A personal relationship with God.

spendius

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2009 05:48 pm
@High Seas,
Quote:
What is the difference between telling a lie and telling an epic tale?

One is his story and the other is her story told in a fashion that those who can't understand it don't deserve to.
Jason Proudmoore

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2009 10:22 pm
@High Seas,
Quote:
If you can't tell the difference between the 2, your problems lie far beyond what I can repair online ...... Good luck to you too!

No problems here...but evidently your problems lie especially in your inability to distinguish a lie from another lie...
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2009 02:15 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:
What is the difference between telling a lie and telling an epic tale?

One is his story and the other is her story told in a fashion that those who can't understand it don't deserve to.

You got to stop posting while dead drunk....... that was posted by someone else, quoted by me - as is made amply clear by the QUOTE box....... : http://able2know.org/topic/139184-9#post-3855784
spendius

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2009 02:57 pm
@High Seas,
You'll have to forgive me HS. I don't know what you are talking of. I thought I was agreeing with you and reinforcing what you said.

High Seas

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2009 03:11 pm
@spendius,
It wasn't I who said that, it was Jason - you want to agree with him, go right ahead. Happy new year.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2009 03:12 pm
@High Seas,
are you getting enough fiber?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2009 04:22 pm
@High Seas,
You said HS-- "If you can't tell the difference between the 2, your problems lie far beyond what I can repair online."

I agreed with that by drawing the distinction between history and herstory and implying that herstory is in epic form and is not a lie as history is without it and, further, hinting that for those who don't know the difference it is, as you say, beyond repair.
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 03:50 pm
So, did we return to "A personal relationship with God?"

Since God is within us, what other relationship would we have? We are not the animals God forgot. We have a map to follow, a plan, therefore, within us, just as birds know how to fly south, caterpillars climb into a cocoon they themselves construct. We could allow that part of us to shine thru, the part that is individuality, instead of the personality with all its guilts, worries, low self esteem and confidence. Don't ye know ye are Gods?!

So, if there is trulyGod within us, how would one go about connecting with that part of ourselves?
fresco

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 04:43 pm
@Pemerson,
...or maybe "God" is the palliative solution to our suspicion and fear that there is no "plan". What you call "connecting with God" others have called "an opiate". The interesting question is whether we can transcend thinking in terms of "plans" and whether "God" is still required after such a transcendence.
spendius

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 05:40 pm
@fresco,
Do you accept palliatives as a general principle fresco or do you think they are a weakness?
spendius

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 05:42 pm
@spendius,
I hope you don't think my over and under electric blankets are an evolutionary dysfunctional self indulgence.
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 07:56 pm
@fresco,
I will honor you by trying to answer what you just said, because I do admire you, and your complex manner of speaking.

I think perhaps we are already connected with this source or force. We ARE this force. We probably could remove, or exorcise, whatever isn't this part of us. Or, ignore it, give it no power. The opposite force or source would be that part of us that tells us we can't reach our potential, or plan - so, we get involved in the dramas of this physical existence - our silly affairs, arguments, competitions, most of all worrying about the past. I do this myself, so what I should do is get the heck busy and get back to what talents I have developed - do my work. We can only speak from ourselves.

I think "taking an opiate" has naught to do with anything - except taking an opiate. It's like drinking, sooner or later we'd have to quit - and get back to our work! Put all that loooooove we are looking for into our work. We really, all, do know what to do. So, are we doing it, or not? The work, that is.
fresco

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 12:29 am
@Pemerson,
Your metaphor of "force" still involves the idea of "plan" because in physics force has "direction". It may be that only a fraction of the world population will ever have the "luxury" of thinking about "direction". The majority will continue to struggle for existence in an evolutionary manner. For them , theistic opiates are what makes their existence tolerable.
Francis

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 01:46 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:
For them , theistic opiates are what makes their existence tolerable.

It's worth reminding (and be compassionate)..
spendius

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 05:27 am
@Francis,
One can just as easily say that atheistic opiates make existences tolerable. It is something of a luxury to go against received opinion without the risk of persecution.

And it suggests that the received opinion is so confident that it can brush off opposition as of no account and presenting little danger. The absence of persecution being then proof of the pointlessness of the opposition.

When such opposition can only speak in abstract terms avoiding any discussions and formulations of the practicalities of the direction of the way forward it is easy to discern the palliative nature of its pretence to be dealing with serious issues. It can almost be seen as the mere pleasure at the sound of its own voice when it has found itself to be politically inert.

The sound of failed ambition can be heard in every pub of the land.
Francis

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 06:35 am
@spendius,
Just for the sake of talking..

Spendy, at the best of his rhetorics, wrote:
One can just as easily say that atheistic opiates make existences tolerable.

Which are?

and wrote:
It is something of a luxury to go against received opinion without the risk of persecution.

That, obviously, is addressed to the layman. I, on the other hand, am ready to face perilous challenges.

and wrote:
And it suggests that the received opinion is so confident that it can brush off opposition as of no account and presenting little danger.

Indeed..

and wrote:
The absence of persecution being then proof of the pointlessness of the opposition.

Same as above...

Spendi, indulging in the same antics as the posters he challenges, wrote:
When such opposition can only speak in abstract terms avoiding any discussions and formulations of the practicalities of the direction of the way forward it is easy to discern the palliative nature of its pretence to be dealing with serious issues. It can almost be seen as the mere pleasure at the sound of its own voice when it has found itself to be politically inert.

Don't you like the sound of your own voice?

and wrote:
The sound of failed ambition can be heard in every pub of the land.

Hmm, maybe that's why I don't do pubs...
spendius

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 09:07 am
@Francis,
Quote:
Which are?

I don'r believe you couldn't provide yourself with a hydra-item list Francois.

Quote:
That, obviously, is addressed to the layman.

Obviously.

Quote:
I, on the other hand, am ready to face perilous challenges.

That I don't believe.

Quote:
Don't you like the sound of your own voice?

Without it the opposition has a free hand.

Quote:
Hmm, maybe that's why I don't do pubs...

I didn't say that the sound of failed ambition was the only thing to be heard in pubs.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 09:14 am
Spendi wrote:
Francis wrote:
I, on the other hand, am ready to face perilous challenges.

That I don't believe.

Obviously, here we differ on the concept of perilous challenges.

Yours is, understandably, a debate on a public forum...
spendius

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 11:07 am
@Francis,
Which fact gives the opposition an unfair advantage. They can talk about the palliatives of others as if they are a weakness and the exposure of their own palliatives is not considered acceptable.

I think you can always step on a airplane with your international bank book and decamp if any challenges become seriously perilious.
Francis

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 11:13 am
@spendius,
Mere assumption on your part I don't even feel compelled to oppose or contradict.

Which, obviously, gives you an unfair advantage.

But I don't mind..
0 Replies