What Did Jesus Sacrifice?

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 11:59 pm
Hi, guys. long time no chat. I decided to pass by and leave you with a piece of my mind.... I wanted to ask you, guys, a question that had puzzled me for a long time now... here goes...
If Jesus Christ physically suffered, died, and three days later rose from the dead to ascend to Heaven and for ever rule the world and the entire cosmos with his father (himself), what did he sacrifice ? If he suffered for a little bit here on Earth, what was his sacrifice? Many of the historical heroes in secular history who have died for the betterment of humanity are still dead...that's sacrifice....
And thank you for your responses ...

Setanta

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 03:06 am
Now there's pot stirring for you . . .
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 05:49 am
@Jason Proudmoore,
This is a myth so making sense is not a requirement.

Second for an All-Powerful god to lower himself to have his son and at the same time a one in three part of him to assume human form is a sacrifice on it face.

Not to mention allowing humans to torture him slowly to death and all for the stated purpose of saving our souls from our sins.

As already stated a myth does not need to follow logic and at ten I became a non-believer when the bible as a whole fail to meet even a ten year olds common sense standards.

tycoon

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 10:53 am
As someone else has observed, he really made no sacrifice. He merely had a bad weekend.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 11:03 am
I'd guess he sacrificed breakfast.
rosborne979

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 05:30 pm
@Jason Proudmoore,
Jason Proudmoore wrote:
What Did Jesus Sacrifice?

Nothing. Because he didn't exist.
Seed

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 05:43 pm
@BillRM,
I mean no disrespect when I say this. But why is it the form of most non believers to when they start to talk about religious principles or beliefs or something along those lines that they have to say it in like the most disrespectful way. I just dont get it.
eoe

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 05:50 pm
@Seed,
It helps them feel superior to us 'peones' who believe. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 05:51 pm
@Seed,
Seed wrote:

I mean no disrespect when I say this. But why is it the form of most non believers to when they start to talk about religious principles or beliefs or something along those lines that they have to say it in like the most disrespectful way. I just dont get it.

I think one reason is because the questions and statements that start religious discussions are often disingenuous, like the one that started this thread.

This thread isn't really a question, it's simply an opportunity to preach, or to "spread the word". If it was an honest attempt to understand something, then I don't think the responses would be the same.
Seed

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 06:06 pm
@rosborne979,
Well even then I feel like it could be handled better. I understand that people dont like one thing or another. I also understand it is many peoples drive to get people to believe in the same thing that they believe in. Hence the vast amount of different religions. But also hence the millions that have died over these vast religions. I just always thought that you can get more bees with honey.
rosborne979

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 06:22 pm
@Seed,
Seed wrote:
Well even then I feel like it could be handled better.

I'm just explaining why I think you see the type of responses you do. Many people don't like being preached at, just like they don't enjoy getting spam in their Email box. A few times is tolerable, but too much is too much.
BillRM

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 06:26 pm
@Seed,
Seed to me Jesus is about as real or unreal as Zeus and therefore I would treat someone defending the supernatural existed of Jesus with the same respect or lack of respect as if someone was seriously trying to defend a believe in Zeus.

Intrepid

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 06:27 pm
@Seed,
Seed wrote:

Seed,
You must forgive them for they know not what they do.
Intrepid

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 06:30 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

Seed wrote:
Well even then I feel like it could be handled better.

I'm just explaining why I think you see the type of responses you do. Many people don't like being preached at, just like they don't enjoy getting spam in their Email box. A few times is tolerable, but too much is too much.

It if curious that many, if not most, threads in the religious section are started by non believers to begin with. Pot stirring, as Setanta said, is a very probable reason for starting the threads and then the non believers erroneously think the thread is started by a believer and then it flies.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 06:34 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Seed to me Jesus is about as real or unreal as Zeus and therefore I would treat someone defending the supernatural existed of Jesus with the same respect or lack of respect as if someone was seriously trying to defend a believe in Zeus.

I have never seen a religious person (Christian) show disrespect for Zeus, Buddha, or any deity or idol of worship that someone may have. I have also not seen the same towards atheists, until they cannot take the disrespect they get.

To disagree is acceptable. To show utter and complete disrespec for no other reason than non agreement is quite another and certainly not a sign of a mature individual.
dyslexia

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 06:57 pm
@Intrepid,
Quote:
I have never seen a religious person (Christian) show disrespect for Zeus, Buddha, or any deity or idol of worship that someone may have. I have also not seen the same towards atheists,
I'd have to say you don't get around very much. While there are (percentage wise) a large number of overly hostile atheists, when it comes to shear numbers in the US overt hostility is owned by the christian zealots.
Seed

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 07:08 pm
@dyslexia,
I will agree with you. There are so many people willing to leap at peoples throats at the slight slant towards Christianity. I honestly don't understand where it comes from.
Intrepid

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 07:18 pm
@dyslexia,
Well, I don't get to the U.S. very much it is true. When it comes to Christian zealots you are most likely correct. Fortunately, I really don't know any of them.

I do find, at least on this site, that many of those who have a view other than Christianity are hostile to the nth degree when it comes to religion. Many, of course, are more respectful and can discuss without using silly and childish words to describe God and/or Jesus and those who believe and follow them.

The only difference between a Christian and an atheist is that one believes and the other does not. I have many non believing friends but they at least we can have mutual respect for each other as a person.
dyslexia

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 07:25 pm
@Intrepid,
Quote:
I have many non believing friends but they at least we can have mutual respect for each other as a person.
well, that's the bottom line isn't it?
Seed

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 07:35 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

Quote:
I have many non believing friends but they at least we can have mutual respect for each other as a person.
well, that's the bottom line isn't it?

That is the bottom line. I mean getting everyone to get along and what not.
0 Replies