quiz question

aidan

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 05:06 am
Okay, my quiz buddy went to a quiz the other day that I didn't go to and he came back with this question for me:

Two boys who were born on the same date in the same year but are not twins are sitting across from their natural mother. How is this possible?

I tried all the trick answers - one was adopted (no - they're sitting across from their natural birth mother) they were EACH sitting across from their natural mother- in other words - two boys, two mothers....NO- two boys one natural birth mother.

He's very, very intelligent, but he didn't get it. Only one lady got it and there were sixteen teams of four. He won't tell me the answer until the next quiz which is a week and a half from now.
I really want to know the answer. I've already told him I can't get it on my own so I'll ask other people.
Anyone have any ideas?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 886 • Replies: 11
No top replies

jespah

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 05:23 am
@aidan,
It's a leap year and they're Irish twins.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 06:33 am
They were gestated by surrogates using the mother's eggs?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 06:40 am
@aidan,
Triplets?
boomerang

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 06:43 am
@dlowan,
I'll bet you're right, dlowan!
dlowan

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 06:45 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

I'll bet you're right, dlowan!

Seems too obvious to be right.
aidan

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 02:01 pm
@dlowan,
It fits for sure, but this guy usually doesn't go for those trick sort of questions - they're usually questions that test knowledge of concepts or facts-not that sort of 'gotcha' trying to fool you kind of thing.
That's why I like to go - I always learn A LOT- because they aren't questions like this.
But then again, I don't know if it was the usual guy doing the quiz - I wasn't there. It could have been someone else whose modus operandi is to try to baffle- which he successfully did apparently as no one at the quiz was thinking of it that way either.
These are really, really smart people and only one lady got it and Rob said it seemed like she'd heard the question before.

Anyway - I'll ask him. Thanks.
George

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 02:31 pm
Anything to do with "superfetation"?
aidan

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 02:59 pm
@George,
Ah-hah! That works...and even if that's not the answer he was looking for - it's correct AND I learned something I didn't know! Thanks George.
Quote:
Superfetation (also spelt superfoetation - see fetus) is the formation of a fetus from a different menstrual cycle while another embryo is already present in the uterus. When there are two separate instances of fertilisation during the same cycle, it is known as superfecundation.

Superfetation is claimed to be common in some species of animals, but is extremely rare in humans. It can occur only where there are two uteri, or where the menstrual cycle continues through pregnancy. The risk with superfetation is that the second baby is often born prematurely

(the bolded part could explain how they were born on the same day).
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 04:11 pm
@aidan,
Quote:
That's why I like to go - I always learn A LOT- because they aren't questions like this.

But what you learn at such places is infinitessimal compared with what there is to know and at best you become fragmented and at worst are being steered. And the cleverer you are made to think yourself the easier it is to steer you.
aidan

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 12:56 am
@spendius,
I'll tell you the main things I'm learning:

1) geography. Because of the particular and specific timing of my school years in the American public school educational system, I learned very little geography. In the seventies when I hit junior high and highschool, which is when I would have taken geography - they switched the focus and even the name of the curriculum to Social Studies. We focused on things like current events and issues and sociological trends, etc. thus I got very little history and almost NO geography to speak of.
And because I really like current event and issues and studying sociological trends, I didn't really think about or explore that which I was missing.

But when I am exposed to geography and history- I remember that I like it. I love reading and looking at maps, etc. I won't go back to school, so this is a pleasant way to be exposed to these little tidbits which then inspire me to read and learn more on my own.
It's also fun, if you have a fun team- and we do.

2)The other thing I've learned which I hadn't ever really thought about before, is how different a British life and education was as compared to an American life and education experienced at the same time. My teammates are constantly amazed at what I was exposed to and know as compared to what they were exposed to and know and vice versa.
We were living in the world at the same exact time, but our experiences were so different. It's interesting.

Quote:
And the cleverer you are made to think yourself the easier it is to steer you
Laughing Laughing
Yeah, well I'm good for music and state capitals, some movie and book questions and a laugh or two.
I have no illusions about why I'm on the team.
aidan

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 02:23 am
@aidan,
I'm also very good at current events- see that Social Studies mindset HAS paid off.
0 Replies