restraining orders with christian teeth

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 09:00 am
good on them

Quote:
Imagine having your own personal bodyguard outside your home all day and all night at no cost. That’s what an Albuquerque non-profit group is providing, specifically for abused women.

There are a lot of women in Albuquerque who feel helpless and vulnerable when they file a restraining order against a violent ex, and they’re sitting at home with no one to protect them. But now, those women have a new, unique service to turn to for help.

Equipped with video camera, walkie-talkies, and a lot of patience " these bodyguards are on the lookout.

A woman thinks her ex is going to pay her a visit at home despite a restraining order against him. Bodyguards have seen pictures of him, they know the history of the relationship and they sit and wait all night long for the guy to show up " and they are doing it for free.

“Our first priority is to de-escalate the situation. We’re not trying to be the baddest kid on the block or anything else, we’re not trying to physically abuse the subject,” says Douglas Muhu, President of Ordo Dei Imperceptus.

This is a religious, but non-denominational group aimed at helping defenseless women who are at risk of being abused by spouses or exes.

“The only way to actually solve that is to provide 24/7 protection, the police can’t do that, they do not have the manpower and they don’t have the resources, so it comes down to our community doing it themselves,” adds Muhu.

If a guy shows up who shouldn’t be there, the volunteers will try and talk the man into leaving the place peacefully. Some of the bodyguards are armed, others are not. At worst they will make a citizens arrest. Either way, every encounter is documented and forwarded to Albuquerque Police.

Tania Serrano-Guerra is their first client. Since November, she says her ex-husband had violated a restraining order six times. She has volunteer bodyguards following her when she runs errands around town.

“They’ve followed me to one appointment, I also have numerous doctors appointments because of health problems and that’s where he’s going to catch me, somewhere like that. I think it’s great, I think it’s actually a resource that is needed,” adds Serrano-Guerra.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 1,057 • Replies: 13
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 10:07 am
@dyslexia,
Excellent!

In the last few weeks here, 7 women have been killed, along with a few kids, and a few suicides of the men who killed them.

They say that the time when a woman first leaves a man is the most dangerous time of her life.

Bravo to the bodyguards. I hope their presence is enough to keep the women safe and that not a one of them gets caught in the crossfire.
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 10:23 am
M-M-M Legal lilabilities would be interesting.

This is a good idea, but I wish it were professional law enforcement officers doing this.

'Bout time churches started reaching out into the community to see the needs of the entire population. I'd like to see this expanded to senior citizen protection and kids walking to school. In Detroit, you cannot even let your little girl walk to or from school alone or even with just a few kids.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 10:34 am
I wish it was professional law enforcement types too.

But whose going to pay for that? I don't see people jumping up and down volunteering to get their taxes raised.
dyslexia

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 12:25 pm
upon further reading, their primary focus is simply being there, running interference and video-taping which is then passed on to the PD. I sincerely applaud their efforts as well as their "christianity".
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 01:09 pm
I concur.

This is an excellent thing.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 01:10 pm
great idea
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 01:24 pm
I just hope they screen their people well.
When push comes to shove, shove may come to blows.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 05:30 pm
@boomerang,
Quote:
I wish it was professional law enforcement types too.

But whose going to pay for that? I don't see people jumping up and down volunteering to get their taxes raised.

Talk to Ican or Okie. I'm sure they'd mount a campaign to raise taxes for such a worthwhile project in a heartbeat.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 10:26 pm
Wow!!!

I am more used to christians attempting to force women back to abusive relationships,
Ionus

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 10:30 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
I am more used to christians attempting to force women back to abusive relationships,

I dont think a true Christian would ever force a woman back into a relationship where she was abusing a man.
dlowan

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 10:57 pm
@Ionus,
Tell the christians that.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 11:33 pm
I may flume with opinions, but I'm not entirely anti christian, catholic, or other, and I like their taking up of a task.
I have a slight fear about all this, similar to fears about the Guardian Angels.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 13 Dec, 2009 02:21 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I may flume with opinions, but I'm not entirely anti christian, catholic, or other, and I like their taking up of a task.
I have a slight fear about all this, similar to fears about the Guardian Angels.
U r afraid of the Guardian Angels ?
0 Replies