What Did Jesus Sacrifice?

djjd62

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 07:41 pm
i don't get why anybody cares what somebody cares about what i believe or don't

i like a good argument as much as the next guy, but if i was a christian and somebody came around ragging on god or jesus or the bible i can't see getting upset, of course maybe that would make me a very bad christian, perhaps why i'm not one, who knows

Seed

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 08:07 pm
I take away the subject of religion and it's pretty much the same song in dance with any topic. It's probably a flaw that I have, but I try to see the eternal good in people and believe that the best way to interact with people should be with respect but then again, it's about the stupidest thing one could hope for.
rosborne979

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 09:11 pm
@Seed,
Seed wrote:

I take away the subject of religion and it's pretty much the same song in dance with any topic. It's probably a flaw that I have, but I try to see the eternal good in people and believe that the best way to interact with people should be with respect but then again, it's about the stupidest thing one could hope for.

It's possible to respect people without respecting their ideas.
Jason Proudmoore

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 09:13 pm
@Seed,
Who are these people who are "willing to leap at people's throats at the slight slant towards Christianity"? I haven't met one. Why is it that religious people, (especially Christians) feel persecuted by atheists here in the US. Christians in the US is proximately 70 to 80 percent while the percentage of atheists is about 16.... I am an atheist, and I treat any belief based on insufficient evidence equally...there are people out there who believe that Tupac, Elvis, and Michael Jackson are still alive, and they are easily criticized for their belief...and why would Christianity or any other religion be excepted from such critique?
djjd62

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 09:16 pm
@rosborne979,
yup
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 09:18 pm
@Jason Proudmoore,
i believe that elvis, tupac and michael jackson were all the same person, i don't recall ever seeing them in the same room at the same time
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 10:04 pm
@Jason Proudmoore,
I have yet to see doctrine, structure, millions of followers praying to these people to cure their illness'. To make them walk. To give them strength.

I mean why would someone feel the need to take the time out of their busy lives to look down on them and use your facts to try and make them doubt what ever it is that brings happiness and joy to them.
Jason Proudmoore

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 11:26 pm
@Seed,
What illnesses do these followers cure with the power of prayer? There have been several scientific researches about whether prayer actually works to cure people of their illnesses...it was conducted by Harvard Medical School...and guess what? it doesn't work... so...name me a case in which prayer has contributed to the cure of any affliction.

I take my time out of my busy life to tell the "sheep" that believing in unsupported things is not productive for humanity...instead, it is detrimental...I do this because I care, and I want the "sheep" to be sheep no more, so they can think for themselves and stop the manipulative movement which is religion...humans are easily deceived...and when you can't question a doctrine or dogma because God or gods don't want you to or because the pastor doesn't have a clue of what he's preaching, it's a big problem...

If you had six months to live and the doctor told you that you will live up to a thousand years, wouldn't you be happy?...of course you're going to be happy...the doctor is telling you a big, fat lie... giving you a big lollipop...just like religion...I am concerned about finding the truth....you should too.

I think that too much critical inquiry is not the problem here; it is the lack of it...

Intrepid

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 11:51 pm
@Jason Proudmoore,
If you are an atheist, that is fine. That is your choice and you are fortunately living in a country where you can make most any decision for yourself that you like. Those who have a faith have the same right.

I am curious as to why you started this thread or many of the other threads you posted in in the past. If you do not believe, then why would you ask questions about something that, according to you, does not exist.

Seems rather pointless.
eoe

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 11:53 pm
@Intrepid,
Amen.
0 Replies

Jason Proudmoore

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 12:10 am
@Intrepid,
If you carefully read what I posted, you would've known why I created this thread...I created this thread in the attempt to make Christians question their own Christianity, their belief, to question their own doctrine, because I care...you do that by asking questions...no? If I asked people, who believe that Tupac still alive, to present the evidence that shows that Tupac is actually alive, doesn't mean I'm going to believe them...I just want to understand and helpt them and tell them why Tupac can't be alive....to you it may seem pointless...but it is not. You may not understand.
BillRM

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 05:09 am
@Seed,
@Jason Proudmoore,
I have yet to see doctrine, structure, millions of followers praying to these people to cure their illness'. To make them walk. To give them strength.

I mean why would someone feel the need to take the time out of their busy lives to look down on them and use your facts to try and make them doubt what ever it is that brings happiness and joy to them.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That happiness and joy can end up at a Jonetown or a child not getting needed medical care and as a result dying or the killing of a doctor in front of his own church or............................
Intrepid

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 06:21 am
@Jason Proudmoore,
You have set a formidable task for yourself.

It seems that you do have the rantings and ramblings of Bill on your side. Smile
dlowan

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 06:33 am
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

I'd guess he sacrificed breakfast.

And crucifixion is likely quite nasty indeed.

But yes, as compared with being some fragment (or whole) of some sort of god, and being eternal and omniscient and omnipotent (not at all convinced of the benevolent bit) and all that (as long as you didn't get bored easily) I don't think it's that much of a big deal.

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 06:34 am
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:

[
You must forgive them for they know not what they do.

Do so.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 07:15 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:
i don't get why anybody cares what somebody cares about what i believe or don't

i like a good argument as much as the next guy, but if i was a christian and somebody came around ragging on god or jesus or the bible i can't see getting upset, of course maybe that would make me a very bad christian, perhaps why i'm not one, who knows

I love this one. The likelihood is that the great majority of those who regularly post here are at least nominally Christians. The great majority of those don't respond to attempts to jerk their respective chains in the matter--they just ignore attempts at provocation.

It's the one's who lose it and respond angrily or in a self-righteous manner who provide the entertainment--good sport ! ! !
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 10:36 am
@Intrepid,
A fairy tale believer why am I not at all surprise.

In fact it is not even an interesting fairy tale such as Alice and the looking glass.

Jason Proudmoore

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 12:06 pm
@BillRM,
There must be a reason why shamans, witch doctors, and pastors don't work at hospitals...
0 Replies

Jason Proudmoore

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 12:14 pm
@Intrepid,
I made it my task to spread the "word" of reason.

And it is not "rantings nor ramblings" when something makes sense...
Setanta

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 12:16 pm
@Jason Proudmoore,
Jason Proudmoore wrote:
And it is not "rantings nor ramblings" when something makes sense...

When do we get to see that part?