the admins would want to go. It was just a thought.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 07:27 pm
I like being able to comment on and feed off other comments. I tend to treat posts here, even if they are some hours old, as if they had just been made.
With a chat program you can only relate to the comments being made at the time.
Seed

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 07:35 pm
@dadpad,
You could still do that. The kind of program that I am talking about would have no effect on posting in a thread.

Think of it like this:
I am posting in a thread and I see the Osso has made a comment. I look on my friend list (something that would have to be created, which goes along with the creation of the chat program) and I want to have a one on one conversation with her about something that is not on topic with the thread. I don't want to use a PM and leave the page I am on. So instead I click on her name via the friends list and a little window pops up that allows her and I to have a one on one conversation about what ever without derailing the current progression of the thread.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 02:55 am
@Seed,
Here you go:

And you can put it in any thread you want (or in your profile) using this code:

Code:[flash]http://widget.meebo.com/mcr.swf?id=qWZxlrGrZb[/flash]

Of course, it's not the same as linking to it prominently site-wide, but that kind of thing is not in the short-term plans right now.
dlowan

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 05:03 pm
People chatting in the chat room folks!

Roll up! Roll up to the chat room!!!!
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 05:04 pm

we (dlowan, ticomaya and myself) are currently chatting up a frickin' storm...
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 06:47 pm
come chat with us aussies (and seed)
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 07:14 pm
and tico and tsart are here too
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 08:58 pm
Bump.